Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rain kills my kat

i have a fear of torrential downpours of rain
    problem i have had with my 1990 gsx750f
    the bike sat out in torrential rain went to start the bike up it tried to start but only managed a huge backfire so gave up and had the bike picked up and taken home.
    another time i was out and torrental rain bike lost power and ran on what seemed like 1 cylander and then cut out.
    got it started and rode home with little power very high revs at 20mph
    so anyone hazard a guess where the problem might be
    water getting in the spark plugs ...ect ect
    think this might be quite common for the pre models

Originally posted by gypsypunk View Post
    i have a fear of torrential downpours of rain
    problem i have had with my 1990 gsx750f
    the bike sat out in torrential rain went to start the bike up it tried to start but only managed a huge backfire so gave up and had the bike picked up and taken home.
    another time i was out and torrental rain bike lost power and ran on what seemed like 1 cylander and then cut out.
    got it started and rode home with little power very high revs at 20mph
    so anyone hazard a guess where the problem might be
    water getting in the spark plugs ...ect ect
    think this might be quite common for the pre models
    most likely issues..

Drain ports for the plug wells are clogged, you have bad plug wires/boots, coils are cracked, or you have a bad electrical connection on the harness.

listed in order of probability.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks kreylyn

is there anything on the market that i can buy as a upgrade or should i just buy oem and replace everything

as listed here

i am pretty sure replacing these will improve things

Comment

thanks kreylyn

is there anything on the market that i can buy as a upgrade or should i just buy oem and replace everything

as listed here

i am pretty sure replacing these will improve things
        You can get solid core copper plug wire off eBay.com for pretty cheap or even locally at an auto store if you want to replace just the wires.

NGK can supply plug boots to what ever shape you need.

If it's the coils, then primarily it's just a matter of getting ones not cracked. If you want after market, I'm sure there are a few places that sell them. Like Dynatek parts. They also offer wires and plug boots for you.

hrm... just one quick search brought this up for me... http://suzukiperformancespares.co.uk...tion-coils/28/

You are in the UK right?

Anyways, ... I can't say that the Dynatek coils/wire are better than OEM, but I certainly would be surprised to find they are any less.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          You can get solid core copper plug wire off eBay.com for pretty cheap or even locally at an auto store if you want to replace just the wires.

If it's the coils, then primarily it's just a matter of getting ones not cracked. If you want after market, I'm sure there are a few places that sell them. Like Dynatek parts. They also offer wires and plug boots for you.

hrm... just one quick search brought this up for me... http://suzukiperformancespares.co.uk...tion-coils/28/

You are in the UK right?

Anyways, ... I can't say that the Dynatek coils/wire are better than OEM, but I certainly would be surprised to find they are any less.

Krey

i have only had the air filter off once before fitting a k&n filter
          and to be honest i dont know where to look for those blocked drainage holes
          also i am a bit lost with spark plug caps to get ngk website is quite poor on motorcycles
          i have bought so far

i dont know if these will fit

does anybody know what will fit i need to get this gremlin sorted before rainy season only 50 weeks of the year in the uk

there is nothing in the suzuki manual thanks for the help katriders

Comment

i have only had the air filter off once before fitting a k&n filter
            and to be honest i dont know where to look for those blocked drainage holes
            also i am a bit lost with spark plug caps to get ngk website is quite poor on motorcycles
            i have bought so far

i dont know if these will fit

does anybody know what will fit i need to get this gremlin sorted before rainy season only 50 weeks of the year in the uk

there is nothing in the suzuki manual thanks for the help katriders
            The first one's you linked will work. The 2nd link with the angled boots won't.

The drain ports come out directly under the exhaust ports on the engine. Look for a hole about 1mm and use a piece of wire to clean them out if they need it. Alternatively, pull the plug out and look down into the plug well for the hole (easier to spot ) and push the wire through that way till you see it sticking out the front of the engine... then you know what to look for with the others as there is one for each plug well.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              The first one's you linked will work. The 2nd link with the angled boots won't.

The drain ports come out directly under the exhaust ports on the engine.
              Krey
              Hi Krey
              just a update to where i am with the water issues i replaced the spark plugs and boots and the bike is running fine in the rain
              but when left out on a heavy rainy day all day it still has a tendancy to cut out when idle

i also noticed even on dry days the when starting the bike up from cold then letting it idle there is light flicker on the mph and rev dials and a little on the
              headlight seems to go away with a rev
              any idea if this is due to the coils or the old electrical harness
              everytime i take the bike apart i am against the clock to put it back together as i use it to get to work.

even trying to get wire down the drain holes was time consuming as i had flexi wire and it drove me mad even tried my solder iron flux LOL
              next attempt will be a heavy guage guitar string
              i havent checked the coils with my multimeter yet
              but when i start the bike i have to use choke is this normal as its summer over here in the uk
              not sure about the old pre kats but does this sound normal to you or should it start on the button without choke

Comment

Carbed engines generally require choke on initial start up under 80 degrees. Over 80 in the sun they probably would not need it as much. But that is only for short starting periods... if you need choke for more than say ... 1 min or so, your probably a tad lean.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                X