X

Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket

well after hearing so many rave reviews about Joe Rocket i went out and picked up a mesh armored jacket.

if you want an honest opinion on this jacket, here you go:

It's Great!

the inner mesh is very breathable and light, and the outer mesh is a very heavy tight weave. the jacket is considerably heavier than what i'm used to, but that comes with the territory of the thicker weave and 100 zippers.

the armor is non cumbersome and you barely notice it's there, except for the elbows. i noticed that the elbows were slightly too wide for the compartment they are in which caused them to curl and become uncomfortable, so i removed them.

the vents are all easy to reach for easy opening and closing aside from the back vents of course, and you don't get the steam cook feeling you do with leather or other loose fitting mesh.

the cowl and collar tuck right up to where my helmet ends, giving a nice seal from wind and the riding pants zipper is a nice addition although i do not wear zip-to pants, and just use the belt loop straps that are also there.

I purchased the jacket used from a friend that owns a pawn shop for $80 (MSRP $160 for the XL) and i'd even recommend it at the $160 price.

Do you think you'd be willing to jump from a car door in that jacket at what speed?

Comment

Thats honestly a good question. Never heard it put like that.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I bought a mesh jacket / joe rocket phoenix 11.0 only wore it once. Just don't like the feel of it. My leather motorcycle jacket is padded & has air vent
        zippers front and back to keep me cool, I'll take my thick leather jacket
        for protection over mesh any day. Just my 2 cents/

Comment

For what its worth I have a mesh joe rocket jacket too.
          I could only imagine wearing leather in the 90+ humid FL weather.
          For the 10 miles I might drive in a day its ok for me. I dont do highways and all that jazz.

Comment

Well, it looks like a good jacket as I saw it online, don't take any of that armor out, specially the back pad.
            I wear a mesh jacket too when the temp is above 80f, but mine has thick pads everywhere, and I can dunk it in water for evap cooling too. Did that on a 90f day, it felt uneven but really chilled me for half an hour.

Comment

If the elbow pads don't seem to fit right, maybe you can modify them slight to fit in the pocket better, but I would not remove them. Believe me, if you go down, you will want the elbow pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Vador View Post
                the elbows were slightly too wide for the compartment they are in which caused them to curl and become uncomfortable, so i removed them.
                You really need the armour. Without the armour, you might as well ride naked. In reality, a mesh jacket's main purpose is to hold the armour in place. If you wear it, it will mould to your shape over time. In any case, getting used to the slightly uncomfortable feeling is a lot easier than getting used to no elbows.

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                Do you think you'd be willing to jump from a car door in that jacket at what speed?
                I'm not sure that wearing a leather or textile jacket would be part of my decision-making process. I've been with riders who have come off wearing textile gear and it has protected them perfectly. No road rash. The bits that broke, like thumbs and ribs, would have broken no matter what they were wearing. And certainly, in heat, textile is the way to go. You swap to textile at 80*. Over here, it can reach 110+, so mesh - with armour - is the go. Leather comes into it's own if you're really into speed because it will protect more of you for longer as you slide down the road. At everyday speeds (up to about 70 mph) the difference in protection between good textile and leather is minimal.
                Last edited by TRPUT; 06-19-2015, 07:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

oh yeah the elbow armor i took out is currently wrapped around the arm of my couch to reform it. they'll be put back in.

naturally its a mesh jacket so i'm not expecting it to help me re-enter the atmosphere unscathed, but with 3 seperate layers of mesh on top of armor, i feel safe in saying it'd protect me from any type of rash by the time i came to a stop.

Comment

I've got a leather Joe Rocket, I love it.
                    Owned it for about 6 years. Hot days are not that much of a problem unless its humid. I can really tell a difference when its humid, so I just unzip the front/main zipper. I abuse it with a back pack EVERY TIME I RIDE. Its outstanding, I can't say enough. The zippers have impressed me so much. I thought they would at least snag once or twice with in 6 years but they haven't. The elbow pads do seem slightly big if your wearing it like a winter coat, but when I'm in the riding position they're great. I did take the upper back pad out because the Kat600 seat raises up and wringles the foam pad which was uncomfortable. Cleaning, I've not once had to oil it or wax it. At this point its only taken a damp cloth to clean it, even the greasy spot just wipe off with a wet cloth. GREAT !

Oh, icon super duty gloves rock too !
                    Last edited by katanarider; 07-04-2015, 08:26 AM.
                    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

My boss has a Joe Rocket ballistic jacket, and loves it! I have a Tourmaster Transition II jacket and love it until Fall, then I use my Olympia cordura 3/4 length coat, and love it!
                      '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion Jacket and am very pleased with it. Leather is not Florida during the summer IMO. The jacket has a water proof liner and a vest for cooler weather. Also it has high reflectivity at night. Check out the link: http://joerocket.com/catalog/index.c...on_Mesh_Jacket I got the murdered out version.
                        2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Joe Rocket is one off the most trust worth brand for the motorcycle riders. There are few things i have to sum up motorcycle riders are confused about.
                          When it comes to the motorcycle safety i don't think so there is any other better option other then motorcycle leather jacket fully equipped with the armors.
                          A Good mesh jacket can also provide you protection during ride but not upto the level of leather jacket and same happens in the case of textile jackets.
                          So don't mixed up the things and try to wear the best avaible options suits to your riding condition.
                          A track rider can't continue safe ride with textile jackets vice versa a long distance rider is not be comfortable with the Leather jacket as much as it is with textile.

Comment

I can wear my leather all day, hours upon hours as long as there is wind through it !
                            Mine has a mesh liner, sealed/colored leather.
                            I think it depends on the color you have. Dark colors hold heat/absorb sun light.
                            Mine is white and blue. Don't get me wrong, 90+ degrees is hot reguardless even if you have a tee shirt.
                            Last edited by katanarider; 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM.
                            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

my joe rocket UFO jacket came with a removable waterproof lining. so I can use it most of the year. Im only riding in town. doesn't go well with my current rider (a 250cc) with all the racing factory tags and such but its pretty comfortable, breathe-able, and has the protection. I also like that I can adjust the arm and lower back to snug.
                              93 Kat 750
                              02 RAM 1500
                              04 BMW X3
                              ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Working...
                              X