X

Beware of Roadside Assistance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Roadside Assistance?

I recently found out that some insurance companies are reporting use of roadside assistance as claims on your CLUE insurance report, so I went and checked mine at the link below. Like your credit report, you can view your CLUE insurance report for free once a year.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.c...le/landing.jsp

I have Progressive roadside assistance and had my car towed a couple months ago. Luckily for me, it looks like they did not report it as a claim.

Unluckily for me, my mother's various towing uses have been added to my report by her podunk local insurer since we happened to share the same address back when I was growing up (go figure). I'm going to have these removed.

I don't know how you find out if an insurer will report use of roadside assistance as an insurance claim, but it appears that Progressive may not. It might be worth paying AAA's insanely high rate for motorcycle coverage instead of your insurer's dirt cheap coverage that they may use to jack up your rates.

As y'all check your reports, what are you finding? Maybe we can figure out who the assholes are and list them here.

AMA - You should really check out their membership options for towing. I pay like $49 a year for my package.

once a week, unlimited otherwise, no charge, all vehicles, and all of your immediate family are covered.

I've used the service at least 10 time since being a member. Can't say anything but positive words.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 05-13-2014, 07:14 AM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I just noticed the AMA benefit while poking around their website this afternoon. Sounds like a bargain compared to the $100+ I was paying with AAA years ago. Good to have your recommendation on it.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/join

About AMA Roadside Assistance
      AMA Roadside Assistance covers all of the vehicles in your household including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and trailers. All family members living in your household are covered. Towing services include up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility or to any other location of equal distance at no expense.

Comment

Originally posted by elsueco View Post
        I just noticed the AMA benefit while poking around their website this afternoon. Sounds like a bargain compared to the $100+ I was paying with AAA years ago. Good to have your recommendation on it.

Join the American Motorcyclist Association. Stand with hundreds of thousands of riders who joined the AMA to protect their right to ride.

About AMA Roadside Assistance
        AMA Roadside Assistance covers all of the vehicles in your household including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and trailers. All family members living in your household are covered. Towing services include up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility or to any other location of equal distance at no expense.

Did I mention that AMA members get 10% off at bikebandit.com?

I'm pretty sure I've spent more than enough for that discount to have been a net gain instead of a cost to me.

The magazine is pretty cool as well. It's really informative about the on going issues out there, and a great way to be more informed about your rights, and how to go about making sure you protect those rights. Plus other pretty cool articles.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That's good to know Tim. I didn't realize they covered all vehicles and all people in the household. I will be checking into this.

Comment

I've got AAA Premier now so I can have just 1 number to call, from anywhere, for up to 200 mile towing (Being 150ish miles from home, at all kinds of weird hours while on road rallyes, in a car that can take months to get parts for is common for me, so I need to be able to make a call and get it home easily). The RV upgrade is only $30 more (to get motorcycle coverage), so I'll probably do that when renewal time comes around. They don't seem to cause any negative impact on insurance reports (I've actually used all up my included tows on one particularly bad year while having an especially bad electrical problem that took multiple shop visits to finally get completely fixed).

Good to know about AMA though, if 35 miles covered my needs I'd be going that route.
            Last edited by 1LE; 05-21-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

That's crazy that they start to report that. I'm assuming its because less people are starting to report their accidents to carfax and autocheck so... they need some way to keep track of everything.

Comment

Working...
              X