X

center stand springs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• center stand springs

I got a centerstand for my 93 Katana 600. I am looking for where the springs mount to the frame. Also, it seems the crossover hits the shock mount area...is this typical?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!!

Current rides
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600
    1981 Yamaha XS1100 Special

No idea about the pre 98's - but a lot of 98+ bikes I've seen have the rubber stoppers removed from the stock exhaust stand plate. Peeps seem to think it's "messy" and don't mind the nasty clanking sound.

I've also seen centre stands ground off and the stumps left hanging on the pivot

Comment

Originally posted by dgxser View Post
      I got a centerstand for my 93 Katana 600. I am looking for where the springs mount to the frame. Also, it seems the crossover hits the shock mount area...is this typical?
      The pre kats-...

Springs does not attach to the frame. You have 4 parts...

Center stand
      2 Springs
      center stand hook.

Right side is where the bracket (center stand hook) goes on, just slips over a protruding point basically. The spring hooks to the end of the bracket. The pressure of the spring keeps the bracket on the frame mounting point.

See...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Crapo - I got one for a 1998 model. Still learning the differences I guess. Can I make this work? Where did the springs attach to the bike on the 98 version?

Current rides
        1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Crapo - I got one for a 1998 model. Still learning the differences I guess. Can I make this work? Where did the springs attach to the bike on the 98 version?

The spring hook on the pre and post are on opposite sides on the center stand. There is a thread where someone showed cutting it off and moving it to do the swap that way... modification is needed for it to work.

If I remember right, the post springs hook directly to the frame though... ...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well, I do not weld. And the springs are the same length on the one I have. What I am thinking though is if I made a bracket like the one shown for the pre-kats, only moved it to the opposite side, and made both sides the same length, if that would work.

My problem is those parts fiche give no idea of scale. So I was hoping someone might be able to take a photo of one of those brackets or give some dimension to it.

Current rides
            1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Well, I do not weld. And the springs are the same length on the one I have. What I am thinking though is if I made a bracket like the one shown for the pre-kats, only moved it to the opposite side, and made both sides the same length, if that would work.

My problem is those parts fiche give no idea of scale. So I was hoping someone might be able to take a photo of one of those brackets or give some dimension to it.
              The flaw in that plan of moving the bracket to the other side... is the pivot point the bracket hooks onto will be missing and will require welding to attach one.

It's $5.62 for the bracket. Even with shipping it's hella easier to just buy that bracket then acquire, shape, and form a bracket yourself.

If your not going to swap the center stand for the right year models, then I would suggest you go with having someone else weld on a spring catch to it on the other side... and use the OEM bracket to make it work for your frame.

Those will be the easier 2 routes.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Well, with a little more investigation, I see it is an even bigger issue of the foot "pedal" section of the later center stand hits my exhaust. So, now I see why the center stand was not on the bike. I will however, keep it with the bike, for maintenance purposes.

Current rides
                1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Well, with a little more investigation, I see it is an even bigger issue of the foot "pedal" section of the later center stand hits my exhaust. So, now I see why the center stand was not on the bike. I will however, keep it with the bike, for maintenance purposes.
                  I'm not aware of a difference there (the over all shape of the stands are nearly identical) between them, so both very well may do that based upon any abnormal bends or issues your exhaust may have. Also, there should be a stopper to prevent the center stand from going up too high to hit hard parts normally... usually on an exhaust, that the center stand rests against. If that is missing, you would perceive an issue as well with contact.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    The spring hook on the pre and post are on opposite sides on the center stand. There is a thread where someone showed cutting it off and moving it to do the swap that way... modification is needed for it to work.

If I remember right, the post springs hook directly to the frame though... ...

Krey
                    Yes post to hook directly to the frame.. I have a post stand sitting in my laundry room (could never get the kat on the stand and it was just ugly looking).

Comment

Getting it up on the stand is easy as pie!

Put bars into full lock left and hold left bar with left hand, push bike so it's absolutely vertical. Press down on centre stand with right foot and make sure both plates are on the ground.

Put right hand on the luggage rail under rear seat, as close to the front of the seat you can comfortably grip (peg in the way for some people)

Push down with right foot, lift up left foot slightly, the stand will lift the bike - push with right hand and guide with left hand.

Works every time for me - and I'm a wee guy

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                        Getting it up on the stand is easy as pie!

Put bars into full lock left and hold left bar with left hand, push bike so it's absolutely vertical. Press down on centre stand with right foot and make sure both plates are on the ground.

Put right hand on the luggage rail under rear seat, as close to the front of the seat you can comfortably grip (peg in the way for some people)

Push down with right foot, lift up left foot slightly, the stand will lift the bike - push with right hand and guide with left hand.

Works every time for me - and I'm a wee guy
                        Or... Just get a motorcycle stand kit?

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I found the part you step on was hitting my exhaust pipe instead of wrapping around it. It may be an aftermarket exhaust, I do not know as I am easily the third owner of the bike if not fourth or more. I was able to trim some off the step area to let it pass the exhaust, maybe 1/8" off the bike side of the step. That got it up high enough to give good handling clearance. since I am only planning it to be a service feature, I skipped the springs and used a thick wire tie wrap to hold it up to the mount off the exhaust where the rubber stopper would go.

So thanks again for all the advice and information.

I also installed a new tire (part of why I wanted the center stand) and new fork seals. So now when I move the bike in neutral I get a clicking sound that seems to come from the front chain sprocket area. Did I mis-install something?

Current rides
                          1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                          X