'90 Kat 750 tire size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90 Kat 750 tire size

Hey all. I just have a quick question.

My bike has 110/80 17's on the front and 150/70 17's on the back.
    I am not a fan of the Battleaxes. I am also not a fan of the small list of
    tires I can buy.

I know ppl have posted about pre-Kat tire sizes and such and I have had a lot of trouble finding a thread for my bike. I would really appreciate if someone could let me know what sizes or tires they used with the most success.

I'd like to go with smaller profile and/or bigger width on both front and back.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Ciaiphas View Post
    Hey all. I just have a quick question.

My bike has 110/80 17's on the front and 150/70 17's on the back.
    I am not a fan of the Battleaxes. I am also not a fan of the small list of
    tires I can buy.

I know ppl have posted about pre-Kat tire sizes and such and I have had a lot of trouble finding a thread for my bike. I would really appreciate if someone could let me know what sizes or tires they used with the most success.

I'd like to go with smaller profile and/or bigger width on both front and back.

Thanks.

Generally speaking, you can use a size wider if you go a series smaller... except on your rear tire, as Suzuki already did that. The rear rim proper size is a 140/80. Suzuki went ahead and swapped it around for the 750 with the size option I mentioned, putting a 150/70 on. That is the max width you can do.

For your bike, the very common setup is a 120/70 front, 150/70 rear. You can't go wider than 150 on the rear (well, you can mount something wider, but it won't actually be wider once mounted because the rim will pinch it in smaller than a 150 properly mounted.) Won't ride worth a flip either in the curves.

If you want wider than the 150, you will need to swap the rear rim for a wider rim. There are a few options there depending on how much work, time, $, and what looks you want. An older Bandit 4.5" rim for example would match the curved spoke of the front rim, but takes some mods to the swingarm. The post kat (98-2002 years for the front) or any post kat rear, can be swapped in. That would allow you to run a 120/70 and 160/60 setup pretty well. A 170/60 will probably need some clearance modifications to the brake arm if not the swingarm too on the Pre swingarm.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Generally speaking, you can use a size wider if you go a series smaller... except on your rear tire, as Suzuki already did that. The rear rim proper size is a 140/80. Suzuki went ahead and swapped it around for the 750 with the size option I mentioned, putting a 150/70 on. That is the max width you can do.

For your bike, the very common setup is a 120/70 front, 150/70 rear. You can't go wider than 150 on the rear (well, you can mount something wider, but it won't actually be wider once mounted because the rim will pinch it in smaller than a 150 properly mounted.) Won't ride worth a flip either in the curves.

If you want wider than the 150, you will need to swap the rear rim for a wider rim. There are a few options there depending on how much work, time, $, and what looks you want. An older Bandit 4.5" rim for example would match the curved spoke of the front rim, but takes some mods to the swingarm. The post kat (98-2002 years for the front) or any post kat rear, can be swapped in. That would allow you to run a 120/70 and 160/60 setup pretty well. A 170/60 will probably need some clearance modifications to the brake arm if not the swingarm too on the Pre swingarm.

Krey

You're wisdom is astounding and appreciated.
      Thank you.

Do you think the 120 would be a better match for corners than the 110 considering the rear tire plays a role as well?

One last thing. I'll probably sound dumb, but.. as you know it's hard to find tires in those sizes. I was looking at the Pilots. Is it possible to do a 150/60 on the back? If so, cool, if not.. how come?
      Last edited by Ciaiphas; 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaiphas View Post
        You're wisdom is astounding and appreciated.
        Thank you.

Do you think the 120 would be a better match for corners than the 110 considering the rear tire plays a role as well?

One last thing. I'll probably sound dumb, but.. as you know it's hard to find tires in those sizes. I was looking at the Pilots. Is it possible to do a 150/60 on the back? If so, cool, if not.. how come?

My thoughts on the 150/60 = significantly rougher and harsher ride. Probably slightly deform the profile on the 3.5" rim. Lower weight rating by a good 150lbs, so... not a good idea for carrying a passenger or much gear after you weight in rider + bike only. If your not out constantly dragging knee style riding, your skill won't pass up the traction available on the other Michelin tires that come in the 150/70 correct size. And I mean literally, hard track riding with knee down after knee down.

For the front... the 120/70 is extreamly common, and the size is available in almost all brand tires. The diff in traction is going to be nominal between the sizes your asking about for the front, but the availability will be huge in matching up the front/rear brands and models.

If it was me buying new tires right now, it would Michelin Pilot Road 4s.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Pr4s - totally agree with that! 9k miles on my front since February, still in perfect shape (no flat spotting) which is insane because I do 100 miles a day of superslab commuting. Still have lots of tread left, and the tires have more traction than I have riding ability. I've run PR2, PR3, and now 4s, love them all, like each better than the last. Never lost traction with any of them and I do lots of riding in the rain come wintertime. I'm going to mount 17" wheels on my 1100 project - just so I can run PRs on it.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Interesting point of view. Thank you again, you've outdone yourself.

I will check out the pr4's and such. I just got tired of looking at the 1000 tires available for the front and to find the matching company doesn't sell a back tire to go with it so that is why I was considering another profile.

Thanks again guys for the info on the tires. I'll let you know how I fair out. I will stay with the 70 profile. It's rough enough with a chewed front tire, I'd hate to feel that all the time ya know.

Ciao for now.

Comment

Wow. Great tire. Although, I was a little put off when the mechanic asked what tire was on the bike and I said I wanted to change the size. He seemed to be a little worried by saying... "Are you sure you want to do that?"

Thanks to you guys, I replied confidently that I did.

'en route from Toronto to Philly in 4 days.

Comment

Working...
              X