X

Connor's Katana Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connor's Katana Build

Hello all! it's been a while since i posted but here is my project build story

It all started before i was 16. buying import tuner and motorcycle magazines at a young age. My father, an ER doc, wouldn't think twice about letting me get a dirtbike so motorcycles were out of the question. 1.5 years ago(age 21) i come home with a 400$ katana in the back of my moms truck. It hasn't ran in 5 years. My whole family was very skeptical of my purchase because nobody around us has motorcycle experience, let alone mechanic experience.

I Joined Katriders a little after I bought the 1990 600 katana(the same year i'm born on) and thanks to you forum goers for teaching me(and clymer's manual) alot of what i know now... I got the 600 running and i realize with my knowledge now that i seized the motor due to failure to adjust the valves.

Soooo... now i have an '06 750 engine in my pre katana

One bike led to my friends being interested. I rebuilt a yamaha fzr600 for my friend

Lets get into what i've done to my bike so far:
    stripped it completely apart and rattle-can painted it black
    06 750 engine
    Dual healights and turn signals
    gsxr Two Bros slip on to bandit 1200 headers
    R6 rear shock
    chain and sprockets
    Road Attack tires
    rear brake pads(Currently trying to do a full rebuild on both fronts)

What's next on my katana project list???
    I just picked up 2 bandit 1200 engines for 150$
    Last edited by Fkat; 06-07-2021, 11:12 PM.

Awesome looking bikes. I'll give ya $75 for one of those B12s
    If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

hell i'd give you 150 for one
      never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
      Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
      confused katana build

Comment

Two 1200 engines for $150 thats a good deal.......

Comment

nfs lol. one engine is an '05 and the other is a '98 i believe. the '05 has a transmission issue so the other engine will be handy for some parts.
          Last edited by Fkat; 07-24-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Bike looks good!

Comment

Looks good!!.... And I'll give you 250 for them!!!
              Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

It's been a while since ive been on the forums so i thought i'd post my bikes current state. the b12 engines are put on hold for now.

shes been chopped n screwed

btw this is the build that inspired me to build the tail like i am: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=10817

just got done getting converted to inverted 06 gsxr 750 forks yesterday

welded in a seat lock platform to fit the yamaha fzr600 seat lock +rear passenger seat ill be using

today ill be finishing the shape of the tail and getting ready to fiberglass it up. i want to keep the two bros muffler and don't want to have to chop it so the fairing will be somewhat larger than scrapper's build

hopefully it turns out good cause i've never done anything like this before. its all one big experiment for me
                Last edited by Fkat; 06-27-2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Good deal on the 1200s. I just picked up an 02 bandit 1200 with 5k on it for alittle under a grand. Came with the SS header too. It will be a part of my 1200 turbo build. The post 750 barely makes more power than the pre 600 and makes less than the pre 750, were only talking about 10hp over the pre 600.

Liked wat I've done so far and how's the fork swap going?

I got some questions about the B12 are u going to upgrade at all? Mine can with a holeshot 5* advancer and stuff but I won't need it as I'm going full Dyna 2000 ignition. I'm looking for the header collers for the outside primaries that bolt to the motor if u got them. Also be nice to swap some info or questions if u know anything about these motors.
                  1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                  fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                  55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                  R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                  Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

thanks man! Fork swap is pretty straight forward. just gotta fit the headlights, hand controls, and horn. the whole front end minus the wheel was 250$. 150$ for the black enkei rim

honestly i've never delt much with the internals of engines yet so i don't know a whole lot. figured i'd wait a year to finish the dental tech program i'm in to do the build. i've got a local guy who's ganna show me the ropes on rebuilding a dead cylinder on another bike i got first.

i don't plan on boring or any major upgrading on the b12. i was thinking about using holeshot products and getting the help of dale. i'd consider taking that advancer off your hands.

ive got a large box of bandit engine parts i haven't gone through yet. i don't know if i have the header collars but if you need anything else, let me know

Comment

honestly just the header collars. I just got a 750 cooler, sprocket cover and pushrod so I can keep the pre kats stock cable clutch, as well as the 750 breather so the motor will fit.

Somethings ive learned while researching...

There are a few things that should be done to the B12 which Im not sure if you know. Hot ticket is holeshots exhaust and ignition advancer and jet kit with pods. gets you a whole bunch more power, then you got the GSXR 750 cams or GSXF 1100 cams. The bottom ends of these motors are essentially bullet proof.

Things that should be done, stock B12 clutch is diaphram type and very weak for the B12s massive tq so its easy to smoke/slip or wear out a B12 clutch pretty quickly esp if the power has been increased. Only solution is to swap in a GSXF 1100 clutch basket and stuff, or upgrade what you got. Which inlcudes new suzuki stock clutches (aftermarket EBC and stuff is poo apparently) and at least 1 heavy duty spring to increase clamping, you can do more but the clutch lever becomes excessive to pull.

Not sure if the B12 has tranny issues like the Kat's (2nd gear crap) but the kat's are a 6 speed and the B12 is a 5 speed. However the gearing is much different and you will like the B12s gears bc of the low end tq, plus cruising speeds will be reduced to like 5K at 90mph where as the kat would be like 7500-8K at 90mph.

Anyway, keep us updated and let me know whats in that box!!!

Comment

Nice. I want to play with my lights some. I like that shorter tail look.

Comment

Oh and if you have a bandit alternator gear, I need that too!

Comment

Hey thanks for all that great info. I haven't done much research yet myself. Ill open that box up soon. I'm pretty sure ill have an alternator gear somewhere

Comment

Ok, it's gotta be the bandit alternator gear, Kats are slightly different tooth count. Let me know through PM if u got one.

Comment

Working...
                              X