No announcement yet.
X

The start of my plasti dip project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok here are some updated pics, everything is matte black I didnt clean the windscreen off yet, and I need a new one. HAHA
    Attached Files
    99 Katana 600

Comment

Well I laid my bike down monday morning, but I have the fairings off, and I am touching up and starting the white today.
      99 Katana 600

Comment

heres the next pic. The white didn't turn out like I hoped, I may be doing it over again.
        Attached Files
        99 Katana 600

Comment

It sounds like everyone involved in this thread has used plasti dip in the past. Ive never used it. All I know is what Ive seen in the pictures provided. With that being said, I dont get what the benefit of plastic dip is. Your covering a nice clear coated red finish with a matte finish, rough texture, black. What's the advantage? Why cover what was a nice paitjob with this stuff. Im not criticizing, just curious as someone who hasnt used it before.

Comment

+1111 I don't get it ,,whats wrong with a nice candy paint over a base color and then shoot some clear over it. It may take a lot more prep time
            but the results are worth it.!!1!
            Attached Files

Comment

I did it simply to try. There was some fading in the red, AND Then i laid my bike down and messed up the right hand fairing, so the paint got jacked anyway. Some people prefer matte black over shiny colors. I would personally like an awesome pearl white color.
              99 Katana 600

Comment

The difference is in time and skill needed to lay a good looking coat. With plastidip it's quite easy to do it right after watching few YT videos and little practice. Also matte color and texture hides imperfections caused by inexperienced painter and environment without dust filters. To make sweet looking candy red pieces you need skill and experience together with proper tools, controlled environment and lots of work hours. With plastidip you just need some prep time and fairly steady hand. Output is maybe not so spectacular like candy red, but some like matte black on bikes

Comment

very true mike.kir plasti dip is very forgiving.
                  99 Katana 600

Comment

Plus if you don't like it, you can just take it off!
                    sigpic
                    Oh Lord Jesus it's a fire!

Comment

Very interesting look. Good luck with the finished product!

Comment

Ok Here is the bike 98% finished. I like the outcome. I need a new signal up front, and a new wind screen. Also the signal generator cover is coming on wednesday i believe.
                        Attached Files
                        99 Katana 600

Comment

I like it, specially how it looks from the front.
                          http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

Thank you, I'm wondering if I should do more in white or no. I was originally thinking the tail fairing and lower cowl, and part of the gas tank white. Kind of like a black racing stripe down the center.
                            99 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by JSMencer View Post
                              Thank you, I'm wondering if I should do more in white or no. I was originally thinking the tail fairing and lower cowl, and part of the gas tank white. Kind of like a black racing stripe down the center.
                              I would do the tail in white and keep the grab bar and lower cowl black. Just enough black accents. Not sure about the race stripe on the tank.
                              http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

keep the tank black?
                                99 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X