Major Props to the 'Poet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Props to the 'Poet

Hola KR.
    I want to send a Huge thanks to Cyberpoet for his help in getting my first valve adjustment done. I went bonzai on taking off the Plastics. tank and etc etc. before we go there, which made the job a little easier.
    CP shows up and observes the mess i made. I was using my Mis-mashed toolsets from hell (and Broke yet another 12mm socket before he got there- i think that makes three or four gone since i bought the 1200 special) CP shook his head and we drove down to the Local Sears. I was not expecting him to spring for a 168 craftmans set, (which i am paypaling him back on) we head back to the house.
    after assembling the tool kit, i amde an obersvation that in the almost 12000 miles life of this kat, there were no tool marks on the valve cover, or on the crankshaft bolt where we turned the engine. which means i got hosed on a valve adjustment about 2 years ago by the dealership (yeah these clowns are off my list for even buying a bike from them now) CP instructs me on how to start the adjustment process. he looking over my shoulder while i do the adjusting- a couple questions later and shes ready for her sync. Back to the Auto parts store for some Fuel line. We get her synced (which i suggest now when doing a exhaust change).
    After we got her unhooked from the sync Mark packed down and was heading home, I thanked him heavily for the knowledge and the tools.
    Now its a day later (i was dead as a doornail yesterday) and Im putting her back together to take her out for a run- check back here in later for my post rider comments
    But again, Thank you CP. If it wasnt for you I would not have the Knowledge i have now. Barring a entire engine going Ka-boom, My Cycles never see a dealership again. Huge Props to ya

Nice write up Rod. Credit where credit is due. Did you get the Martha Stewart designer tool bag along with the Craftsman tool set? the one that doubles as a douvet cover?

I've started believing every good well set up shop should have a bar fridge with a variety liquid refreshments inside. Maybe this Sunday whomever makes it here from the MN area can help figgure out where i can fit one in my mess of a single car garage. (I have 5 bikes in there now, 6 if you count the dissasembled Yami PW-50. I told the wife i could prolly fit 2 more in. I woke up 10 minutes later with a cast iron skillet sized knot on my noggin)

I gotta ask tho, how the heck did ya break a 12mm socket removing the fairings ?!?!?!?!?
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

i wish i had a CP that lived by me

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
        yea me to , hey cp what are the odds of you moving to central pa ,lol
        BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by Rodimus View Post
          I want to send a Huge thanks to Cyberpoet for his help in getting my first valve adjustment done.
          You're welcome

CP shook his head and we drove down to the Local Sears. I was not expecting him to spring for a 168 craftmans set, (which i am paypaling him back on) we head back to the house.
          (A) it was the 190 piece craftsman mechanics tool-set (look at the box -- they were out of stock on the 168 piece one, remember?) AND a 20-piece craftsman screwdriver set. BTW, I checked their website today, and the 190 piece is no longer offered. You got lucky, because that's a great box compared to their new offerings at the same general price-level. I love the latch-lid interior thing compared to the solution on my old 169-piecer.

(B) I didn't ask you to pay for it, and if you want to pay me back, that's your choice, but it's strictly up to you. You, more than anyone else I know of, desperately needed a good set of mech tools (two bikes strewn in parts about the garage, plus parts of a third) and wasn't about to buy them.

PS - do me a favor, before you spend any $$ on additional tools, always call me for a best-source. You way over-paid on those T-handle allen keys ($30 - ouch!). Oh, and you still need a 6 & 8mm allen-key socket in a 3/8" drive, plus either a beam-style torque wrench or a micro-torque wrench

after assembling the tool kit, i made an observation -- that in the almost 12000 miles life of this kat, there were no tool marks on the valve cover, or on the crankshaft bolt where we turned the engine. which means i got hosed on a valve adjustment about 2 years ago by the dealership (yeah these clowns are off my list for even buying a bike from them now)
          But the oil-passage banjo bolts were definitely in tighter than OEM and most of the clearances were so perfectly within spec, something I would never expect if no previous clearance adjustment had ever been done... Someone did it at least once in the past 5k miles (my best guess: the 7500 service was done right).

CP instructs me on how to start the adjustment process. he looking over my shoulder while i do the adjusting- a couple questions later
          (and a couple hours in the heat)

and shes ready for her sync. Back to the Auto parts store for some Fuel line.
          To rig a make-shift fuel source for the sync procedure with a small gas can and a ladder.

