No announcement yet.
X

Clutch Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that's good news about the pickup. I can eliminate that.
    I notice when I was tarping it for the rains that the wires to the pickup sensor have a place where it looks like there is a cut in it. I'll check it next chance I get.
    Would that keep it from turning over. Would it keep it from starting?
    Thanks

Comment

It would keep it from turning over.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I forgot to check the red cutoff switch on the handle bar.
        I was in a hurry because of the rain.
        The neutral light is working and it is in neutral.
        I bet when I put the tarp over it while I was waiting for the trigger to get in, I hit the cut off switch. I was in a hurry then too because of the rain. I finished tarping it in the rain. It was a very soaking experience.
        Key on, in neutral, jump the starter solenoid, starter turns over but won't start. It usually starts up right away.
        It sure acts like the cutoff switch on the handle bar is in the off position.

Thanks.

Comment

Two screws underneath will let you remove the controls on the right side of the bar and get at that switch...

Comment

I swear the bike is cursed or I am.
            The cut off switch was in the off position.
            However when I took the tarp off I found where a piece of an old bungee cord that has metal ends had melted through to the solenoid.
            I guess everything was wet when I tarpped it the last time and somehow the two were able to make contact through the tarp..
            I am charging up the battery. Hopefully it's still good. I will have to order the positive wire and clean up the solenoid /fuse box. If I can't then I'll be looking on eBay for one. Oh joy joy....

I got out the battery charger and hook it up.
            I made sure nothing was touching then I turned on the key.
            Everything came on as it should.
            I couldn't help myself from hitting the starter button.
            Everything dimmed like it was going to start but not enough charge.
            All good news for after the burn out.
            I am grateful it didn't catch fire.
            I guess the rain kept it cool enough that it didn't burn down my bike.
            Cursed bike or me... Your guess. It seems like everything is against me getting this bike going.
            Oh I left out the part of a zero speed crash when I first tried to ride it.
            I don't believe in bad luck. I believe everything happens for a reason.

It's about to rain again so I am going to see if it feels like starting.

Then I am going to disconnect the positive wire and retarp it until I get the parts.
            Too bad it was the new tarp I just bought from Harbor Freight just to tarp the bike.
            I didn't want any water shorting out anything......
            Lets you know that the tarps aren't fully water proof.
            I really need to get the garage clean out enough to get the bike in.
            That was what I said I was going to do before I bought another bike.
            Oh well ... back to the drawing board....

Update:
            Just rechecked starting. It clicked so that is good.
            I am going to leave it on charge for as long as possible.
            I could not get the battery wire off because the clear cover that was over the solenoid had melted over the wires..... As soon as the rains go away long enough, the solenoid and my dremel are going to have a meeting.

I just checked out eBay for the solenoid. I got a used one with the positive wire going to the battery for less than eight dollars. So it is a joy joy

Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 06-05-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Persistence is all you need to succeed

Comment

Yes for sure but I don't see the light yet.

I still have the front fork seals to do.
                I am also looking for a key lock set that includes the ignition & tank cap at least.
                I would rather not buy the Chinese lock set even though they include everything.
                I've been looking on eBay but the prices are too high right now.
                The last one I saw today was 85. I don't want to spend over 35.
                I've seen them on there but I didn't get them because there was too much other stuff I needed at the time.
                I also need body panels and connectors.
                That's why I was considering getting that 600 from the dealer.
                I think I'll drive by and see if he still has it.
                Patience yes patience wins the day.
                I hope that day is soon.

Comment

Well...all that rain down there isn't helping.

Comment

Got a break today.
                    Went on the longest ride so far.
                    Only about 20 miles but still it went.
                    I am still having trouble with the clutch.
                    I keep having to readjust it.
                    It won't go into neutral without a lot of up and down in gears moving forward at the right time etc. and most of the time it won't go in even then.
                    But turn it off and no problem.
                    After I adjust it I can find neutral but after ridding around the block same old thing.
                    If I turn off the bike I can find neutral then start it back up.
                    But that's the only reliable way to find neutral.
                    That's not so reliable as it sometimes doesn't want turn over by the starter switch and I have to jump it with a screw driver.
                    Probably bad contact at the solenoid switch.

