No announcement yet.
X

post rim swap just need clarification!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i use the stock spacer on the pre carrier. So nothing different than original...
    1990 600 kat on going projectNow with zxr 750 frontend

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk130 View Post
      i use the stock spacer on the pre carrier. So nothing different than original...
      Yes but you can see how close your seal is to the swing arm. if your running a post rear rim then thats alittle too close for comfort.
      1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
      fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
      55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
      R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
      Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

I was able to moddify the brake arm and remount the brake arm bracket.

I cut the arm and knotched it to increase the angle alittle, then cut the bracket off and moved it toward the rear about 1/2" and out as far as i could.

Looks like I got enough clearance now!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
          I was able to moddify the brake arm and remount the brake arm bracket.

I cut the arm and knotched it to increase the angle alittle, then cut the bracket off and moved it toward the rear about 1/2" and out as far as i could.

Looks like I got enough clearance now!

Just curious... you didn't mention it, but did you check your new placement will clear the subframe on the kat? (put the swingarm in, slide pivot bolt in, put brake arm on with bolt and nut, swing swingarm up into the subframe.... )

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Haha Krey!!!! I did check but honestly I just raised the rear of the bike like 1 5/8" so there is no way its going to contact i believe. Also the bracket wasnt really moved all that much, most of the work was done at the arm. The shortened arm resulted in the placement of the bracket which only moved up 1/2" straight forward.

Now I got it all tq'd down and installed finally! Looks great. I hope it rides as good as it looks.

Whats weird is that the tread on the front shinko tire swoops backwards where as the shinko rear tire points in the direction the tire is rolling.
            this is exactly how they look on the bike, rear and front both rolling forward this way.

heres the finished rear tire shot.
            Attached Files

Comment

Today i put back the original rim with all the original spacers ect and made this picture. I don't see any differance with the post rim. So i think the seal is pretty safe.

The only 'issue' i have is the thickness of the diskbrake. With the original disk it's running 'free' with the new disk it's running a bit more 'heavy'
              Attached Files

Comment

I cant believe its that close... geez. I would have thought it would be rubbing slightly.

what do you mean running free and heavy? Im not understanding the lingo... do you mean the original rotor would free spin and no dragging? and the new disk its draggin alittle?

what new rotor are you using?

Comment

The new rotor is dragging a bit more than the old one. the differance between them is 1mm in thickness

The rotor came of ebay, don't know what brand/make it is...
                  Last edited by Dirk130; 02-19-2013, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Im not sure why it would be draggin. U put new pads on it? and checked for alignment?

Only thing I could think is that the alignment is off or the calipers is holding pressure alittle and not "floating".

Comment

Calipers where holding back. Pushed the back a little...job done. Ordered new set of tyres yesterday: dunlop roadsmart II

Comment

Hope the calipers dont hang up again!

Comment

the bike is done! Mounted the last pieces today, rolled her out and fired her up! After my nightshift i go for a test drive.

Comment

Ok I'm attempting a post 98 rim on a pre kat. Now im more confused after reading this. Maybe a parts list and required mods would be handy? I've already sourced a wheel without a carrier, i'm just waiting on clarification.

Comment

Hey Guys,
                              New to the Forum and I have just inherited (?) from a mate, a 750 Pre Kat and as it's a bit untidy thought I would do it up abit. I've been reading on here about various mod's and I want to put the post Kat wheels on mine. I have sourced a post KAT and can get the wheels and swingarm from that.

Question is would it be easier just to swap the whole swingarm and wheel assembly, then to muck around trying to set up wheel clearances, etc?
                              “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
                              Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
                              ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Lachie View Post
                                Question is would it be easier just to swap the whole swingarm and wheel assembly, then to muck around trying to set up wheel clearances, etc?
                                Not even a little bit. The rim is a direct swap. The swingarm is not.
                                Last edited by arsenic; 03-03-2014, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X