Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New cyclist - VERY new (and pretty pathetic :-P) - Hoping to find some friends here..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome. I'm super new too and yup, came from a family of medical practitioners and they're not at all happy with my new bike.

I took the course. I'm still super nervous when I get out there but I think the nervousness also is a good thing, keeping me humble and thinking hard in advance of what is coming up next. When I drive my car, I visualize the whole ride as if it were my bike and run through upshifting, downshifting, coming to a stop, checking my mirrors, my best line, the lane I should be in and my position in that lane, hazards etc. I believe visualization helps huge from my days of racing giant slalom. It's nearly as good as being able to physically practice.

The very first thing we worked on in the course was clutch control. If I read you correctly, you're risking a stall by not giving it enough throttle. Practice in a straight line with your feet down/out for balance giving it gas and controlling the bike's speed with the clutch - letting it in and out of the friction zone. In the course, we'd do lap after lap (literally an entire day) of the figure 8s and low speed manoeuvers entirely in first gear using just clutch and throttle. Rev it too high and let the clutch out to fast and it gets ugly. If you panic, pull in the clutch.

But find the course and stay off the bike until you have. I'd hate to hear you've gotten hurt and given those relatives more fuel for their motorcycle statistics chats...
    Last edited by **Laura**; 05-03-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Welcome to KR
      THE DOC
      RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
      Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
      mistake when you make it again.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by **Laura** View Post
        ... I believe visualization helps huge from my days of racing giant slalom...

*shameless thread hijack forthcoming*

More on this, please. Sounds cool!
        sigpic

Comment

I googled "visualization in sports, ski" and found some articles. This one explains it well in terms of sports psychology and the prevalence of it in pro-sport.
          Suite101 helps you discover home ideas, DIY crafts, gardening, food, style inspiration, how-tos and other ideas to make your life better.

But I was nowhere near pro. I crashed in my last year of highschool (didn't really visualize that part...) and didn't race after that due to knee damage. I wasn't actually planning on skiing or snowboarding again until I got desperate for a co-op job while at the University of Waterloo so I took a job as a ski instructor... forcing myself to "get back on the horse". (That and the liquid courage got me back into the sport). Watching the Olympics, I wish I'd made more of it...
          Last edited by **Laura**; 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by **Laura** View Post
            I googled "visualization in sports, ski" and found some articles. This one explains it well in terms of sports psychology and the prevalence of it in pro-sport.
            Suite101 helps you discover home ideas, DIY crafts, gardening, food, style inspiration, how-tos and other ideas to make your life better.

But I was nowhere near pro. I crashed in my last year of highschool (didn't really visualize that part...) and didn't race after that due to knee damage. I wasn't actually planning on skiing or snowboarding again until I got desperate for a co-op job while at the University of Waterloo so I took a job as a ski instructor... forcing myself to "get back on the horse". (That and the liquid courage got me back into the sport). Watching the Olympics, I wish I'd made more of it...

ANYTHING on skis is way cool to me!
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the KR family! First order of business....get gear...period. Any damage to a bike can be repaired, but what damage we do to ourselves can't always be "fixed". BTW your's is a simple enough fix, trust me, I've been there. If it's any consolation, most of us on KR have probably dumped our bikes more than we care to remember. It's all good......but do take the safety course.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

1. GET A HELMET! If it's about money then borrow one while you're practicing in the parking lot but don't get on a bike without one. if you're even thinking about it, ask your folks how much damage you can do to your brain by just falling over while standing still. There's been too much brain damage out there and if you're going to RIT then you need every brain cell you can get.

2. Don't wait until after you've got your license to take the MSF course. Matter of fact, most states will accept a certificate from the MSF in lieu of the riding portion of the exam. The class is that good.

3. If you absolutely must play with the bike before you take an MSF course then strap on a helmet and practice starts and stops. Staying in first gear, bring the RPMs to about 2000 and slowly let out the clutch. Keep the RPMs around 2000 and feather the clutch out, feeling for the point where the engine just barely starts to move the bike (the friction zone). As soon as you've started moving then pull the clutch all the way in and brake to a stop, putting your left foot down as the wheels stop turning. Do it over and over until you get really smooth and can do it all in a straight line without wobbling.

