X

chopped that shovel! (pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chopped that shovel! (pics)

So people searching might find it, I did a fender eliminator with a Creese bracket....

So I cheated a little. Special K was selling an already cut fender so I thought well I'll buy his and still have my stock one if I want to reverse it someday (probably never will, but I'll just store the stock fender)
    He also had a Creese bracket and some DOT approved mini stalks. I bought the whole shebang. I love it! No install is complete without some zip ties and you can see those on the license light which I pulled off the stock fender. The turn signal brackets were some I had left over from my truck's billet grille install kit that I drilled out and bent to what I wanted. They bolted up to stock bolt locations on the inside of the fender. They are SOLID. The license plate light is bolted onto the Creese bracket with some cut plumbers tape and then held up with the zip ties, so if the zip ties let go, it wouldn't toss into the tire, just sag. I wanted the reflector and lic plate light to stay so I had to figure out how to make it work. The mini stalks Special K had are so much brighter than stock. I was considering getting clear covers for the stock lights, but I like these so much better. Anyway sorry for the rambling. I will answer any questions you might have. I also pulled the stock fender off and put this one on without taking the tire off, loosening the dogbones etc. I spent about 6 hours total on this trying to figure out the brackets etc. Turn signals had the same wire pattern as stock (solid black and a black/white wire) so I just cut the plugs off the old lights and put them on the new ones so it would plug right in. Enjoy!

Here are links to bigger pics also.

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Its amazing how different bikes look after that!

Comment

Yeah, other than the exhaust, it's usually the first mod I do. The Kat has an abnorminally hideous fender that begs to be chopped or eliminated too.
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I hated how mine looked, so I simply took a hacksaw to it. It looks so much better now.

Comment

I did mine with a sawzall and a dremel. big improvement to the appearance.
          -- Craig S. - -
          aka - craigkat

1996 katana 600

Comment

Looks great! Are those pre-98 turn signals? They look like the turn signals on my pre.
            Roops Photography|facebook|
            03 GSXR 1000
            04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
            Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Originally posted by profroopchan
              Looks great! Are those pre-98 turn signals? They look like the turn signals on my pre.
              No I got them from Special K. I think the company that makes them is R&S. I know it's the same vendor as a lot of the ebay turn signals, but these are DOT approved. So much brighter than stock also.

Over the weekend we found one small issue. With my wife on the back the plate might get too close to the tire on bumps. She's not too keen on riding on the back, but I know a friend of mine's wife wants too so I will have to check it out before we go 2up anywhere.

Comment

This is quite lame, but excuse me...I have to ask.
                I have searched for three days and wasted hours trying to find a license plate frame designed to hang underneath the tailight. It's a simple bracket.
                Where did everyone who chopped the shovel get their plate bracket?
                Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Comment

It's a "creese bracket". Look on ebay for katana, fender eliminator and it will pull him up. I've read on here that if you email him outside of ebay, he'll do 15 shipped. You can also look for creese braket on KR.

Good luck!

Comment

You can make your own with corner brackets, or 'L' brackets at the hardware store...

By the way jeff, lookin good dude!
                    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                    18v Rigid Drill
                    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by james71
                      This is quite lame, but excuse me...I have to ask.
                      I have searched for three days and wasted hours trying to find a license plate frame designed to hang underneath the tailight. It's a simple bracket.
                      Where did everyone who chopped the shovel get their plate bracket?
                      I bought a GSX-R shock racing license plate holder from bikebandit.com and bolted it on.
                      Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Working...
                      X