• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't laugh OR hate

Ok, here she is . . .
    1993 Katana 600F; originally red; 13,000K

Who needs to spend money on a lift???
    And do you like how I called it a "workspace"? This shop doubles as a greenhouse in summer. That is why there's bags of manure packed around the front wheel. (I'm seeing just how many jokes you people can crack on me)

As you can see, it's time to start the hard work. The shot headers/midpipe can be seen in pic 4, but I've read that it IS ok to replace all but the can. With some cleaning the can will look good as new (pic6). But will it sound the same??? I'm a D&D fan. I actually didn't know until a couple of days ago that this was even a full system; figured the previously owner just slapped on that can - oh well.

Pic5 is the swing arm underside. Can this piece be salvaged? Is there some litmus test for how bad rust is? Can I keep this part, so long as I clean it and treat it? Is Rustoleum a good product to use on bike parts?

Thank you to everyone for the welcome and all the tips. As Krey mentioned, Cruso is a PRIME riding locale. So, let's hope with some hard work I'll be road worthy come Spring.
    Attached Files

Comment

Kreylyn, help the woman out! This is another potential riding girlfriend for Krayman and I!
      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
        Kreylyn, help the woman out! This is another potential riding girlfriend for Krayman and I!

Welcome to KR. Kreylyn should be able to help you a lot! Good to have other chicks in the area & on the site that ride.

Comment

Welcome to KR.
          Rust don't look bad on swinger from pics, I'd just sand blast it, hit with some etching primer and paint it, but if you are not that equipped, hit it with a wire wheel on a angle grinder / drill and Rustolem it. Clean up header in same fashion and spray it with some VHT high temp.
          As for parts, I got everything I needed to bring my baby back to life from members on KR or ebay.
          And don't be afraid of plastic work, it's not hard at all and I have found that the plastics are almost the most expensive parts you can replace even at used prices.

Cheers,
          Dave
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I agree the swingarm and header both look salvagable. Looks like it's time for new dust seals on the forks too, might as well do the fork oil seals that are underneath them if you have to pull the forks anyways.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR
              The supreme happiness of life is the conviction of being loved for yourself, or, more correctly, being loved in spite of yourself.
              http://myspace.com/solsticio
              www.facebook.com/solsticios

Comment

That swingarm looks great for it's age. Compared to alot of them I see when doing the widened swingarm mod, they are much worse off. That's just surface rust, and really has had no serious effect on the structure of the swingarm. It's there because the stock position for the battery overflow tube puts it right on top of that point of the swingarm. Most Pre Kats will have at least that, if not alot more rust there.

Remove the rust, throw some paint on there and your all set. There are a couple of ways to remove the rust. Wire wheel works. I prefer medium blasting if possible (takes off the paint as well, and leaves a great ready to be painted surface). A chemical option can be used as well.

I'd blast it, prime it, paint it. Rustoleum is fine, try to use the "automotive" versions of the Rustoleum offerings. They are generally formulated to be a little more protective for outside metal parts.

Powdercoat is probably the best option for paint if you can spare the funds. A PC shop will take care of the medium blasting prior to the PC being applied, and it's really tough and resistant to future chiping or battery drippings.

Header looks fine too from what I could see. If there are no holes in it, remove the rust and paint it as well. Be sure the paint you use for that is high temp paint rated for 1200 degrees. If you have a couple of small holes... I know someone who can get them welded/filled for you. Probably alot cheaper than replacing... unless you want to replace with stainless or something.

The Can may need to be repacked. Most packing burns off over time and the can becomes louder when that happens. Packing isn't ussually that expensive. You would have to drill out the rivits in the end of the can to do this. Not hard to do really.

I'm surprised your not using the greenhouse for winter greens.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ahhh, the journey of a thousand miles... Take your time, deal with the issues one at a time and you'll be fine. Looks like you got some good support in the area to help you through the rough spots.

Don't be afraid to ask the "stupid" questions...

My opinion: Once you get her running (or do women call their bikes "him", I don't know), mechanicals first - anything that moves or is necessary to save your butt (brakes, tires, oils, fluids, seals, chains, sprockets, etc.) should be checked and/or replaced; then body.

Welcome to the family!
                  Last edited by VifferJim; 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM.
                  "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by VifferJim View Post
                    ...(or do women call their bikes "him", I don't know)...

It's a "him" according to Enjay
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                      It's a "him" according to Enjay
                      i think Slim's is a boy too.
                      the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                      # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                      [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post

Chocolate-covered, too.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post
                          Mine's a girl ... baby girl
                          Guylaine
                          Try and keep up now

Comment

Advice: (As already posted)

Take ONE piece as ONE project at a time. It's WAAAY Too easy to get overwhelmed looking at a floor full of parts and wondering what the heck happened.

Might be easier to start simple. For example...

Swingarm - Since it's out..start there. Sand it down. Paying attention to any spots that are pitted with heavier rust. Prime and paint it.

Do the same for all the rear suspension pieces, paying attention to keep paint out of the bearings. Then clean out the bearing points and add new grease.

I've seen A LOT worse.

Don't feel bad here's what mine has looked like several times during my ownership

After nice little get off (right after paint job too)

During my 750 swap

During my first tear down for maintenance and triage

My swingarm when I took it out

After some sanding and some paint

HTH

Comment

We're a pretty friendly lot. If the animals get out of control let one of us know and we'll rattle the cages a little.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                                We're a pretty friendly lot. If the animals get out of control let one of us know and we'll rattle the cages a little.

woooooooooo I ain't that bad !!!
                                Guylaine
                                Try and keep up now

Comment

Working...
                                X