X

2001 gsxf

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 gsxf

Ok I have searched every post I can on here for my problem (and with no luck) So here I go. 2001 katana 600 GSXF Will crank over (New battery) wont start, backfires out the exhaust after starter has stopped (sometimes key off) Took carbs off (bowls were clean) plugs were wet, Replaced plugs (No help). coils ohmed out good. CLEANED every connecting plugs on harness (even ones that do go to engine) Fuel fresh, Will not fire on either.Now could my throttle sensor be advancing/retarding my timing and causing me this grief? the bike was ridden until it got cold in TX. then last for the last month under a cover. Which is where I am now, Not riding and unhappy Please help!

Do you get spark? Could be the pickup or the ignition box.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Or the pilot circuit is clogged.

Comment

.....I assumed, because the plugs were wet and the statement that it after fires even with the key turning off, it would be an ignition problem. I could be wrong....
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

The plugs being wet doesn't mean it has enough fuel to fire, it just mean it has some fuel coming. An after fire is caused by a lean condition. A partially clogged pilot circuit will cause a lean condition. I'm not saying you're wrong or I am right. Just that their are other possibilities other than no spark.

Comment

Agree
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

I thank everyone for the ideas, I did buy another igniter box and I will give that a shot. I will look into the carbs more, but it would not start on ether also thats why I was leaning towards a timing problem. But I will still look into the latter.

Comment

Timing is fixed, I seriously doubt it would be that. Very rare to have a problem there unless bits and pieces in the engine are actually broken. Have you measured voltage at the coils? If the starter activates, most common nonstart issues are electrical (usually insufficient voltage to the coils, need 11v or more) or dirty carbs (pilot circuit specifically)
                Have you visually verified that you actually get spark, and that you get 11V at the coils when the starter is cranking? That'll go a long way towards narrowing down what might be wrong.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yes, I have confirmed I have spark And I have Voltage at the coils (checked it while cranking) Do you think the "Relay" mod would help? I will be working on it Saturday and will get back to here and report the progress.

Comment

Coil relay will only help if you're getting less than 11V at the coils when the starter is spinning. You mentioned checking it, but not that is was low, so I'm assuming you got 11+.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I just had a thought to throw into the mix. An after fire, a back fire through the exhaust. Is cause by unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber hitting the hot header pipe and detonating. Obviously that is not whats happening.

Comment

Flooding issue, did you check the oil for fuel?
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Exhaust is cold, oil has no fuel smell, my meter read 12.6 before starting it at coils and while cranking dropped to 10.5V. and its not calibrated so I figured margin of error it was ok. Here's more background, For 2 years I put it in a garage every night. Then because of work (and living in apt with no covered parking) it has been outside under a cover. my problem started last summer it was caught in a mild rain (uncovered) and thats when it happened. Now I did get it running after that (don't ask me how I just did) rode it for while parked it due to cold weather covered it, and now here I am again.
                          Last edited by Winger; 03-21-2015, 01:45 PM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

GSXFJim had the same problem, turned out to be the pickup was bad, measured good but, didn't start. Used a loner pickup and it started.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

92xjunker Thanks mine ohms out good also so I thought its ok. I will get one and try it because THAT makes sense. No moving parts but controls WHEN to fire.

Comment

Working...
                              X