X

Back Protectors??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Protectors??

I was digging at least the appearance of back protectors especially the ones that are mostly like a mesh vest with an armored insert on the back but was wondering if they would really even do anything in the event of an accident as I figure that it is kind of a go to move to slide on your back in the event of a higher speed crash and you sliding across pavement. BTW I live in Florida and am from upstate NY so heat has become unbearable to me

they don't really do much in the case of an accident. Honestly, It'll probably protect pieces of your back, but your shoulders/arms are going to get road rash. It won't be a pretty sight. Honestly, I think you should really look into checking our a jacket with lots of vents.. Price is a big deal to me, and I found that https://www.motorcyclehouse.com/Moto...ts-For-Men.htm has some good deals. Nothing that's complete leather but still better protection than a back protector.. The mesh jackets are going to provide great air flow...

Comment

There was a long back and forth discussion about this subject previously... someone might even look it up and post the link.

Basically... What your talking about is generally called an impact rig. It does an amazing job at exactly that... protecting you against reasonable impacts. A high side results in significantly more injuries most times due to the impact of being thrown in the air before hitting the pavement. Impact rigs help protect you in those cases.

They are NOT road rash protection. When used together... an impact rig and an good suit for rash protection, your in the best position possible to prevent injuries. I would highly recommend both if you can.

Barring that... road rash protection would rate higher in my book if you have to choose between the 2.

Mesh is highly breathable and works great. They are a one time use option though if you go down.

A lot of your rash protection suites will come with some impact inserts. They do not work as well as the good impact rigs, but... it's something.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

After going down at about 70 on a high side and getting thrown off the bike before it flipped I would never wear mesh or just back protector/ "armor". I was wearing a textile joe rocket full length jacket with armor in it and I walked away with little rash. Mostly my hands (no gloves since it was summer) and the bottom back of the jacket pulled up and exposed my right top of my butt cheek/hip/back. So i got rash there and a nice gouge in my hip from the jeans side button. Jacket took a beating and noticed the right shoulder was completely worn through yet i got nothing but a scratch on my shoulder.

If you go down and slide your going to wish you were wearing a full jacket. I prefer the textile with zippers bc they help you breath. Its still going to be hot with it on but hey… i like the skin on my body. Plus washing and cleaning rash wounds is not fun at all!

i just picked up a full icon textile jacket used from a member here. Its a heavy jacket good for cold weather riding but the removable liner will make it more tolerable in the summer.
        1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
        fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
        55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
        R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
        Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

ive got a Joe Rocket mesh jacket. It breathes fantastic, the only time ive ever got warm with it on is if im standing around with no wind at all. It also has tons of padding in it.

On the other hand though...there's really nothing to it. I fear that if I went down the mesh would shred and fling the pads and id end up hurting anyway. That's my fear and the reason im gonna get either a new leather or possibly a textile jacket.
          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I would recomend a jacket over the impact vest, but having both on would provide the best protection. There will always be an argument over what material to have for a jacket. I personally wear a mesh jacket that has leather in the places most likely to slide on the ground if you go down. so shoulders, up the back and elbows are full leather. Its the cortech gx air. There is no doubt full leather offers the most protection and they make perferated lether jackets, but you'll be super hot if you're in anything above 80*. I usually get my gear off motorcyclegear.com they have really good prices and tons of closeouts. They even do "free" stuff from time to time. You pay for the item, then get a gift card for the price of the item. I got a se of gloves, helmet and pants for about $200. Basically I paid for the helmet and got the gloves and pants free.

Comment

I don't need to take extreme heats into account when choosing gear since I don't live in that kind of climate. But I would never ride without both proper impact and abrasion protection.

Best back protector I know of is the one I use - Forcefield Sub4. Its rather comfortable since its not a hard/plate design but out of a soft, rubbery kind of material. Highly recommend it! I combine it with their (forcefield) chest protector - they fit great together

Comment

I ride with a Bilt Techno Mesh Motorcycle Jacket that has shoulder and elbow pads in the jacket, comes with a removable liner so you can get a ton of air when it's hot, I dropped another 20 bucks for the Dominator CE Back Protector Insert since the jacket just comes with a foam insert for the back, I haven't fallen off my bike yet but I feel reasonably better about it if I did with the Dominator than I did with just the foam insert. also the jack has a zipper on the bottom so it it doesn't ride up if you have the female end sewed onto your pants. I also have some bilt iron worker pants which offer more protection than your regular levi jeans, some removable knee pads built in and has Kevlar lined around the knees and butt that already had the female zipper end on them. I live in CA where it get's pretty ****in hot too.

Last edited by raidinmd; 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM.
                1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Working...
                X