X

Anyone used a Kobalt Spray Gun?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used a Kobalt Spray Gun?

Has anyone used or have any feedback on a Kobalt spray gun?

Lowe's has a gun for $60 that I'm thinking of getting to paint the rails on my flat bed truck and future Kat projects.

I have no experience whatsoever with painting or paint guns, this will be my first project.
    Any advise is much appreciated.
    Thanks!

http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

I would like to know how well that works. I might have to get one. My compressor is a small wall mount. I hope it can handle it.

Comment

$60 for that set is a steal. Ive not used a Kobalt gun yet but I do have a friend who paints every day and uses one. He says its just as good as his $400 guns. If your compressor will keep up with it, buy a pressure regulator and experiment around with different gun and air pressure settings until you find its sweet spot. The down side is if you have a small compressor its probably not gonna keep up with it or any other gun. The regulator will help some but not much.
      If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

$60 spray guns are great until you use a $400 and then you wonder why you bought the cheap one. Ive got a Husky that I use for Primer and it works great. Im sure it would be fine for paint if I cleaned it good enough, but unless you are a damn good painter, you wont know the difference.

I made the mistake of learning on a high end Devilbiss... Now Im spoiled. (Not that I can paint worth a damn)
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

The Harbor Freight gun #66222 or #43430 (old part number) have gotten great reviews from painters. Their other guns are, as they say, primer-quality-only, but this one particular gun is supposed to be very good. It's a Sata clone, and sells for almost nothing. Google "Harbor Freight 66222" and read up. If you aren't going to be painting a lot, then I doubt it is worth it to pick up a $400 gun.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I use the harbor freight gun. Works great. Almost as good as the guns I used at volvo penta pianting boat motors but they were electrstatic so bough said.
            When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

I've seen $60 guns lay paint as well as $400+ guns. Technique, patience, and proper gun control and settings make all the difference in the world. Just take some time once you get it out of the box and cleaned to really learn how to make fine adjustments on the spray pattern and air pressure adjustments. I can not stress enough to be sure your paint gun is clean before doing anything, everytime you get it out to use it, regardless of how well you cleaned it before you put it up the last time you used it.

One last thing...if you can't figure it out, ask. No such thing as a stupid question when it comes to paint. I've been painting (hobby, not pro) for a long time, and still ask questions when something gets stupid. You'll find that most other painters are very open to helping you out.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Thanks all for your input.

I went ahead and got the Kobalt gun kit last night and sprayed the primer this morning. The gun worked properly from what I can tell (I have no prior experience to compare it to) had no problems with it nor the air compressor. I reduced the primer just a fraction with mineral spirits, maybe 4% to 5% and only got two spits during the whole process which I assume is from improperly stirring the paint.
                Adjusted the pattern and fluid rate to my liking on a piece of cardboard and went at it. At the start I was antsy but I got comfortable after about five minutes. What was unexpected was how quickly my wrist got tired but the biggest pain was the post cleanup of the gun.

I was shopping around for paint but run out of time so I just went to home depot and picked up whatever they had on hand.

Paint and primer used:
                Rust-Oleum White primer
                Rust-Oleum Gloss White Protective Enamel

I will do the base tomorrow morning and see how that turns out. Attached are a few pics of the primer "job".
                Attached Files
                http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

I can personally say price is not the issue, mostly the operator but also the "style" of gun. That gun may work for what the avg. "do it yourselfer" wants to have. However there aren't many professionals using that style anymore. ALMOST Everyone is using a "HVLP" gun ("High Volume Low Pressure). The advantage is that the air coming out of the gun isn't at as high of a velocity so you run less risk of spatter, and "blow runs" (when the gun sprays the paint and creates a "blast" that pushes the paint out and causes a run. this is usually small enough you don't know, unless you pay attn to what you have done, and/or clear coat it). The HVLP gun does exactly that, higher volume of paint at a lower pressure. It doesn't SHOOT the paint, it LAYS it down. This allows you to make fewer passes/coats and get the same results. The style you have will work just as good, you just have to be more patient with it to be consisitent. If anyone's looking to buy a gun I ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND (and wouldn't use anything else) a HVLP gun.

Comment

Kobalt sprayer

Ok here's the situation. Straight out of the box it sprayed like glass. Today same paint and same compressor settings. I did clean it and moved all the nobs after cleaning "mistake" today it sprayed no where near as smooth. What have I screwed up?

Comment

help which air compressor do I use for the kobalt spray gun model # SGY-AIR160TZ

Comment

Working...
                      X