X

Will these Carbs work on my 89 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will these Carbs work on my 89 600

I found this set of carbs, and am wondering if they would fit on my 89 mechinically stock kat 600.

I read The how to on fitting Post Carbs to a Pre kat. But i believe these are BST33SS carbs not the newest ones. So my questions are. Do I still leave the TPS Unpluged?(Throttle Position Sensor? I am a car guy so thats what it means to me) If i do where is this located? I contacted the seller and am waiting to find out the year. Do I need to buy intake boots for these? Or will my current ones work (89 boots).

You guys are good help and Thank you in Advance

Have found out these are 1998 carbs. Not sure if that means i need new intake boots or not, Please Help me out guys. Thanks

Comment

there's a really cool feature on most forums called search, should give it a try, this topic has been covered many times

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.
      Last edited by blitz2190; 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM.
      never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
      Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
      confused katana build

Comment

When i first put this up i did not know the year. Now that i do i can follow the what had already been put up, But still doesnt answer my one of my questions...... What is TPS?

Comment

TPS is the throttle position sensor attached to right side of the carbs. It is basically a simplistic form of mapping. Throttle > x% = ignition at x degrees. Throttle < x% = ignition at x =/- y degrees.

I don't think the pre 98's have them though.

Comment

functionally the carbs are the same you just leave the tps unplugged, now some say you need the boots some say you don't if you want no hassles follow aresnic's post about post carbs on pre bikes
            never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
            Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
            confused katana build

Comment

I have a 96 and put 98 carbs on it bc i had them laying around it takes some adjusting to get them right the big issue is the stock pre airbox is to big for the post carbs. I solved this by going to lowes picked up some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 rubber pvc inserts to take up space. On another note i got a set of pre carbs that need prings where the fuel line goes in od be willing to sell

Comment

TPS in my opinion, on certain cars, is a recipe for headaches and confusion. Not sure how they compare to the TPS on motorcycles, but I'm naturally biased against them =[
                1995 Suzuki Katana 600F
                Full D&D Exhaust

Comment

Already bought some 1998 carbs intake boots and a 1998 airbox. But thanks for the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewKatOnTheBlock View Post
                    I found this set of carbs, and am wondering if they would fit on my 89 mechinically stock kat 600.

I read The how to on fitting Post Carbs to a Pre kat. But i believe these are BST33SS carbs not the newest ones. So my questions are. Do I still leave the TPS Unpluged?(Throttle Position Sensor? I am a car guy so thats what it means to me) If i do where is this located? I contacted the seller and am waiting to find out the year. Do I need to buy intake boots for these? Or will my current ones work (89 boots).

You guys are good help and Thank you in Advance

You already stated you did, but yes... the engine boots and air box boots are/ will be different. If your bike was a 90+ model, the air box would have been the same, but the boots both sides would still need to be replaced. 88-89 use an entirely different air box.

Originally posted by TheNewKatOnTheBlock View Post
                    When i first put this up i did not know the year. Now that i do i can follow the what had already been put up, But still doesnt answer my one of my questions...... What is TPS?
                    Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                    TPS is the throttle position sensor attached to right side of the carbs. It is basically a simplistic form of mapping. Throttle > x% = ignition at x degrees. Throttle < x% = ignition at x =/- y degrees.

I don't think the pre 98's have them though.
                    Pre do not, and will not have the hook up on the harness for them, nor will the CDI have the option to read from it. Simply put, forget about it for this application. Even if you did have all the post stuff to use it, it wouldn't make a noticeable difference for your bike when running.

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
                    functionally the carbs are the same you just leave the tps unplugged, now some say you need the boots some say you don't if you want no hassles follow aresnic's post about post carbs on pre bikes
                    You need the boots, or you can back yard enjineer it.... (sp intentional) but that usually leads to problems later on, especially for the next guy when it never runs right.

Originally posted by firefighter313 View Post
                    I have a 96 and put 98 carbs on it bc i had them laying around it takes some adjusting to get them right the big issue is the stock pre airbox is to big for the post carbs. I solved this by going to lowes picked up some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 rubber pvc inserts to take up space. On another note i got a set of pre carbs that need prings where the fuel line goes in od be willing to sell
                    The air box is exactly the same for your application. The air box boots attaching to the carbs are different because the Pre carbs are oval shaped on the intake side and will be larger.... the Post carbs are round, and thus smaller over all size... for the boots where they attach to the carbs.

Originally posted by CDNbakn View Post
                    TPS in my opinion, on certain cars, is a recipe for headaches and confusion. Not sure how they compare to the TPS on motorcycles, but I'm naturally biased against them =[
                    On the Kat... they don't do enough for you to notice it working or not.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I didnt have a problem with the intake boots on mine just got some nice band clamps and they work just fine.if he has 98 airbox n n boots he should be good

Comment

Working...
                      X