X

Problem with bleeding front brakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with bleeding front brakes

Hi all, hope someone can help. I recently bought my 1995 GSX750F and on the ride home I noticed the front brakes very spongy. I stopped into my local bike shop and explained what was going on and he told me that the front brake pads were probably worn so I bought a new set. I also bought a master cylinder rebuild kit just in case. Now after rebuilding the master cylinder and replacing the pads i went on to bleed the brakes. For some unknown reason I cannot get the callipers to push the pads onto the disc. I spent ages bleeding the air out and I don't think there is any more in there but I still have no front brakes. The callipers worked before but brakes were spongy. please does anyone have any ideas I can try??

Try clamping off the brake hoses just above the callipers,if the brakes dont feel spongy its probably the calliper seals.I have just had the same problem and have ordered new seals and I,m pretty confident that it will fix the problem.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Comment

Thank you gwigs...I just went out and did what you suggested and bingo...no spongyness. Will order new seals now..Thanks so much, will keep that in mind for future reference...

Comment

Originally posted by gwigs View Post
        Try clamping off the brake hoses just above the callipers,if the brakes dont feel spongy its probably the calliper seals.I have just had the same problem and have ordered new seals and I,m pretty confident that it will fix the problem.

I had a damaged bleeder screw on one of my calipers as well, same issue.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

One trick I learned was/is to pull front brake on over night, use bungy cord to keep leaver back (or stand there all night, your choice) and see how it feels in the morning.
          When I want your opinion I'll tell you it!!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, I will check what you have mentioned, and thanks...

Comment

beware of the position of the master when bleeding
              I either try level or lever end slightly higher in case air is getting trapped in the master bore
              they move so little fluid that a little air can cause an issue

I have a mighty vac bleeder and it works awesome IMO
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by maverick57 View Post
                Thank you gwigs...I just went out and did what you suggested and bingo...no spongyness. Will order new seals now..Thanks so much, will keep that in mind for future reference...

I think I spoke too soon,put new seals in the callipers this morning but still cant get decent pressure,spent the best part of 6 hours and got nowhere.
                If I clamp of just 1 calliper it gives good pressure,doesn,t matter which calliper I clamp off,it makes a big improvement.
                I,m pretty frustrated by it ,Ive bled brakes many times before and never had a problems,I,d be ripping my hair out if I had any....
                And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

Comment

Think I have my problem solved,some how put callipers on wrong sides last time I had them off,
                  the hoses need to come into the callipers from the bottom so that the bleed niples are higher
                  so as not to trap air.....will find out soon wont take long to swap em over.....
                  Found this out by googling it ......love the interweb....
                  Will keep you posted.

Think I have my problem solved,some how put callipers on wrong sides last time I had them off,
                  the hoses need to come into the callipers from the bottom so that the bleed niples are higher
                  so as not to trap air.....will find out soon wont take long to swap em over.....
                  Will keep you posted.

Nope that was wrong they on go on one side, bollocks back never ending bleeding
                  Last edited by gwigs; 12-22-2012, 12:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I have used this method in the past with good results......

reverse bleeding

Comment

Will keep you posted.

Nope that was wrong they on go on one side, bollocks, back to never ending bleeding

Comment

Are you bleeding them with a piece of tubing into a container of fluid leaving the nipple fully open while you pump the lever?

Comment

Originally posted by jarvis View Post
                          Are you bleeding them with a piece of tubing into a container of fluid leaving the nipple fully open while you pump the lever?
                          Yes thats the way I normally bleed them but I have tried a bleeder with non return valve as well as bleeding with a syringe .

Comment

Yes thats the way I normally bleed them but I have tried a bleeder with non return valve as well as bleeding with a syringe .
                            Still no luck I take it?

If you haven't done already I'd be inclined to start from the beginning, check everything is tight, all the crush washers are in place then top up with fluid and start pumping.

Failing that a set the bloody thing on fire and claim off your insurance lol

Comment

Have you open master cylinder n clean it ? Maybe need to clean the whole brake lines.
                              Last edited by drvk; 12-27-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X