4. When you get really good at 3, try going from one end of the parking lot to the other as slow as possible without touching the ground with your feet. Again, keep the RPMs around 2000 and feather the clutch, keeping it in the friction zone. Don't worry about burning up the clutch. A motorcycle clutch is completely different from a car's. You won't kill it like this.

You'll notice neither of these exercises involves going faster than a walk. Riding slowly is much harder than going fast so that's where the MSF course focuses. Take the class and when you're done you'll be a lot safer and more confident in your skills.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I say just get on it and go!!
                  Welcome to the site!
                  Edit: posted before reading everything...
                  I just bought a HJC CL-15 for $75. Dot & Snell Rated with a cool graphic. I would suggested looking for the cl15 because they are discontinued and should be on discount.
                  BE SAFE & don't ride unless you're legal!
                  Last edited by 600toStart; 05-03-2010, 08:55 PM.
                  I invite you to church.

Comment

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      ?
                      I invite you to church.

Comment

Originally posted by 600toStart View Post
                        I say just get on it and go!!
                        That's a BS meter and it's pegged. In other words, I think your advice to the OP is pretty poor.

Just getting on a bike and going is a good way to end up a statistic. There are so many variables involved with riding that you have no control over. It doesn't make sense to not control the ones you can, like gear and education. Why would you encourage someone (even joking) to put themselves out there without every possible advantage?
                        Last edited by Wild-Bill; 05-03-2010, 09:56 PM.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          That's a BS meter and it's pegged. In other words, I think your advice to the OP is pretty poor.

Just getting on a bike and going is a good way to end up a statistic. There are so many variables involved with riding that you have no control over. It doesn't make sense to not control the ones you can, like gear and education. Why would you encourage someone (even joking) to put themselves out there without every possible advantage?
                          I said that before I read his entire post. I do not encourage riding without a helmet or permit/license. I agree with you. Sorry if I was giving bad advice.
                          I invite you to church.

Comment

hey, i am new to this forum also. but, i do have a back ground and experience riding for many years. its just that this is my first year riding on the roads legally and on a sports bike. i read alot of good advice so far on this post. defenatly think about your safety first. as for riding, nothing really comes natural. it does take practice. the bike will move and turn in ways that may not feel natural to you at first. its becouse the center of gravity is so high in the chases. but the wheels also act like gyroscopes. essentually, the faster you go, the cyntrifical force keeps you from falling over.(ahmm, more or less) one thing to always remember though, always keep your head up.when you look down, youll probably GO down. keep looking through the turns, corners,anticipate obsticles and dangers. and another thing that helps.... sit on your bike(with out the engine running) and memorize all the controls with out looking at them. the better you can manipulate the controls with out looking at them, the better it helps your handling the bike. and as every one has said prior.... an msc is always a good idea. an msc teaches throttle, clutch and break control. one thing very important to learn is proper breaking. i hope my two cents helps. oh, and once you start riding..... theres no going back! lol
                            Last edited by ~Btech~; 05-04-2010, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Greg!
                                That Kat is mint!! WOW..
                                Please, if you don't take a class take off those plastics! We don't see too many Kats in that shape. And we see a lot of Kats.

If you don't take the MSF, look and see if there is a community college that does a class.
                                Most of the classes provide a bike (I think MSF usually does too.) that is a good thing because I guy like you isn't likely to drop a 250. The big mistake you made Saturday was that you tried some low speed turns without having good clutch control. Good clutch control is vital under 30 MPH or in a small area..
                                Discover the excitement of riding through motorcycle safety courses designed for riders of all levels. From perfecting the basics of balance and handling to maneuvers and defensive riding strategies, our courses teach the essential skills needed to navigate the road with confidence.

Mainkan slot pragmatic play lewat situs Pragmatic76. Daftar slot demo pragmatic play gratis dan demo slot pragmatic dengan aman melalui halaman slot online terpercaya kami.

Here are a few classes in your area,. Most of these classes pretty much guaranty you will pass your license test.

Good luck and welcome to Katriders.

Comment

Working...
                                X