X

i dont like the new gsxf 650

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tnvatdreamland View Post
    Why didn't this bike get clip-ons?? Looks so much better! And I will take the maintainence of the cooling system, over the maintainence of carbs anyday. If it had the clip-ons like the Kat, I'd be sold. Otherwise....I'm out on it. If I was in the market for another 600 class ST, I'd have to go with the ZZR600
    My guess would be that the regular style bars will make it more attractive to new riders... and allow Suzuki to parts-share more with the over-seas Bandits.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Why didn't this bike get clip-ons??
      In it's role as a "standard", the use of bolt-on single-tube-style handlebar means that it's much, much simpler to customize the seating position to virtually any rider (replacement 3rd party tube bars often run $25 and custom-bent ones can be had for under $50 in virtually any shape/bend you want, as least last time I priced tubes -- which was years back). Single-tube-style bars are also usually wider than clip-ons, meaning easier leverage on the bars for the dicey stuff -- less effort to make the same turn, esp. in a more up-right position.

But I think they did it as a cheap, easy way to get the ergonomics exactly how they wanted after they already had pretty much the rest of the bike figured out except maybe the front fairings -- if the fairings changed height, they wouldn't have redesign the whole triple-tree & handlebars to compensate -- just use a different bend on the tube.

The questions I have is why is the head gasket different than that of the Bandit 650, although the compression ratio is the same (the injectors and the ECU are also different than those on the Bandit 650, but I understand some of the reasoning behind that).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Last edited by The CyberPoet; 01-10-2008, 12:37 PM.
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Why didn't this bike get clip-ons?? Looks so much better
        Well thats an easy fix- Find out the size of Forks- go down to a CycleGear- Grab some Vortex Clip ons - and mount the Butt-ugly bar on the Front of you honda civic as a Brush Guard.

Sorry If i bought the New Bike - thats the first thing I would do - ride strait to CycleGear and Deep six the Bar
        Just my two Cents

Comment

I sat on the new F today. Its a good looking bike, but i dont like how "upright" the seating position is. It literally felt like i was straight up and down.

As for the BKing, i knew the tank and vents were wide but DAMN!!!!

I really do like it and what they did styling wise on the BKing. Just from the seat the tank is huge.

DC Born..Maryland Bred

I will never be forgotten. I will only fade as time goes on from your consious thoughts.

Comment

The first decent printed reviews are in, and basically here's a synopsis of what they said:

(A) Cam'd and fueled differently than the bandit 650, giving more emphasis on mid- and high-end power rather than low- and mid-range power.
            (B) Different injector sizes & different ECU than the bandit 650, double-butterfly system with the ECU controlling the secondary butterflies.
            (C) No centerstand. Chain adjusters are designed to permit adjustment while the bike is on the sidestand.
            (D) Power is almost linear, just continuously building, with the main power-band being from 7k to 10k, but unlike the last generation GSXF series, not dropping off as much between the top of the powerband and redline at 12k.
            (E) Fulfills exactly the same niche -- and suzuki's reps at the press junket kept using the same phrase over and over: "an all-day sports bike". The magazines' writers laughed at that, but one then pointed out that it's basically the same power-levels that were hustled around the Isle of Man TT in 1990 to the victory on the older GSXF platform.
            (F) Smooth-as-silk fueling, no snatchiness anywhere.
            (G) Seat height down 1/4" - 1/3" from the 98-06 GSXF's.
            (H) Upgraded suspension components from the Bandit; the GSXF gets adjusters on the forks & shocks that the bandit doesn't, plus stiffer fork springs.
            (I) GSXR-based dash instead of the analog clocks the Bandit 650 gets.

Personally, I'm hoping to ride one at BikeWeek and get a first-hand impression.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

They were uncrating one at Westcoast PowerSports yesterday- So they are in the Dealers now (at least in my neck of the woods) Since there is a Still new 06 Kat (not on Macadamns interesting enough) sitting on the Sales Floor, the Customer asked to see the new GSX-F

Comment

Well interestingly enough, I got to ride one this morning. Took the Kat out for a ride, since it's nice today (Supposed to hit low 60's, but we've got a SuperBowl party planned....) stopped to grab a quick cup of coffee and this guy pulls up on one.