I was thinking maybe I put the needle bearing on the wrong side when I was putting the clutch back together.
                    I bought a new gasket.
                    Just have to buy the oil, another $30 down the drain.
                    Hate to change the oil already just to find out if I messed up or not.

There's a few other little things like it doesn't want to stay running.
                    Probably jets or maybe spark plugs. I still have to change them out.
                    When riding it and I come to a stop it is even worse when trying to get it into neutral. A complete no go. I think that's the clutch which might be caused by the needle bearing in the wrong place. Snap

I readjusted the chain. It already needs it again.
                    I'll do that tomorrow as it looks like another rainy day here in Sunny South Florida.

I got new levers. That was a plus. I still have to order grips.
                    I'm not sure how the throttle grip comes apart.
                    Is it a 7/8 or1 inch? I think it's a 7/8 over a sleeve.
                    Maybe tomorrow.

I got the fork seals and dust covers and fork oil.
                    Not looking forward to doing them.
                    I'm thinking of buying that tool that you stick down the fork seals to clean them out. Anyone else try it?

I put the mirrors on so I could ride it today.
                    Looking forward to the time I can put the rest of the plastic back on.
                    I ordered a key set from China that comes with the ignition switch[I have to wiggle the key for it to work], Gas tank cap[it pops out because the PO broke it off. It won't stay on] and seat lock.
                    Well I am getting closer.

Comment

Just an update.
                      Working on fixing the bad fork seals on the bike.
                      I got the front end up in the air and the top triple tree off.
                      Plan on doing them maybe Wednesday.
                      I will just unhook the brake calipers and remove the front wheel.
                      Then one fork at a time.
                      Then reverse and I should be good to go.
                      I bought the seals and oil a while back so I'm good there.
                      I'll drain out what ever old oil out first before removing them.
                      I'll look through the threads and see if anyone else has done this.
                      I know I saw somewhere what amount of oil to put in each fork.
                      I'll probably have to use some kind of cooking measuring device to get the correct amount in each fork.

Any helpful comments are welcomed.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CaptnRonFl View Post
                        Just an update.
                        Working on fixing the bad fork seals on the bike.
                        I got the front end up in the air and the top triple tree off.
                        Plan on doing them maybe Wednesday.
                        I will just unhook the brake calipers and remove the front wheel.
                        Then one fork at a time.
                        Then reverse and I should be good to go.
                        I bought the seals and oil a while back so I'm good there.
                        I'll drain out what ever old oil out first before removing them.
                        I'll look through the threads and see if anyone else has done this.
                        I know I saw somewhere what amount of oil to put in each fork.
                        I'll probably have to use some kind of cooking measuring device to get the correct amount in each fork.

Any helpful comments are welcomed.

Thanks
                        Did you do the fork seals in the end? I need to do this myself at some point as my dust seals are looking quite perished and I don't want crap getting down to the oil seals if it's not already. There was a good video on you tube by a guy "Delboys Garage" or similar where he used a seal driver, I think made by Laser, it made the whole thing look suspiciously simple!

Comment

Originally posted by Seft View Post
                          Did you do the fork seals in the end? I need to do this myself at some point as my dust seals are looking quite perished and I don't want crap getting down to the oil seals if it's not already. There was a good video on you tube by a guy "Delboys Garage" or similar where he used a seal driver, I think made by Laser, it made the whole thing look suspiciously simple!
                          1 1/2" PVC pipe + one coupler fitting = easy to make seal driver with less than $5 invested.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            1 1/2" PVC pipe + one coupler fitting = easy to make seal driver with less than $5 invested.

Krey
                            That does sound better looking at the price they charge for a metal version of your pipe suggestion! It looked like part of the benefit of the metal one though is the weight in it, if you just use a plastic pipe do you need to just use it to push the seals in as opposed to using the driver to bang them in?

Comment

Originally posted by Seft View Post
                              That does sound better looking at the price they charge for a metal version of your pipe suggestion! It looked like part of the benefit of the metal one though is the weight in it, if you just use a plastic pipe do you need to just use it to push the seals in as opposed to using the driver to bang them in?
                              I use the plastic version to tap them into place. You don't need a lot of weight to move them.

The 2 sizes works for each seal. Smaller for the oil seals, flip it over for the larger size to instal the dust seals. Light tights is fine, too much weight would possible damage the seals anyways.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X