X

Battery and Dying problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery and Dying problem

So I've read the threads about bikes dying and batteries not charging. What about both?

I can't get my battery to charge. It'll jump fine and sit at around 3V after jumping and turning the bike off. I'm showing good voltage while running. I don't think there's a drain (new to the multimeter and the thing jumps a bit when I look at it too quickly).

When I do get the bike running, it runs fine. However, when I hit the brakes, it dies. Quickly and completely. No clock even. I think it's only when I hit the rear brake though since I was using the front with no problem.

Here's my problem. I am not the person to be messing with anything involving current. I make a great test light. Could this be as simple as a short along wiring from the rear brake to the brake lights? If so, would it be better to fix or replace? If replace, is it involved?
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Originally posted by brooder View Post
    It'll jump fine and sit at around 3V after jumping and turning the bike off.
    That right there means the battery is toasted already.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

And that sucks. I bought that battery in April. I've always managed to get at least a year out of the walmart batteries. Time to order that Yuasa from BikeBandit.
      -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Sounds like you have a few dead cells/internally shorted battery. You don't state how old the battery is, but I imagine it is securely mounted to prevent undue thrashing while riding. If it's not properly secured, that would accelerate it's demise.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
          Sounds like you have a few dead cells/internally shorted battery. You don't state how old the battery is, but I imagine it is securely mounted to prevent undue thrashing while riding. If it's not properly secured, that would accelerate it's demise.
          I bought that battery in April.
          It's attached using the bracket that I've always used. Wish I could find the receipt. I'd love to take it back and tell them where to put it. I need to find a local dealer with Yuasa batteries. I want to ride this weekend but can't without a battery.
          -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Odds are you're going to have problems finding someone on a Friday with just the right Yuasa battery in stock, esp. charged and ready to go.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a charger, so I'm not worried about that. My other option is a Bikemaster battery that my Suzuki stealership has. At least they had it a couple of days ago. But it's $80.
              -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I have a charger, so I'm not worried about that. My other option is a Bikemaster battery that my Suzuki stealership has. At least they had it a couple of days ago. But it's $80.
                I think I paid close to that for the last Yuasa I bought.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I just found a place with the Yuasa for $83. I'm trying to convince myself that the extra $33 is better when compared to the Wal-mart batteries.
                  -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

IMHO, it is.
                    The plate density and materials choices are literally superior in a high-vibration, high-heat environment (you don't get to be the number one OEM supplier by having the same thing everyone else offers; you also don't spend 30 years in that position by failing to innovate).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

most places engrave a date on the battery case, try returning it anywho. ya never know, maybe wallymart will play nicely
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                        most places engrave a date on the battery case, try returning it anywho. ya never know, maybe wallymart will play nicely
                        I remember that with cars. The puched out the date and if the battery failed before that date, they would replace it or at least prorate the refund.
                        -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Is it low on fluid perhaps? Sometimes batteries get wacky when the fluid levels are low.
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

No idea. It's sealed (at least now, after burning my fingers with some acid the other day I don't want to open it again). But it's only 3 months old. I don't know how it would be low.
                            -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

No idea. It's sealed (at least now, after burning my fingers with some acid the other day I don't want to open it again). But it's only 3 months old. I don't know how it would be low.
                              If it's a sealed battery, and it's failed already... I'd be taking it back...

If you've only had it since April it's not like you've had a chance to freeze it solid or something.
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X