X
X

How to Paint your Bike or Bike Parts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• y not download the pdf on the original post and then print it from there?

Comment

• for some reason I was blind when I posted that. Thanks

Comment

• awesome.. guess what im going to do now..

Comment

• wow, this is a great guide, I would definitely read this again when it comes time to paint my bike.

Comment

• JUST AN FYI.

He is right about the Rustoleum, he may not know it (most people don't the reason I do is because I used to sell it) but the reason it prevents rust is fish oil! It got started on a fishing boat. Captain realized that the boat never rusted, it didn't matter if it was painted or not. The reason was the fish oil from all the fish that hit the deck. THUS, every rustoleum product (well the paint anyways, I don't think you have to worry about it with epoxy finishes) works the same way because of the same stuff in fish oil!

Comment

• That is the most indepth article that i have found on the net by far. I know cant wait to paint my 93 750.

Comment

• Thanks so much for this, it will be a huge help when I tackle my 2005 600.
                05 GSX 600F My Work In Progress!

Comment

• Very helpful DIY guide.

I need some suggestions however. I just re-painted the lower cowling on my 03 katana. I followed this guide closely right down to the recommended dupli-color paint. I have a little bit of overspray in one place as well as a tiny run (drip) on another part. I was wondering what was the best way to tackle these issues? I havent applied the clear coat as of yet, just the three coats that were instructed to do on the back of the can. i was going to sand the drip with 400 grit paper (then 800) and the overspray area with 800 grit
                  then give it a LIGHT coat (still trying to perfect the light coat as you guys can probably tell.) Any insight would be appreciated.

Comment

• Do you need to wet sand and compound polish the clear coat after? How long after you complete the clear coat do you do this?

Comment

• Depends on what you are going for decent or showroom. If you are going for the showroom look then yes you will want to wet sand and buff. Curing times vary look at the directions of the paint being used it should tell you.

Comment

• how come i can't see the pictures??

Comment

• Maybe because the thread is from 2004? Check the PDF in the first post.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• awesome..... Ill be using this to the T when i paint my Kat soon. Now just got to decide whether i want it black or that changing color one.....
                            2002 GSX600F

Comment

• Excellent writeup! I've got my tank stripped and I'm in the process of knocking out the dents with a stud welder and slide hammer. It takes a lot of time but it'll be worth it when I'm done.
                              '92 GSX600F Bobber
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X