Disconnecting the fan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now we know...
    Katana's created global warming!!!!

I'm new here and just bought an old 91 750 with only 14K miles on it. This fan info is great! gonna disconnect today and go out and ruin the enviroment!!!!

Comment

First to go

I didn't know about that damn fan until six months ago. I couldn't figure out why there was a stupid molex connection to nothing. I went nuts looking for the plug for that damn thing until I found it was a cali-only smog thing...
      Screw whales, Save the titties!

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
        carb fan...cali model only. runs after the bike is turned off to cool the fuel for enviromental reasons. go ahead and disconnect that bad boy.

Cali.. ...Next you'll have to put a bag over the exhuast to catch

the pollution.......

Cali....
        Don't Chase Um...Replace Um...

No It's Not Stolen...But That's How I Ride It...

Comment

The upside is that the molex connector for the thermostatic controller for the fan (controller sits by the right front edge of the valve covers, just outside the frame on the 98+) is a great place to tap an ignition-sensitive power lead off of to run extra lights or gauges. Just put a spade-terminal on the wire and plug it in -- poof, ignition-sensitive power source.
          One word of warning about that molex connector: don't use the ground wires on the molex to power anything voltage-sensitive (like gauges); it's not a "pure" ground and won't give you a perfect 0.0 volts if compared to the negative terminal of the battery.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            The upside is that the molex connector for the thermostatic controller for the fan (controller sits by the right front edge of the valve covers, just outside the frame on the 98+) is a great place to tap an ignition-sensitive power lead off of to run extra lights or gauges. Just put a spade-terminal on the wire and plug it in -- poof, ignition-sensitive power source.
            Cool. Now I know what those connectors are called and what I can use it for if necessary. That is, if I run out of room on my upgraded 12 circuit fuse block.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
              Cool. Now I know what those connectors are called and what I can use it for if necessary. That is, if I run out of room on my upgraded 12 circuit fuse block.
              I used it originally to power my gauges, then when I moved to a full fuse block, I used it to power the ignition sensor circuit & relay on the fuse block (which is a cool bit of switching -- if the circuit goes active, it shuts down a second circuit that leads the battery charger input down to the battery, so forgetting to disconnect the battery charger won't damage it).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was one of those who was having problems w/ the carb fan draining the battery...I unplugged it and haven't had a problem since ...Thanks Cyber for the tip
                ^_^

Comment

Your welcome.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This is so cool, I have been checking all over the internet looking for some info on this exact issue. I am in California so that explains why the stupid fan stays on after you turn off the bike, I have another scenario as well. I have turned the key on just to unlock the front wheel and move the bike and the fan has come on. Anyway what would be the easiest way to disconnect the fan? Can I just pull a fuse, or does the fuse control more than just the fan?

Comment

BTW - in cali as motorcycles are omitted from smog inspections all together you can effectively replace anything except the engine block and frame without any reprocussions from DMV - The bike will never be inspected for this type of functionality in ANY situation.
                      97 Katana 600
                      [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

ok so how do I disconnect the stupid thing, this buying a new battery every 6 months is getting annoying

Comment

The best way to disconnect it is to remove the left side fairing, locate the fan, follow the lead coming off the fan and unplug it. Alternatively, you can remove the right side fairing and locate the thermal controller which sits just barely behind the steering head (on the outside of the frame above the front right corner of the valve covers) and disconnect that. Or both.

Whether you choose to remove the actual equipment or not is your choice (*not including any legal ramifications*). A full conversion to a 49-state model would include pulling the fan, the thermal controller, the excess plumbing for the vacuum and fuel-bowls, the pair valve & air filter for the pair valve, the charcoal cannister (and all the hoses leading to it), and getting block-off plates for the lines that exit the engine directly below each of the exhaust headers. Although this may seem overly ambitious, when problems later surface with tuning, having a 49-state "standard" Kat eliminates a ton of potential issues that are unique to the California model.

PS - the block-off plates can often be found on eBay for under $30.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

There were times when I'd go to start up my bike, but the battery didn't have enough juice to start up, but yet the fan would kick on while I was trying to start it

Originally posted by kevinco
                            This is so cool, I have been checking all over the internet looking for some info on this exact issue. I am in California so that explains why the stupid fan stays on after you turn off the bike, I have another scenario as well. I have turned the key on just to unlock the front wheel and move the bike and the fan has come on. Anyway what would be the easiest way to disconnect the fan? Can I just pull a fuse, or does the fuse control more than just the fan?
                            ^_^

Comment

If the fan kicks on without having run the bike recently, then either the bike was parked out in the direct sunlight (really hot under the fairings), or the thermister (thermostat) is bad. Either way, I'd simply disconnect it.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X