post rim swap just need clarification!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lachie View Post
    Hey Guys,
    New to the Forum and I have just inherited (?) from a mate, a 750 Pre Kat and as it's a bit untidy thought I would do it up abit. I've been reading on here about various mod's and I want to put the post Kat wheels on mine. I have sourced a post KAT and can get the wheels and swingarm from that.

Question is would it be easier just to swap the whole swingarm and wheel assembly, then to muck around trying to set up wheel clearances, etc?
    Originally posted by arsenic View Post
    Not even a little bit. The rim is a direct swap. The swingarm is not.

What year post Kat?

I agree with arsenic, the simple way is to stick with the pre swingarm unless you are really trying to change up the look and such. 98-02 front wheels will fit with no issue, and all year rear wheels will fit fine as well if you stick with appropriate sized tires. It's only a clearance concern when you start going bigger tires than 150mm for the 600 pre swingarm, or 160mm for the 750 pre swingarm.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

'01 model sponsor

Looks,,,,

I actually find I don't use all the rear with the 150 and I was keeping up with a mildly spirited CBRR through the twisties the other day

Just throwing an idea out here!
      Presumably the trouble comes from from the width of the pivot? Would it be possible to take some of the width out? 1/4" either side and 1/2" off the spacer (provided the bearings are not pressed in). R/h side would look ok Drive side may be different depending on if you could fit the dust seal back on . If the 750 is the same as the 600 pictured it would seam that an extra 1/2 inch width in the body could clear the immediate subframe without to much difficulty.

Ah! sudden thought "It's constructed asymetrically"
      Last edited by Lachie; 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM.
      “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
      Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
      ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Lachie View Post
        '01 model sponsor

Looks,,,,

I actually find I don't use all the rear with the 150 and I was keeping up with a mildly spirited CBRR through the twisties the other day

Just throwing an idea out here!
        Presumably the trouble comes from from the width of the pivot? Would it be possible to take some of the width out? 1/4" either side and 1/2" off the spacer (provided the bearings are not pressed in). R/h side would look ok Drive side may be different depending on if you could fit the dust seal back on . If the 750 is the same as the 600 pictured it would seam that an extra 1/2 inch width in the body could clear the immediate subframe without to much difficulty.

Ah! sudden thought "It's constructed asymetrically"

While my prior answer remains the same, it would truly be easier to just stick with the right wheels and do the swap... if you really want to know how to swap in a post swingarm, then...

You would need to press the bearings in further at the pivot. Shave off 2.5mm either side evenly. You will need to swap with the swingarm the post caliper and brake arm OR cut the brake arm mount and weld it back on the other side. (if your doing the cut and weld, why not just mod the swingarm you got for a truly wider wheel and get a nice 5.5" rim? )

You would also need to swap the suspension cushion and swingarm links. I would recommend at this point you consider adjustable links (the kind that are truly adjustable and not just variable holes).

I would also suggest at this point that you get the post 750 shock and have it rebuilt and use it.

Keep in mind the pre 750 swingarm and the post swingarms of both 600 and 750 CC are going to match in length. The pre 600 swingarm is 1.5" shorter. So your making the wheelbase longer by that much if your starting with a pre 600 swingarm and swapping any of the others in. This means longer chain and slower turn in.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X