Project 88 Katana- Running logbook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 88 Katana- Running logbook

As some of you know, I picked up an 88 Katana this past weekend:

I wished I had not, but now I have it and it needs a complete restoration....

I figured that since it will need to be stripped down to bare bones and then built back up after every single piece gets attention, I would keep a running log here with the progress.

As I picked it up........

An example of the hideous high temp paint all over this thing. I will be installing the original swingarm from my 91 in place of this one...

Front end...... Yep, that's fork oil all over the place. Front calipers, as well as the rear, are locked up. I have another rear from my 91 as well as the original master cylinder for the front AND a complete rear brake system, so as long as the fronts can be rebuilt, I will be ok there.....

Here is a nice example of the corrosion that was covered up with paint. Guess he missed this spot...

More corrosion.... This can be cleaned up and will go with a brushed aluminum look and cleared over....

The worst part......... I do get spark, and I seem to have compression, but there has not been a hint of firing up yet......... These carbs sat for 15 years......

Close to the end of the evening today. I got a few more pieces pulled off such as rearsets, front calipers and hoses, and other misc stuff. Got one stubborn header bolt keeping me from pulling the pipes so far......

The plan is to tear is down completely and work each piece from the ground up. Once all is said and done, it should look close to mint with the possible exception of the plastics unless I decide to repaint as well. Undecided on that issue at this point.....

It's gonna be fun
    Ron
    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Jesus! What a fricken' mess man! Well, the good news is that there's an awesome before & after pic in the future. Good luck Ron, look forward to seeing the progress.

Comment

Wow . I guess that what happens sitting under the porch for a few years Yikes.

It'll be very interesting to see this thing transformed over the next while.

Good luck Ron.
      Kyle

Comment

Hey Ron, shouldent there be cooling fins on the top of the valve cover?
        91 Kat 600
        02 B12 S
        03 YFM660RR
        00 TRX 250D

Comment

Wow , I'm kinda glad WE didn't pick that up now . What a mess ! Well , I'm sure it'll be nice once you're done . Hell , a low-milage bike worked-over by someone who knows Katanas .... Yeah , that'll be nice .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

That's definitely a piece of work... Though it does look like you're well on your way.
            The good thing is that the plastic, from what I can see, looks pretty good.

Comment

Ugh! You've got your work cut out for you. Good luck.
              "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Geez, what a project...

I'm almost sorry I asked...

But I'm sure the end results will be well worth it!
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well atleast you won't be board for the next few months.

Could be worse, frame could have been bent, engine could have been siezed and half the parts missing..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Who was the previous owner? He really needs an ass kickin!!!No respect!

Comment

What you guys don't realize is that I plan on having this thing done in a month or so........ Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
                      Ron
                      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I would love to have something like that to toy around with. looks like fun and should be a good learning experience.

Ron, will she be ready for the gap?

Comment

Should be, but I hope like hell it is sold well before then!
                          Ron
                          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

WOW!
                            Man, i feel really bad. I had no idea it was that bad. The guy seemed pretty upfront about everything else, I just assumed he was giving me the whole story...

I am looking forward to seeing the pics of the restoration though.

anyway, I'm really sorry it worked out this way...

Comment

Wow. What a "fixer upper!" Does the rust on the subframe go through the welds, or is it just surface corrosion?

Should be a heck of an experience, though...
                              2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Comment

Working...
                              X