X

Parts bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts bike

I found a parts bike at a local bike shop that is closing down. It is a 94 kat 750. It is missing the following: plastics except tail section, carbs, gauges, controls, and the tank. They are asking $150. It comes with the title. The engine and tranny are in unknown condition, they couldnt remember because they have had the bike so long.

Is this worth it? I am going to call and ask about the seat and the tires.

Without a set of carbs it's hard to know if it's worth it... and it's already missing some of the parts worth selling off.

See if they can do a compression check/leak down on the motor.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Seems like you might be getting into a can of worms. But have them give you the dates on the tires, not just the "yeah, they look purty guud" response. That's alot of of parts to replace, and plastics are getting hard to come by, but there are (few) alternatives. And there may be a reason the bike is in that condition. Such as, the second gear/motor was shot and they used it for parts for other machines of the same era that needed stuff (and probably charged full price for, inferring a reason they are closing down). Just a thought, seems shady to me.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

depends what you want the bike for. If your paying $150 to make it your bike, then no. If you're paying $150 to part it out, then yes. I could make 1000% profit on that easy.

Comment

If I get it I was going to save what I need and part the rest. But since I have not been in bikes long I don't know if there is enough left on the bike to justify it.

Comment

it's called a "parts bike" for a reason.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I would think that at 150.00 with a clean title it ought to be worth it. could be a good project starting point or a good bike to make a few bucks off of. Should be able to sell the frame for 150.00+ with a clean title

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

IMHO: If the shop stripped the bike of parts, then it wasn't likely to be running right to start with and the repair bill was high enough the original owner (who brought it to the shop) decided to walk away from it instead. That means -- again IMHO -- that your only use for it is to part it. Whether that's for your own bike that you already own, or for profit is strictly up to you, but don't get your heart set on bringing that particular bike back to life (ever).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If I get it I will deffinently parting it out. I am just trying to decide if I will be able to make my money back in a decent amount of time based off what is already gone. I have no desire to try to turn this parts bike into a road worthy bike.

Comment

Buy it and make a go-kart.
                    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

With a good frame & title, you'll make your $150 back with no issues.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I sold a 750 motor on ebay for over 200 and stated right on it was that all I knew is that the starter cranked it over. You'll get your money back easy.
                        '07 SV1000S
                        Power Commander III USB
                        M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
                        Driven 520 chain kit
                        Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                          it's called a "parts bike" for a reason.
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X