X

170/60 Rear Tire - '06 Kat 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 170/60 Rear Tire - '06 Kat 750?

Can I go to a 170/60 on the rear of my '06 Kat 750? If so, any real world feedback, pros and cons, going to the larger tire? In case you're wondering, I run a 120/70 front.

There are a few manfs. that have the 4.5" rim within their specs for that size tire. Going to a larger size tire will slow down your turning, the bike won't tip in as quickly.
    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
    BMC Notorious 918 HT
    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Bikes are manufactured with a certain tire size ... for a good reason .. the bike was designed for it !!

My opinion ... you want a fat tire ... you buy a bike that was designed for one

But again what does bike manufacturer knows
      Guylaine
      Try and keep up now

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
        Bikes are manufactured with a certain tire size ... for a good reason .. the bike was designed for it !!

+1 for Sky!

No reason for a 170 on the rear of a katana, you wont spin the rear tire up at the while apexing, it wont slip on a "hard" pull from a redlight (hard, not insane) and the weight is carried just fine by a 150 or a 160 size tire.

That was my opinion, now to answer your question,

You can fit a 200 size rear tire with the right amound of work & modifications. For every little bit you add in the rear, you slow your turns, adversely affect your handling, and like like mud tires on a caddilac you still wont look cool
        Currently Riding:
        1995 Katana 600
        V&H Exhaust
        Jet Kit

SOLD
        2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
        1987 XV700 Bobber
        REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

There's already this subject on the first page of this forum.

If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
          Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
          Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post

Funny thing is, I don't remember questioning the bike manufacturers knowledge. I simply asked if a 170 tire would fit, guess you missed that part.

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
            There's already this subject on the first page of this forum.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88659

Nope, that question was aimed at a specific brand. My question was more general.

Next you'll be telling me to use the "search" function. Did that too. Heard the same thing over and over (anybody can read an article and then simply regurgitate the info) but curious to know if anyone has actually TRIED this, hence the term "real world" feedback.

Honestly, not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to get an informed answer!!!
            Last edited by Katharsis; 02-05-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post

.....and like like mud tires on a caddilac you still wont look cool

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Katharsis View Post
                Can I go to a 170/60 on the rear of my '06 Kat 750? If so, any real world feedback, pros and cons, going to the larger tire? In case you're wondering, I run a 120/70 front.

Sorry, I can't help you. But I do imagine you will hear from some shortly. In my world.... do as you please

Comment

I'll be totally honest with you katharsis, currently I am running a 160, with plans to go much wider (180). I have been doing some measuring, and although the 170 will fit the wheel fine, I think you will have to modify your brake torque arm for it to clear. Anything over 170 and you should invest in a wider rear wheel from a gsxr,tlr, busa...etc. The stock post 98 kat wheel is 4.5 wide, while a 600/750 gsxr wheel is 5.5, and the busa wheel 6.0. I know of one person currently running a 190 tire on a 6.0 busa wheel, and it took a hell of a lot of work to make it right.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                    I'll be totally honest with you katharsis, currently I am running a 160, with plans to go much wider (180). I have been doing some measuring, and although the 170 will fit the wheel fine, I think you will have to modify your brake torque arm for it to clear. Anything over 170 and you should invest in a wider rear wheel from a gsxr,tlr, busa...etc. The stock post 98 kat wheel is 4.5 wide, while a 600/750 gsxr wheel is 5.5, and the busa wheel 6.0. I know of one person currently running a 190 tire on a 6.0 busa wheel, and it took a hell of a lot of work to make it right.
                    Pre vs Post swingarm has minor differences, but you can get a good idea of what your looking at doing just to get the swingarm and brakearm adjusted to fit larger sized rims here... If you want to stick with using a Kat swingarm.

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

This does not include the other adjustments you would probably have to make to the subframe for example to accomadate larger tires.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I've already got mine mapped out, and the swingarm done, just waiting for a wheel. Thanks though Kreylyn.

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                        I've already got mine mapped out, and the swingarm done, just waiting for a wheel. Thanks though Kreylyn.
                        In that case, I'm just waiting for pics!...

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

look at my profile

Comment

Jesus dude, I was thinking you were talking starting with stock.

You could fit just about any size rim you want with that swingarm...

Check the bearing sizes, you probably can find a matching busa rim that will have the same OD as your Kat bearings. Then you would just need a spacer adjustment probably.

Can't see how you have the brake arm done in that pic, so might need to adjust that. Or, as was recomended to me.. go with the newer style GSXR that uses no arm.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              Jesus dude, I was thinking you were talking starting with stock.

You could fit just about any size rim you want with that swingarm...

Check the bearing sizes, you probably can find a matching busa rim that will have the same OD as your Kat bearings. Then you would just need a spacer adjustment probably.

Can't see how you have the brake arm done in that pic, so might need to adjust that. Or, as was recomended to me.. go with the newer style GSXR that uses no arm.

Krey

nah, I got a bug up my butt to try the stretch late last summer, so I've been piecing it together all winter long. I was gonna do a 6 inch busa wheel with a 190, but my buddy did that to his pre (10 inches over), and said it was a complete biotch, so I'm gonna stick with a 5.5 for now. The brake arm isn't on in that pic, it's basically stretched out 6 inches to match the arm. Right now it's fine with the 160 on it, but when i go wider I'll have to tweak it a bit I'm sure. I am planning on posting a whole build thread when it's done, so all the flamers can have something to whine about.

Comment

Working...
                              X