No announcement yet.
X

Suzuki GSXF 650 vs SV 650

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my 'arris totally kicked yesterday by an SV650 through my favourite twisties. i know them like the back of my hand but I was.........outpaced, outcornered, out everythinged. The thing was like a greased eel.

Sounded sickeningly sweet with one of those triangle shaped yoshi's on it.

Comment

Hmmm

Well, I've put 2,000 miles on my 2008 SV-650S now and I have to say I prefer my Kat. I have 16,000 miles on my 2003 Kat 600 and for anything over a 20 minute ride she is my choice. The Sv handles great, and does not lack acceleration, but she just isn't comfortable. Both bikes are stock and I've had the Kat up to 128 (took a while to get her there) while the SV has seen 138. You need to ride and SV before you decide.

Comment

I had a 2000 SV 650, loved it as a track bike and canyon carver. Power comes on like a 2 stroke from 10K rpm on up, it's very light and flickable. I didn't like it as a road bike for the same reasons, and I bought the GSX650F to address exactly these areas: tractable, linear power, stability and planted-ness. Apples and oranges, defiitely.

Happy riding,
        Kirk
        Living truly is truly living

Comment

I've been on the gsx650F for 13months now (ride every day rain or shine) and still love it. The SV -- which i've ridden a bunch of times since my bro owns one -- is a sweet bike, and can probably out-handle an "F" with the right rider, but I had to look at my riding needs -- I need an all-around everyday riding bike for commuting and having fun. The SV is just lower, more forward and more racey -- if that makes sense. Great engine, good power, but the "F" is comfortable, powerful, easy to handle and extremely stable because of the additional weight. Freeways it's stable and solid.

best of luck either way.
          2 wheels or walk!

Comment

Having had a kat and an SV I would get the SV. I could ride that bike all day long without any issues. Sure the seat of the kat is more comfy but the SV is not evil or anything. I was still comfortable on my long rides on it.

I saw no difference in highway stability or such either. I had a fully faired SV and was fine. It moved pretty much the same as the kat.

The SV outshines the Kat in that it has more useable power for either regular commuting or for a more spirited ride. It handles on a dime, comes with a steering dampner (saved my *** once or twice), and has a host of cool aftermarket accessories.

If I had to select one again I woudl get an SV over the Kat. Once I got my SV my poor kat just sat around so that shows how much I loved my SV. I had my kat though for 2 up riding. If you are going a distance then the kat is the only route to go for 2 up. The SV is not comfy for the passenger...

But really get what you want. You can see all of the various opinions in here. You are dealing with two different animals.
            I am a Penn State fanatic.
            Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

GSX650F all the way

I currently own an 08 black GSX650F and have previously owned an SV650. In my opinion the SV650 is the most uncomfortable bike I have every owned. The one positive thing I can say about is that it got 59mpg on regular unleaded, which the GSX I own is getting 47.4 running the same route.

Comment

Man if you think the SV was that uncomfortable you will not be able to ride any other SS bikes......
                I am a Penn State fanatic.
                Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

The SV is designed to be a standard seating position. The SS/supersport bikes aren't so ergo comfy! I personally would much rather ride a SV/standard on long rides any day!
                  Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                  Man if you think the SV was that uncomfortable you will not be able to ride any other SS bikes......
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

i am voting for sv too if u do mostly in-town commute. if u ride more than 20miles everyday then ths gsxf

Comment

Originally posted by GSXF View Post
                      I would go with the SV for more parts and upgrades available, and cheaper to replace. Do a ebay search and you know what I mean. Beside, SV have a unique engine sound as it's a "V" configuration.
                      das a good point. there's definitely a lot more aftermarket SV parts out there

Comment

Working...
                      X