Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My Kat 750's paint job... watch it happen!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you will need to use automotive grade clearcoat, rattle can clear wont cut it against gasoline. Lots of coats of auto clearcoat will protect it against gas better.

Comment

Indeed. Now, you can get 2k clears in aerosol format these days, but it's not cheap and to be honest I have no experience with the products. Might be worth a shot anyway. Here's a link to R-M's 2k spray can clear. R-M is good stuff, I'd trust this product.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/aeromax.html

Let me stress I would only do this if no other option is available. If you have access to an air compressor, buying a Harbor Freight gun is a better investment.
      Originally posted by katanawarrior
      I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

ill be following your progress .just finished painting my bike...post photos later...good luck

Comment

*** 03/08/2009 ***

Update finally!

My picture server has been down for upgrades for the last couple of weeks, so I've neglected to take pictures. Nevertheless, I've been making progress and my picture server is back up, so here we go!

Here is the LH fairing after the initial sanding (removal of decals and paint damage) As you can see, it's in much better shape than the RH was.

One of three cracks:

The second of three (above the petcock)

RH lower cowling (not the best shape, but easily salvageable)

Close up of same

Ah, the completed RH fairing. Epoxy (etching) primer sprayed on where necessary and ready for high build primer.

Closer shot of the end result of my damage repair. It came out pretty good in the end.

This is the after shot of that major crack repair on the RH fairing (mirror mount area):

Third of three cracks on the LH fairing - at least there's some plastic left to work with on this side. It's reinforced with ABS from behind and dug out and filled with epoxy.

Some of the other pieces that are in etching primer ready for the high build:

All I have left to prep is the tank which doesn't require any repairs and the RH rear frame cover, which also doesn't require repairs. I think I'll have everything in high build primer by the end of the week hopefully.
          Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:52 PM.
          My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Nice! Still anxiously awaiting color...

Comment

Originally posted by Shifty View Post
              Nice! Still anxiously awaiting color...
              I know... me too! I'll be shooting the high build primer on Wednesday night probably and I'll be back to sanding on the weekend.

Few more...

One more piece to smooth out and they're all ready for primer!
              Last edited by Dexter; 07-10-2011, 08:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

sigpic

Comment

Lookin good bro!

Comment

Well I'm ahead of schedule. Every single piece is fully primed and ready for the next round of sanding. I've never sprayed primer out of a gravity fed HVLP gun before... it took longer but it was a lot easier to control.

sigpic

Comment

Looking good !! So will there be a post paint party to celebrate your achievement with free beer and scantly clad women?
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

nice make it gsxr blue

Comment

What product did you end up using to repair the cracks in the plastic? And where did you get it? I'm working on a similar project now.
                        Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

is that beer on the table?

nothinglike cold beer while working on the bike
                          I want a Busa...

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

(In Indiana for now)

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                            Looking good !! So will there be a post paint party to celebrate your achievement with free beer and scantly clad women?
                            Beer yes, but I don't think the wife will agree to the scantly clad women.

Originally posted by ICEG View Post
                            nice make it gsxr blue
                            Red is faster.

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
                            What product did you end up using to repair the cracks in the plastic? And where did you get it? I'm working on a similar project now.
                            I used a combination of products. I reinforced most of the cracks from behind by digging down a little bit and filling with ABS cement for plumbing pipes and layering pieces of 0.030" ABS sheet over the area. In the front side of the cracks, I dug them out and filled with regular 5min Permatex epoxy. I could have used the plastic weld, but the method I used worked really great. My repaired areas are super strong, but still flexible. To finish the areas, I used Evercoat Polyflex body filler (made for repairing plastic bumpers). It cures somewhat flexible as well and bonds well to the bare plastic.

I would recommend this combination of products and methods to anyone doing repairs to their fairings.

Originally posted by chandler213 View Post
                            is that beer on the table? nothinglike cold beer while working on the bike
                            Damn right! I work better with beer, plus it stayes cold while working in the shed during the winter.

So I've done the primer, now all I have to do is sand and paint. I talked to my old boss at the bodyshop today and it looks like he's going to let me spray it in his booth, so I won't have to make one myself. I'll also have him there to guide me through the process if I have any questions.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post

So I've done the primer, now all I have to do is sand and paint. I talked to my old boss at the bodyshop today and it looks like he's going to let me spray it in his booth, so I won't have to make one myself. I'll also have him there to guide me through the process if I have any questions.
                              You may want to consider using a primer sealer. Would suck to go through this trouble and have your repaired areas bleed through.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                                You may want to consider using a primer sealer. Would suck to go through this trouble and have your repaired areas bleed through.
                                +1

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                                X