center stand install how to

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87vert
    Originally posted by HS2020
    You take the entire center stand and THROW it has far as you can. Then you go buy a rear stand from www.pit-bull.com

Really can not help you with out putting a pic up.
    or buy a t-rex racing stand off ebay for less than half the price.
    One of my plans is to build a stand that either work off the center stand bosses or off that huge pipe through the frame.. Why?
    Because using a swing arm stand doesn't help when working on the rear suspension..

Comment

jebus, those springs were hard to get on.

Comment

how did you get them on? I have a center stand on now with no springs and I am afraid of losing an eye trying to stretch them on.
        Still can't find the correct springs as well. every dealer (including Ron Ayers) thinks I am asking for side stand springs.
        Are the side stand springs the same for the center stand?
        The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

I sent you a PM regarding the springs. And no, the side stand springs are different.

You will see when you get the springs that they do NOT stretch, at least with manual arm strength.

I tried somehow using some weird tool and leveraging them on with the stand bolted.

Then I unbolted the stand, connected the springs first, and bolted one side (easily). Then I worked on bolting the other side. This took my dad and I a good 45 minutes, several cuss words, and a lot of sweat. In the end, I believe (in the up position, with the springs attached on both ends, and one side of the stand bolted) we levered the stand in place to get the last bolt in with a big metal bar and a vise.

Comment

Originally posted by newride
            how did you get them on? I have a center stand on now with no springs and I am afraid of losing an eye trying to stretch them on.
            Still can't find the correct springs as well. every dealer (including Ron Ayers) thinks I am asking for side stand springs.
            Are the side stand springs the same for the center stand?
            I put the big fat one on myself, and carefully drive to the bike shop and get them to put on the small spring. They have a small tool, and it slips on without hassel.
            Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

spring puller might help

Comment

Hey 87vert,
                That is a cool tool. Have you ever used one?
                Peace,
                Jeremy
                The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

Comment

Nevermind, I just purchased one. Have a feeling I will need it.
                  Peace,

Comment

Zombie Thread awaken~!

What if, instead of a little hoop for a spring to attach to on the right side of the center stand, there's a hook on the left side of the center stand. Also, I am missing the L shaped piece that the other end of the springs attach to. And, to further try to complicate the situation I received regular kick stand springs instead of the short center stand springs.

So, the part that appears to be where you would attach a spring onto the center stand is on the opposite side, no L-shaped bracket to hook springs to, and too long of springs.

Do I need to fab something up for the springs to grab onto? Is the L-shaped bracket that important?

Thanks in advance!
                    Chris
                    I invite you to church.

Comment

you know my bike didnt have one on it when i got it,is there another way to lift it up without it? i have milk crates and jacks and jack stands...
                      sigpic
                      -Cory-
                      1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Hey can anyone tell me how to install it without dropping the exhaust? It'd be much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by 600toStart View Post
                          Zombie Thread awaken~!

What if, instead of a little hoop for a spring to attach to on the right side of the center stand, there's a hook on the left side of the center stand.
                          Sounds like you have a "post" center stand for a "pre" bike. You can weld on a hook (any shape should do, you could just buy a hook and weld it on).

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
                          you know my bike didnt have one on it when i got it,is there another way to lift it up without it? i have milk crates and jacks and jack stands...
                          If you wanted to do it with just that stuff, you may be able to do it with some help. You could put a board on the jack and lift where the exhaust pipes run on the bottom, while someone keeps the bike balanced. Then put milk crates under the swing arm on both sides.

There are rear stands that lift via spools attached to the swingarm and front stands that lift at the bottom of the triple tree. The exhaust is flat enough that you can use a motorcycle jack and some tie-downs.

There's also the pipe stand approach.
                          Last edited by paul.miner; 11-07-2009, 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

wouldnt that bend the exhaust? the manual says a board on a jack and jack up on the oil pan but im kinda iffy about that
                            sigpic
                            -Cory-
                            1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
                              wouldnt that bend the exhaust? the manual says a board on a jack and jack up on the oil pan but im kinda iffy about that

It would take more than 500 lbs to dmg either the exhaust or oil pan if your slowing lifting it with a jack, especially if you use a wood medium between the jack and the bike. Sudent impacts are never good reguardless of the weight (4 oz hammer can make dents...)

I normally use 2 small 2x4 pieces, and 1 longer piece... the 2 small are placed under the frame portions, larger holds those 2... jack on the larger one. I do this because I can then remove parts like oil plug, exhaust, etc...

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I just got a "pre" center stand (from a salvage yard) for my '92 Kat 600. I have all of the bits, including the "L" shaped bracket. I have a good idea of how to mount it from the picture that Special K posted.

I have the same question that someone else asked, can this be done without dropping the stock pipes?

Thanks, in advance.
                                sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                                1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                                2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                                First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                                Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                                X