No announcement yet.
X

Clutch Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should be simple. I got the sprockets on.
    It looks like I need to take at least two links out of the new chain.
    The problem is I can't get the rim to move forward.
    It looks like the rear brake is keeping it from going forward.
    If I can get the rim to move forward there will be lots of adjusting that can be done over time.
    It's too dark to play with it tonight.
    I will get at it tomorrow.
    What am I missing?
    No jokes about the missing link please.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CaptnRonFl View Post
      This should be simple. I got the sprockets on.
      It looks like I need to take at least two links out of the new chain.
      The problem is I can't get the rim to move forward.
      It looks like the rear brake is keeping it from going forward.
      If I can get the rim to move forward there will be lots of adjusting that can be done over time.
      It's too dark to play with it tonight.
      I will get at it tomorrow.
      What am I missing?
      No jokes about the missing link please.

Thanks
      The rear brake caliper bracket pivots on the axle. The caliper should not be touching the rotor to stop the wheel from doing anything.

Have you loosened the chain adjusters on both arms of the swinger to allow for the wheel to move forward?

If the adjusters are loose & axle is loose you sometimes may want to just bump the tire to move the wheel in the assembly. A hammer or light kick with the foot.

FYI... don't make the chain too short. It's possible, for example, on some units that need a chain 116 links long OEM... to move the wheel all the way forward, and cut the chain to 114 links. The issue with that... is the chain won't come off the sprocket because it's too tight at the forward most position. There needs to be enough slack once riveted together, that will come off the sprocket for changing the tire and so on.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok I will take some pictures.
        The chain tensioners are all the way off.
        It has to be something binding with the brakes.
        Maybe I have something too tight from when I did the rear brakes.

The gear sprockets are direct replacements.
        I think they always make the chain a little long to be able to fit more then one bike.
        As it is it needs one link taken out and it is almost all the way back.

I will have to take a picture of the rear sprocket.
        It is toast. I have never seen one this bad.

Thanks

Comment

Take a look at the rear sprocket.
          It's hard to believe the PO was riding it like this.
          He even used a bolt that he would stick into a hole on the side of the bike as a foot peg.
          Alcohol will make you do strange things.

I had tighten up the pivot bolt too tight.
          After loosening it it works find now.

Looks like I am going to take out two links.

Comment

Waiting on the trigger now.
            The brakes are done and the chain and sprockets are done.
            I feel safe to ride it now.
            Can't wait for my real first ride.
            It's like waiting for a first date.

Happy Memorial Day everyone.

Thank a veteran that we live in a free country.

Comment

That sprocket... Wow...
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yeah really. I bet the bolts were loose.

Comment

Yea I can't believe it either.
                  How the guy made it this far is a mystery for sure.
                  The bolts were tight because they had used some kind of sealer on them from the factory.
                  When I went to pick up the trigger yesterday afternoon they had a 2001 600 Katana for $900 plus tax and tag.
                  It looked just like my 750 Katana only it had all the body parts etc.
                  Less than 7000 miles on it. It had been sitting in a guys garage. He traded it in on a new bike when they told him how much it was going to cost him to put it back on the road after he put two new tires on it.
                  It also need work like carbs rebuilt, battery, fork seals etc. They couldn't even start it because it leak fuel out the carbs.
                  I am tempted. Very tempted. I am almost pulled the trigger on it thinking I could take the parts off of it that I need for my 750, fix it and flip it for what ever I have in it.
                  Still thinking about it but this morning after I put the trigger in, I couldn't get the bike to turn over.
                  I am going to put the battery charger on it while I go to the doctor for my back.
                  I will fill you guys in on my adventure with my Kat.
                  I really have grown attached to it [reason for the crazy idea of getting the 600] which is a dangerous thing for my wallet.

Comment

That sprocket looks like it was running on an eccentric the way the teeth appear to be worn...that's why I suspected loose bolts. I'd keep an ear out for beat wheel bearings.

A lot of people joke about Katanas with can of tuna ribbing and poo-pooing it because it isn't a GSXR. Yeah...their not the best looking, nor the fastest, but they are damn comfortable, reliable and relatively cheap & easy to fix. Funny how every time I let someone ride my Kat they said the exact same words, "Wow! Nice bike. It's SO comfortable..." Plus, the ribbing stopped when my 1100 walked everything my buddies rode (V65 Magna, CBR900RR (with work done) etc etc)

Comment

Heart break city.
                      I got everything back together and adjusted the clutch and the starter won't turn over.
                      I thought that maybe the battery was down so I charged it for 24hrs to be sure.
                      Still nothing. Man I hate this.
                      It's almost like it is possessed and doesn't want me to ride it.
                      Now the rain season is here.
                      Great now I have to wait in between the rain showers to try and figure out what happened.
                      Right now I can't think of a thing.
                      Kickstand is up and it is on the center stand. Does the center stand have cut off switch like the side stand does?
                      I don't mind a little project but this is ridiculous.
                      I am about to find a witch doctor to get rid of all the demons that are keeping me from riding it.

Comment

No center stand switch......
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Here are a few things will prevent the starter from turning:

1) Side stand switch doesn't have continuity. It is a normally closed switch, meaning...if a wire is broken or stand is down (contacts open), the starter won't engage.

2) The run-stop switch is on 'stop' or the contacts are dirty. You can check continuity...

3) The ignition switch doesn't have continuity for 'Run' position - contacts dirty or not making contact...another continuity test

4) The bike is not in neutral or the neutral position switch is bad.

5) Starter relay is bad or not getting juice/ground from ignition switch/Run-Stop

6) Battery dead...

Comment

Let's not forget, you unplugged a connector or the connector is damaged.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Well I must have broke my bike some how and I don't know what I broke.
                              I don't think it has any thing to do with the trigger that I broke.
                              I jumped the starter with the ignition on and it turned over but would not start.
                              Is there some special way that the trigger has to be put on?
                              When I say trigger, I mean the the 4 prong piece that attaches to the front sprocket by an allen bolt.
                              That's the only thing that I messed with when I changed the sprocket.
                              It was running before I tried to change the sprockets and I broke off parts of the trigger thats on the front sprocket.
                              This is a puzzle for sure. Maybe there is something wrong with the sensor that reads the trigger as the front sprocket goes round. Doesn't make sense to me. It should start anyway. At lease turn over. The sprocket doesn't turn when you try to start it.
                              It must be something else. It won't start and run when I jump the starter solenoid with the key turned on. It won't turn over with the key on, clutch depressed. Oh I forgot to mention that I have the kickstand sensor bypassed and along with the clutch handle sensor.
                              It should turn over when I press the starter button and it should start.
                              The rain is here so I will have to wait till tomorrow.
                              I need to make room in the garage so I can work on it as the rainy season has begun here in South Florida. Glad it's here because we need the rain but it's a bite in the butt when wanting to work outside.

Comment

No special install for the pickup. Do you have a neutral light? That sensor is in the same area as the pickup...
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X