. We get her synced (which i suggest now when doing a exhaust change).
          After we got her unhooked from the sync Mark
          CP will be fine. If you're going to use my given name, spell it right -- with a "c"

packed down and was heading home, I thanked him heavily for the knowledge and the tools.
          Now its a day later (i was dead as a doornail yesterday) and Im putting her back together to take her out for a run- check back here in later for my post rider comments
          Waiting to hear how it rides (if it rides any differently).
          Remember: we didn't do the oil change -- and it needs it.

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
          You've got an Arsenic not that far off... And he actually gets his hands really dirty (I tend to stand around and instruct, making you do 99% of all the work).

Originally posted by redskins888 View Post
          yea me to , hey cp what are the odds of you moving to central pa ,lol
          Low. But I have a niece moving there in a week or two, so the odds of me visiting have just improved dramatically.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cant Ride it right now- I got a leak coming from the signal generator cover- got a spare gasket hanging around?

But she is running and in one piece...
            Last edited by Sundowner; 08-18-2008, 08:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

No, but you do -- grab the cover off the 750 (I replaced that one when I first got it, I think).
              Or add a bit more RTV (wish they hadn't used it previously, and you wouldn't have the issue).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Last edited by The CyberPoet; 08-18-2008, 10:28 PM.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CP, you "teach" people how to do things, I can't do that. I find it way easier just to do it

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                  No, but you do -- grab the cover off the 750.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  I might just do that tomorrow afternoon...
                  I spent the afternoon "Organizing half of the garage"
                  For the other half- i need to seriously drop a Home Depot Dumpster in the driveway and play my own version of "How the grinch stole Christmas"

PS - do me a favor, before you spend any $$ on additional tools, always call me for a best-source. You way over-paid on those T-handle allen keys ($30 - ouch!). Oh, and you still need a 6 & 8mm allen-key socket in a 3/8" drive, plus either a beam-style torque wrench or a micro-torque wrench

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Will do boss- there's a lot on my mind right now: Tools, the med kit in the other post, the other Kat- ya know stuff. I got to hit up Sears.com to see if they have a roll out type sleeve for the Screwdriver set (so it stows away nicely in the Big Plastic Box). I Also went thru a major portion of the tools in the garage in general I tossed a bunch of that Taiwan made crap out (Mostly sockets- the rest of the ones i broke) and got them organized- I know there is a Universal Joint in 1/4 drive somewhere in that garage, I know i want to add them in the sizes of the primary drives and add them to the tool set. I ditched my Open Red bay Tool box to a retired Fishing Tackle box (the tan one you saw in the garage) for all my electrical works applications (wire clamps and such) i've also fielded out another 1/4 in set (in SAE) out of cleaning out the craftman toolchest from Hell. I think this was the kick in teh *** i needed to play "Hurricane Scottie" in the Garage.

Oh i did find a set of Hemostats in the mess too- added to the toolbox
                  Last edited by Sundowner; 08-18-2008, 10:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I use one of those red fishing-tackle style boxes for all my screwdrivers. But you have that really nice craftsman shoulder-tall toolchest -- you could always dedicate a drawer to screwdrivers

Don't know if you noticed, but I altered my post on the gasket (go back and re-read).

PS - storm now expect to hit Orlando Tuesday night instead of Clearwater/St. Pete/Tampa... but there's another one brewing hard in the mid-Atlantic coming up Hurricane alley.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've already ultilized one for all the house screwdeivers (threw about 5 of them out) man some of this stuff is old as hell- half broke and just beyond its use.
                      I got the top half organized so far- hell even the Bike chems are in one nice home now.

Cool - will do thanks (on teh RVT)

and the house tools are a seperate entity from the bike tools- easier to keep track of
                      Last edited by Sundowner; 08-18-2008, 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Bike update...
                        After my hellish work/school schedule. I finally got the Oil change done in the bike, and the Signal Generator cover leak addressed

Comment

Rodimus, I'm going to need you for an hour on your next free day to give me a hand with my own bike (need a bit of weight at the rear while I bolt the front wheel back on, a few other things). Call me with your availability when you can.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Low. But I have a niece moving there in a week or two, so the odds of me visiting have just improved dramatically.
                            I'll spring for the beer & pizza if you come up this way. Heck, gather everyone up and have a central PA valve adjustment party.
                            sigpic
                            Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

She flew today... But odds are if I come up there, the last thing I really want to do is spend a day in the heat over valves
                              Can we just gather & laugh & ride instead?

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X