He bought it somewhere in SW VA, and he already had 3K miles on it. We got to talking, said he missed his pre-98 Kat he sold when he bought the 650. He asked me if I wanted to ride it, and I politely declined, but he sort of insisted. So I did. He rode my Kat, and I rode the 650. We went down the road a bit...

Impressions:

- More power than my 600 Kat...but it's really, really smooth. As in deceptively smooth. Doesn't feel as quick as it is.

- Don't know if it's the EFI, but it's silky smooth from idle on up

- Surprisingly, it feels a bit 'softer' than my Kat 600 pulling off at say 4K RPM in a lower gear...really wants a downshift

- Riding position is VERY upright. Feels like a cruiser. My back didn't like the posture it induced...way too upright for me.

- Almost TOO easy to turn at low speeds

- Wind protection is okay, but the higher riding posture makes you want to lean over a bit to take advantage of the fairing

- The exhaust can is HUGE!!!!!!!!

- Suspension feels a bit soft, but I am 6'3 220lbs if that matters

All in all for the money, not a bad bike, but for $6999 MSRP, personally I'd find a nice used VFR for about $4K and use the rest to upgrade the Kat and keep both.

Comment

Nice feed back from all on the new 650F, but let's face it...for those that want the Katana of days past, hang on to what you got. This bike is more Bandit (and even more so a beefed up 500F) than anything else. If you sit on any Kat and the 650F by comparison, the ergonomics are completely different. As for the ride, haven't rode one, but I did not like the way it felt from just sitting on it so I won't be going much furthur than that. Those that still own a "Kat"...hang on to it, and if you're looking for a GSXR/Bandit inspired "do-all" type bike...jump on the 650F...but it is not a Katana. Just my 2 cents.
                  Last edited by Abzs; 02-03-2008, 12:19 PM.
                  "Wait for it....."

Comment

The new GSX650F is a Bandit 650 with a full fairing. In fact its the same mechanicals underneath the body work.
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST
                    2000 Katana 750 Streetfighter

Keep it rubber side down and your knees in the breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by DRUNK_UNCLE View Post
                      The new GSX650F is a Bandit 650 with a full fairing. In fact its the same mechanicals underneath the body work.
                      Did you not see my post above listing some of the under-bodywork differences (cams, injectors, butterfly sizes, ECU)?

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by tankman1331 View Post
                        i went to the motorcycle show in novi michigan and saw alot of bikes, and there was the gsxf (the new katana) and i didnt like it much... the big reason is there is no katana lable just gsxF. it is alright but i like the katana name.. it might have been better with out the big F on the bike. and i really dont like the faring on it... I dont know the front light looks alright. but kinda wish for the katana name on it.. also saw the b king and thats a sight for sore eyes too... i still like the busa and the gsxr's nice color to em both...
                        News flash.....Suzuki dumped KATANA.
                        It's just plain ole GSX650F

Comment

When I saw the new GSXF in person I got a hard-on.
                          Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson afterwards

Comment

I think the new bike looks fine, but I like Katana sticks better than bars. A black 08 would be great, if that's what made me spin. But the Katana, and I like the 98 on, but like the old ones too, strikes a match in me...just like the '63 Stingray split window coupe. I rebiked in October and decided it was the old school 2006 Kat 750 that still had my attention, in spite of the 08's FI and water cooling. And that there are still brand new old Kats in dealerships around the country makes me smile. I hope I can find one of those about five years from now, even though my 2006 has just over 2,000 miles on it.

"and the record man says nobody up north will buy them, but I said that I will..." from the Lovin' Spoonful's "Nashville Cats"---but they weren't referring to Kats--same idea though

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

It's a good lookin' bike. They'd have to throw in after market turn signals as part of the deal. The ones on there from the factory are hidious and look out of place.
                              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Ya know, I am actually still undecided. I can't say as I like it or not!
                                Viva La PBR Tall Boy! And Balls on your forehead!

Comment

Working...
                                X