X

Definitive Answer on the electrical output of the 05 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitive Answer on the electrical output of the 05 Katana

I was browsing through some foriegn market pamphlets for the Kat, and the Germans being as they are (technically precise), their Katana phamphlet for the '05 model year lists the specific electrical power output for the Kat 750 (the 600 wasn't available for '05 in Germany)...

So the answer to the question many of us have been waiting for is:
    550 watts

Given the headlights draw 130 watts (stock bulbs, high beam), the additional blinkers/brake lights/running lights draw about another 110 watts when all are activated, plus about 40 watts going into the gauges and perhaps another 130 watts for the ignition system (estimated max draw in my mind), that should leave an excess of...

550 - (130 + 110 + 40 + 130) =
    550 - 410 =
    140 watts excess, or about 9.5 amps at 14.7 volts.

Note: that some excess is always required to recharge your battery after starting, etc., and that not all Kats will hit the 550 watt total on the nose (bike-to-bike manufacturing variations), so it's not recommended that you draw that full 9.5 amps (or even more than about 4-1/2 amps, aka 60 watts worth) as a result, and even a full 4-1/2-amp draw should only be used if you are powering something that can be switched off when at idle or not needed...

Other notes:
    The 04 - 06 use a different alternator than the 98 - 03 design, and it doesn't appear to be parts-swappable (the 98-03 alternator is not superceeded by the stock number for the 04+ version, and the 04+ uses a different set of cushion damping & different rotor assembly).
    There was also a revision to the 98-03 alternator at some point in those model years, although I don't know where the year-break for the change is (parts are swapable between the two variations of the 98-03 alternators).
    :since the 04+ uses a different alternator than the 98-03, I can't say definitively whether the output of the 98-03 is 550 watts as well.

Special Note: the '05 Kat 750 for Germany has the full California pollution control package (PAIR valves, catalytic converter)...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Re: Definitive Answer on the electrical output of the 05 Kat

Originally posted by Squiggy
    My Suzuki factory repair manual for the 750cc dated 1/1998 on page 7-37 under "Electrical" states that the "Generator Maximum Output" is "approximately 550W @ 5k rpm."
    OK, Squiggy, as long as you have the manual out, think you can puzzle out the power draw for the CDI and coils at 5K RPM, as well as the stepper motors in the gauges and any power used for senders? You did really well with that list, and I figure it's about time I quit being the bookworm for a change

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
    X