X

oil for katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
    I've always been an over-night drainer as well, for well over 20 years.

What's the difference on the Kats?
    A bit over a half-liter of oil in my experience. Given a 5.1 liter total oil capacity in which normally 3.7 liters [72% of capacity] gets changed (10-15 minute drain time), that overnight drain raises it up to 4.3 liters (84% of the oil changed). Drain the oil cooler at the same time, and that number climbs to around 90-95%...
    Moisture? It will drain out via gravity
    Animals? I haven't found anything that wants to crawl up my drain bolt hole (or my fumoto valve) -- and anything that could fit through there (bugs) would be something that the engine could readily chop to shreds without damage to the metal

Quit trying to scare the man needlessly!

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

I drained about 3/4 of a quart out of it all good now.

Comment

You guys ever leave the drain plug open and pour a few containers of oil through to get the small pool of dirty oil out?
        I have on my Supra when I had it. But, It's not something I did more than a few times.
        I invite you to church.

Comment

Originally posted by fireball 440 View Post
          I drained about 3/4 of a quart out of it all good now.
          Good on ya fireball!!

Comment

I just picked up a 92 Katana 600 yesterday and I can't tell what type of oil is in it. It was changed at a dealership but the previous owner isn't sure which type it was. Do katana's come from the factory with regular or synthetic?

Comment

Originally posted by cbrnub View Post
              I just picked up a 92 Katana 600 yesterday and I can't tell what type of oil is in it. It was changed at a dealership but the previous owner isn't sure which type it was. Do katana's come from the factory with regular or synthetic?
              A '92 would have come with dino oil -- but for your sake, I really hope the oil in it wasn't the original oil from when it was build

As for dino vs. synthetic -- it'll run happily on either or a mix of both, as long as they are suitable for a wet-clutch and are in the right weight-class.

See the oil guide in my post above.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Can I use full synthetic oil

Hey should I use full synthetic oil or something else

Comment

Originally posted by razgriz47 View Post
                  Hey should I use full synthetic oil or something else

Should you, as in... is it important one way or the other?

No. Entirely up to you. What is important is choosing an oil that is compatible with your wet clutch. So no car auto oils.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I run regular 15w-40 dino oil from the local bike shop and a Suzuki filter. Never had a single problem related to the oil in the 12,000 miles I ran it last summer. My car requires synthetic, and I believe synthetic to be superior, but the bike has been fine. I'll probably do synthetic next oil change. At the moment, I'd say put whatever motorcycle oil you can source locally in it, and RIDE.

Comment

Originally posted by slotzero View Post
                      You'll stir up a hornets nest with that question!

Many here (including myself) run Shell Rotella T that you can get about anywhere, including walmart. $11 for a gallon of the 15w-40 conventional and $19 for the 5w-40 synth.

BTW Advance Auto Parts has this on sale until Sept 30 for like $9.
                      I have Rotella t6 in mine right now will any of the T series work or only t6 I ask because t1 is cheap .

Comment

Originally posted by magman View Post
                        I have Rotella t6 in mine right now will any of the T series work or only t6 I ask because t1 is cheap .
                        Well, T6 is fully synthetic, and 5w. Imo, I'm not running a 5w oil in a air-cooled bike that has any age to it. The T5 is a semi-synthetic, the T1 is straight grade dino. The T3 and T5 I believe do not meet JASO-MA criteria. Could be wrong about that. Those are HD oils, or diesel oils. You could venture over to other diesel oils such as the Mobil Delo oils. Me personally? Spend the extra money once or twice a riding season and spring for the Mobil 1 10w40 4T race oil. Best stuff ever! I'd put this up against any Ams Oil, Royal Purple, or Brad Penn.
                        '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                          Well, T6 is fully synthetic, and 5w. Imo, I'm not running a 5w oil in a air-cooled bike that has any age to it. The T5 is a semi-synthetic, the T1 is straight grade dino. The T3 and T5 I believe do not meet JASO-MA criteria. Could be wrong about that. Those are HD oils, or diesel oils. You could venture over to other diesel oils such as the Mobil Delo oils. Me personally? Spend the extra money once or twice a riding season and spring for the Mobil 1 10w40 4T race oil. Best stuff ever! I'd put this up against any Ams Oil, Royal Purple, or Brad Penn.
                          Sounds like a winner to me thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                          X