X

My Winter Project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Winter Project

I'm going to sand down and fix all marks and re-paint my bike this winter so I decided to make a thread on it. I am also going to do a few things to it. I will probably take a few pics with my phone along the way just because...

The way she was:

The way it's sitting now:

Marks in it from someone not straping it in trailer properly, some people are............ Well you get it.

I have sanded down most pieces now and fix most of the cracks/gauges with plastic repair and filler. Have a bit more to finish up then just about ready to start painting.

Rear fairing strap marks half fixed.

This was a fairly bad crack, not visable part of the bike but still going to fix it. fixed up a bit in this pic.

There were holes here from 2 of the rear signals I decided to not use, because I have more lowering on rear fairing and intergraded in the tail light.

I have a question about my right fairing. There is a spot that looks like its melted or something, but a buddy who had a red 01 katana has the same thing from what I remember. Is this suppose to be there?? Should I bother trying to fix it before paint??
    ]Here's a pic:

Those pics are not the newest of filler and everything.

Some new stuff I have include:
    -New tail light with signals.

-New front signal lights.

-New grips and bar ends.

LED's I will be using.

One of the paint colours.

Some other things I'm doing/have done this winter to be ready for spring.
    -K&N Air filter.
    -New spark plugs.
    -Oil and filter change.
    -Valve adjustment.
    -Hopefully getting frame sliders to protect my new paint job from BRAUNSTIEN82, maybe new chain and sprockets from him as well.
    Last edited by Chris438; 01-29-2011, 06:33 PM.
    My Bike/Project:
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114782

So, no one can tell me what the "melted" spot on my fairing is about.... If it is suppose to be there or not??

Originally posted by Chris438 View Post

I have a question about my right fairing. There is a spot that looks like its melted or something, but a buddy who had a red 01 katana has the same thing from what I remember. Is this suppose to be there?? Should I bother trying to fix it before paint??
    Here's a pic:

My Bike/Project:

Comment

It is not supposed to be there.

It happened when the bike was layed down on it's right side (other damage you see) and the weight pressed the fairing against the hot engine. ABS plastic will soften at around 400 degrees, and can be deformed like that, then hold shape once it cools.

You can also heat it back up with a heat gun and "work" it back into the correct shape. Just go very slowly with the heat to bring it up to temp so as not to burn the surface.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, thanks a lot.

I was thinking something like that just wasnt sure because a friends was the same. Mine was in a trailer strapped down improperly and leaning against something for a good 100 miles after it was run, just before I got it. So makes sense. But I did get it for cheaper because of that.

I'll probably try to fix it before paint tho. Thanks!
        My Bike/Project:

Comment

do you know how much the frame sliders, chain and sprocket will run you from BRAUNSTIEN82? Is that just black your painting your bike?

Comment

Originally posted by kfreeman View Post
            do you know how much the frame sliders, chain and sprocket will run you from BRAUNSTIEN82? Is that just black your painting your bike?

I'm not sure total cost yet. Ive only talked to him about the sliders so far. But all you have to do is PM him, here on the forums I'm sure he will let you know as he did me.
            BRAUNSTEIN82 - http://katriders.com/vb/member.php?u=1055

And no its not just black. Its a dark, pearl teal colour paint (basecoat/clearcoat).

I am also doing something else with the paint job so it's not just one straight colour. I think I'll keep it as a "surprise" from everyone till I'm done tho hopefully it works out the way I see it in my head lol..

If not... I'll still post pics. Hopefully turns out good either way tho. Ill be spraying it pretty soon now. Just have to find the time to finish up the prep work.
            My Bike/Project:

Comment

Ok, so I finished the body work and primed pieces yesturday. The gf likes the colour of the primer :S lol...

First coat, primer.

This was the melted spot
              Last edited by Chris438; 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              My Bike/Project:

Comment

Lookin good
                Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Subscribed, I like the color you have picked out. I'm not really a fan of yellow, i think it attracts the eye of the law too much.
                  "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

do yourself a favor and stick with the OEM air filter.
                    the K&N will require re-jetting

the body work looks great !
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
                      Lookin good
                      Thanks, I hope my painting will look nice to. I'd hate to mess up this paint. Will get expensive if I F it up.

Originally posted by 1FSTKAT View Post
                      Subscribed, I like the color you have picked out. I'm not really a fan of yellow, i think it attracts the eye of the law too much.
                      I don't really like yellow anything. lol.. Got the bike because it was the right price at the right time. And yeah very true, cops def notice me (the loud *** pipe doesnt help tho). :S
                      Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                      do yourself a favor and stick with the OEM air filter.
                      the K&N will require re-jetting

the body work looks great !
                      Yeah, the K&N has been in it since about, August, I think. Jetting has been done, and bike is running smoothly thanks a lot for the warning tho . And thanks for the compliment on the body work. Your post helped me.
                      Last edited by Chris438; 01-28-2011, 05:13 PM.
                      My Bike/Project:

Comment

I'm subscribed. Nice job so far dude.
                        'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
                        ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
                        ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

Ok, what do you guys think about this......

I've got all my pieces primed and sanded pretty much ready for paint. I am not very experienced with painting but would be proud of my work if I did it myself. And would love to say "ya, I did this" when its done.
                          I have the paint and clear coat and everything already. I know I can do it, the problem is I only have a small area to paint them in, probably about 12x14' an old garage. With a small exhaust fan.
                          It was fairly hard to keep over spray from going on my parts while painting primer. I wasn't to concerned with just primer. But I could try a little harder to keep over spray from other parts after they're painted maybe try my best :S.
                          Anyways, this is what I was going to ask what you guys thought.
                          My dad has a friend who is a painter for a living. He said he will spray the primer sealer, base coat (pearl), and clear coat and maybe even add some more pearl to the paint. He said $300 to do this. He said he will also buff out anything if it needs it after clear.

Do you think I should get him to do it? (funds are pretty tight right now)

Or should I risk it myself and do it and see how it turns out?
                          If I mess it up, sand down my paint that i mess up. Then another $75 for another quart of paint plus give him $300 to paint it??
                          Last edited by Chris438; 02-04-2011, 08:47 PM.
                          My Bike/Project:

Comment

Paint

$300 is not a bad price if he will guarantee his work. However, there is pride in doing something yourself. It is not difficult and you have already done the hard work. Give it a try yourself and just take your time. Do not spray too thick because you will assuredly drip or run. You can definately do it by what I have seen you post so far.

Jeff

Comment

Looks Great

And i have no experience painting but messing up builds experience and helps you learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X