X

no spark issues continued

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no spark issues continued

well heres the low down. replaced the igniter no go, replaced the side stand relay no go. got new plugs no go. i cant see both coils going at the same time but its worth a shot i guess. the pulse generator ohmed good but i dont know how i am gonna test that. also i notced there is a crack on the left side of the engine. its a dry spot cause no oil comes out i think the starter goes into the peice that it covers. could there be a failed component in there?
    Curtis R Burnside

No , nothing under that cover would prevent spark . It's starter gears .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You may have missed one of the most simple causes:

The Run/Off red switch on the right hand handlebar control pod. Disassemble the control pod and clean it out with WD-40 or electrical cleaner very liberally, the repack with dielectric grease. You may also want to simply jumper it temporarily for testing purposes. Rain, dirt, debris can get forced in there by hard winds/rains and cause it to effectively switch to off in the RUN position, resulting in everything else lighting up but not getting any spark. Also trace the wires coming off it and make sure they aren't mangled or stripped anywhere.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanx for the look out, i will dissassemble and clean it. when i switch the switch to off nothing turns over when i switch it to on it turns over so i thought it was good.
        Curtis R Burnside

Comment

Originally posted by snakethis69
          thanx for the look out, i will dissassemble and clean it. when i switch the switch to off nothing turns over when i switch it to on it turns over so i thought it was good.
          You're right there but it also kills the bike..
          So it ties into some spark kill as well as disabling the starter..
          Not sure about that switch, it would need two sets of contacts
          (one for kill and one for starter) to be the problem.
          However that circuit is something to trace.

Comment

****coff**coff*** CDI box just went throu your same problem...The last thing in the circut that cant be checked. See if the dealer or a motorcycle junk yard will let you try it before you buy one..They cost used around $200.
            I went nuts with mine finaly I got the dealer to let me bring my bike their and they gave me the part I installed it two plugs and wolaaaaaaa fired right up

Comment

i just got a new cdi and that wasnt it. but thanx for the look out.
              Curtis R Burnside

Comment

Working...
              X