X

Knobby tyre for front

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knobby tyre for front

I'm having problems finding a semi knobbly or knobbly (or knobby as some of you call them) front tyre for my pre 750.

The ones I've found i.e. Heidenau Scout K60 120/90/17 and the TKC80 120/70/17 both fit the front rim but there is insufficient space between the forks to fit them. I also believe these tyres are designed for rear wheel fitment. I measure the forks space to be about 130 mm approximately but the inflated fitted tyre widths are 131mm for both tyres. I will remove the front wheel at some point to measure the gap exactly. I wouldn't want to get one, get it put on the rim only to find it doesn't fit

My existing front tyre is an Avon Distanzia 120/70/17 which has a fitted width of 114mm whereas the manufacturers state it should be 121mm !! I suppose it has something to do with the rim width too eh ?

So, are there alternative knobbly tyres I could consider?

There's a reason you won't find many 17 front adventure tyres.
    Standard size on the pre was a 110/80/17 - ie a theoretical width of 110 mm.
    The tyre you suggest probably has "rear wheel only" stamped on it, so it probably has a lower profile than a regular front tyre and you'd be taking a risk with insurance etc. if you fit it to the front. Plus, it will be heavier. Certainly won't compliment the bike's handling. I'm not sure if fronts and rears are constructed differently, but logic suggests a rear tyre takes most load while accelerating and a front while breaking.
    This might help:

Comment

Thanks...that's where I got my information from. The TKC 80 are the same fitted width.

I suppose the options for the front are limited?

Comment

Excluding issues relating to handling, looks, performance, etc has anyone ever successfully fitted a 130/80 tyre on a front 3.00" rim to a Kat ?

Comment

Found some and fitted 'em !!

Comment

That's a nice bike!
            sigpic

Comment

Cheers dude !!

Comment

What brand /sizes?

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

that tire on front sure seems square on the edges. Handling must be an adventure.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I want more pics of that! Rather scary looking, in a Mad Max kinda way...

Comment

They are Heidenau K60 tyres. The rear is a 150/70 -17 and the front is a 120/90-17. The front tyre is a rear tyre- tube type, with an inner tube fitted. There is approximately 7mm of clearance each side between the widest point of the tyre and the fork. The front tyre is a bit square and handing is best described as "different". I've now set the tyre pressures at approximately 25psi, as recommended by others, and it handles quite well but still takes a bit of getting use to !!

I'll put up some more pics when I get chance

Comment

Working...
                      X