X
X

The GAP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one day i will ride the legendary gap. but i have seen a few videos where the law is lurking around practically every corner. whats up with that ? i mean how can you try and wring your machine out with the police out in such force. or are the police usually not patrolling?

Comment

The best time to ride is during the week...almost no police and alot less traffic. On the weekends the police are usually there but most will allow you a little bit of speed, but if they see you're really overdoing it or leaving your lane....your got! You dont have to do 100mph to enjoy the gap though, I'm not an experienced rider so I usually take it a bit slow but cut the corners sharper so I can still get really low(drag a knee almost) yet still have room to correct should something jump out in front of me(like a tree for example,lol)
      sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
      RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
      I Miss You Pop
      2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
      BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

Comment

I road the dragon last tuesday for the first time. Not that scary. From what is on the internet it is portrayed that you have to drag knees, scrap pegs, or even a mirror or some crap just to barely keep the bike under check. NOT the case at all. I got stuck behind a couple wings on teh first way through and a car and harleys the second time. My top speed was possibly 40 and wasn't pushing it at all. I did see two police man, both were tennessee police, and one was sitting down at the deals gap resort(yep in nc).

The foothills is nice, but would only seem fun if you were doing near 100 mph. I road it at 60 and it was near riding highway. Scenic views.

I let two bikes pass me on the gap, more power to them if they want to put their life on the line.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by cameron View Post
          one day i will ride the legendary gap. but i have seen a few videos where the law is lurking around practically every corner. whats up with that ? i mean how can you try and wring your machine out with the police out in such force. or are the police usually not patrolling?
          there are so many switchbacks i have fun running the speed limit!

Comment

i look forward to riding the gap. cops or not it will be cool to ride that stretch of road where so many other bikes have been.

Comment

Originally posted by newride View Post
              I have July 21st through August 4th off and thought about heading down to Deals Gap. I am from boston and have made no camping arrangements. I am guessing things are already booked for camping sites for then.
              Any advice from folks who live in that area?

Well, we're there starting on the 12th.... so you'll probably miss us. Wind said he stayed at a camp site over in Topoco last year that he really liked.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                Well, we're there starting on the 12th.... so you'll probably miss us. Wind said he stayed at a camp site over in Topoco last year that he really liked.
                it was telico plains.http://www.cycleresort.com/ nice couple that run it.EDIT here is a link for a few campgrounds. http://www.grahamcountytravel.com/ac...ions_camp.html
                Last edited by the wind; 06-26-2008, 06:42 AM. Reason: to add link

Comment

Originally posted by cameron View Post
                  Try Route Napoleon...sourthern France or Circque De Comme du Laval....scare the pants off you...no cops because if you make a mistake even at low speeds your F***** anyhow
                  You'd Love It

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
                    it was telico plains.http://www.cycleresort.com/ nice couple that run it.EDIT here is a link for a few campgrounds. http://www.grahamcountytravel.com/ac...ions_camp.html
                    Thanks man,
                    I will hopefully make it out there in a few weeks!
                    The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

U guys need to talk to Ben. He runs the place

Seriously tell him Hagen sent you. The crazy local on the Kat.. He may hook you all up. And if you guys are staying on week days . there should be rooms open. There were today. I will check for you all mon and tuesday. I'm up there 4 days a week So if you guys need help please let me know!!!!
                      Hagen
                      865-661-9778
                      Don't blow it up to much..and call after 7 cuz when im not working im riding@@@!!!
                      HA!!

Comment

well...i'll be up there on wednesday night and plan on riding the GAP on thursday first...we're staying in robbinsville, so it'll be alot closer than i expected. i'll have to give you a call when i get up there.

Comment

!!

Sounds good yall came come hang out in maryville. 25 minutes from the Gap. Man well have a blast
                          HA!!

Comment

Why is it everytime someting like this is going on, I always have to work!!!!
                            RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                            I Miss You Pop
                            2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

that's usually the way things go! we'll be up there all weekend, so if you have time come on over.

Comment

I'm on call all weekend in pigeon forge and gatlinburg so I'll probably be working till like 7 or 8 every night. Last time I was on call, east tenn riders had a little shin dig and the time before that was the big stunt show at 411 dragstrip.....Man, I'm always getting screwed,lol.
                                RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                                I Miss You Pop
                                2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

Working...
                                X