X

Howto - Plastic repair

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris438 View Post
    Do you use this for the small surface cracks/scraps?

Will regular bondo ad-heir to the plastic properly?

What do you suggest? For something like, this:
    Hard to say by the pics but yes often I will just use a regular body filler for scratches, its easier to sand. if they are not deep a spot putty works well to.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
      Hard to say by the pics but yes often I will just use a regular body filler for scratches, its easier to sand. if they are not deep a spot putty works well to.

Any brand/ product suggestion? Would this work?

& do you sand before you apply? All I have is some several small spots to fill in. It looks similar as if you had fallen forward on pavement & caught your self with your hands (rocks stuck into your hand). Most of the damage went to my tank ( Golf ball size circumfrence, about a quarter - half inch deep ) Which I am still looking at methods to work on that.

Comment

Originally posted by NC4Life078 View Post
        Any brand/ product suggestion? Would this work?

& do you sand before you apply? All I have is some several small spots to fill in. It looks similar as if you had fallen forward on pavement & caught your self with your hands (rocks stuck into your hand). Most of the damage went to my tank ( Golf ball size circumfrence, about a quarter - half inch deep ) Which I am still looking at methods to work on that.
        allot of body shops dont use the spot stuff anymore it shrinks after you paint it ( takes along time to dry )

Comment

Did I say abs epoxy resin in this thread already? Filling plastic with anything but plastic is asking for trouble imho. Scuff, mix, apply and sand. If you put on thick layers, look for and spot refill any bubbles and surface.Dries in 5 minutes but I would let it sit overnight for a really hard setup. If you sand it mechanically too soon it will has a tendency to act like rubber. An overnight setup makes it hard as the original stuff it is bonded to. I bought a palm sander at wal mart (25$) to make quick work of it.

Comment

with that fiberglass cloth stuff that he fixed the sides of the windshield area with how do you get that to stick does it do on its own or do u have to do you have to fasten it somehow
            Last edited by Shaded02; 03-09-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

gotta get the paper, the paper.

Comment

ok i just went ahead and did it. the bondo fiberglass kit works great but to make things easier on yourself follow the directions or else ur gonna be sanding off half an inch of resin like i did on my first part hahaha

Comment

Say I ruined the whole surface of a main fairing with paint remover... What's the best way to get it smooth again? The plastic is all rubbery on the surface, so sanding is not an option anymore.
                  sigpic'98 600 Parting Out

Comment

Great post.

Comment

Will this stick to abs plastic? Lots of dudes have said lots of the stuff they've used to fill holes/cracks have developed cracks after the fact. How did this stuff work for you?

Comment

check out the 600 restore thread.

when you make peices out of fiberglass you attach them using the permatex plastic weld the same way you repair a crack.
                        V notch the joints and fill the gap. sand smooth then on the inside add another layer over top using the plastic weld.. OR you can even use a 40 grit and scuff the plastics and overlap fiberglass a few inches. fiberglass is a bit harder to get to bond to plastic. I use the Poly resin and it works well and stays somewhat flexable.
                        For minor repairs and scratches I use Bondo plastic filler.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Great thread!! I used alot of the tips, but, I also used the harbor freight welder(one with the built in fan). The fairing turned out great!! Takes a lil practice with the welder but it will remain flexible if you do it right(not too hot). Thanks again.

Comment

macgyver!! @mykat

-using legos. absolutely ingenious

Comment

If I do not have to replace missing plastic and make only repairs to cracks and breaks I personally have found great success using fiberglass resin and cloth. what I do is apply the cloth and resin on the backside of the plastic to reinforce the plastic (usually 3 layers will do) let dry and sand off the stringy pieces. once the plastic is mended from behind ill sand the front of the plastic removing gnarly paint/decal and then fill with bondo. sand diligently and use a filling primer. usually 2 coats of primer will suffice and a final sanding of 500grit before paint.

Comment

Originally posted by oscargrough View Post
                                If I do not have to replace missing plastic and make only repairs to cracks and breaks I personally have found great success using fiberglass resin and cloth. what I do is apply the cloth and resin on the backside of the plastic to reinforce the plastic (usually 3 layers will do) let dry and sand off the stringy pieces. once the plastic is mended from behind ill sand the front of the plastic removing gnarly paint/decal and then fill with bondo. sand diligently and use a filling primer. usually 2 coats of primer will suffice and a final sanding of 500grit before paint.
                                that's all I have ever done, and it always worked well. however this thread has peaked my curiosity. just because my way has always worked for me doesn't mean I can't try something else. I have a lot of plastic repair coming up.
                                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                X