X

(POST) Rear tire size VS Handling

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (POST) Rear tire size VS Handling

Now that my first season with the Kat is over, it's time for new tires, and I am going to go with the Michilin Pilot Road tires. They have good reviews, and I currently have a Pilot Power on the back and love the way it grips... but moving on to the question:

I read this web page about the POST katana rear tire size and handling: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/Katana/kat_tires.html. I do mostly highway miles with some back roads here and there, but I am still a novice about understanding motorcycle physics at the tires grip limits (this is where I need help). My current tire size in the rear is a 170/60/17 (mich pilot power, came with the bike), though the oem size is 150/70/17. The grip is really good (which I can attest to the rubber compound), but according to this website, the handling should be worse than the oem size. I am looking to improve my riding skills, and don't really care for the fat tire look.

Since it's time for new tires (going to go with the pilot road, F&R), which rear tire size should I go with: the 170/60 or the 150/70??

Thanks
    -RyanR
    1999 Katana 600

160/60
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      160/60
      +1

I am currently running mich pilot powers and have 160/60 on mine. I love it!
      Former Marine 3/97-3/01
      MOS 0161 Semper FI!
      sigpic

Comment

Whichever size, go with the PR II's - after trying Dunlop 205's, Pirelli Stradas, Metzler Z6's - the Michelin PR II's have incredible grip and thus far (6K miles) great tread life. Oh, I run stock 15/70/17 and once in a while 2 up with no issues at all.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
          Whichever size, go with the PR II's - after trying Dunlop 205's, Pirelli Stradas, Metzler Z6's - the Michelin PR II's have incredible grip and thus far (6K miles) great tread life. Oh, I run stock 15/70/17 and once in a while 2 up with no issues at all.
          ++

I have over 10K on mine with absolutely no issues and barely any ware!

Except they are useless on wet grass, mud, sand, snow, ice, etc.

But don't let that stop you
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
          Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
          R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
          1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
          RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
          3BBB turn signal mirrors,
          Black painted seat and rear trim,
          Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
            ++

I have over 10K on mine with absolutely no issues and barely any ware!

Except they are useless on wet grass, mud, sand, snow, ice, etc.

But don't let that stop you
            160/60 MPR2's it is then! I have taken the kat on some dirt back roads (by accident), and it was ok at 10mph. Thanks again everybody!
            -RyanR
            1999 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
            X