X

The GAP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GAP

anybody live around deals gap? i'm coming up the 1st weekend of july and was wondering if there's anything special i need to know about it. it'll be my 1st time riding it. i've been riding for about 5.5 years, but my 1st time at the gap. also, i want to ride the cherohala skyway, but i want to know if it'll be worth it, or just stay on the GAP the whole 4 days! thanks for any input.

chris

you should hold off and come up to the Gap the second weekend in July. The KR Deals Gap Rally runs July 12 - 19.
    '06 600 Katana
    http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
    Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
    Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Be ready for a lot of traffic, weekdays are best but still busy. Yes ride the Cherohala, a lot of riders like it better than Deals Gap.

Things to remember.

1. Stay in your lane
      2. Look through corners
      3. Ride at your pace

I was up Sunday, saw tons of skid marks where people freak out entering a corner and lock up the rear. They stare at the edge of the road, and thats usually where they end up. Just remember to look where you want to go. There have already been several accidents, but most are out of towners not used to all the curves. (most are cruisers, not sportbikes)

PM me if you want to ride, there are plenty of great roads in the area.
      25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

Personally I would rather spend my days on the Skyway and just hit the dragon once or twice.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I enjoy the Skyway alot more than the Gap. Definitely take the time to ride it. Foothills Pkwy is nice also.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Foothills parkway is generally where I go....to many riders acting like idiots at the gap and I really dont feel like fighting for my lane around every other corner. My only advice is to ride safe and dont be one of the idiots out there!!
            sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
            RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
            I Miss You Pop
            2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
            BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

Comment

skyway first, then the gap, and 28 I believe is the other good road that's nearby...

have fun and don't over do it...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

The Dragon and the Skyway are two completely different beasts. Both are great roads and if your in the area you owe it to yourself to do both.
                Kyle

Comment

28 is a nice road also, foothills parkway do your self a favor and do the big loop 129,28 skyway ect ...
                  sigpic
                  89 Katana -94 Katana
                  02 CBR F4i - 07 VFR 800
                  03 SuperHawk (sold) -
                  84 VF500f

Comment

Its my home!!!!

Ride it..Give me aring when you come in.. Hagen 865-661-9778.. you can ride with us locals.. You will enjoy very much. were extremely Quick!!

You dont have to ride it fast though... Weekdays are the days to ride. No leo's and the troopers stay out...
                    Last edited by dragonrider129; 06-15-2008, 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    HA!!

Comment

lol..lol..lol...

Scary fast..
                      Attached Files
                      HA!!

Comment

i'll definitely do that...we'll be riding it thursday, friday, and probably saturday too. i'd like to think i'm an aggressive rider, but seeing those pics, i'll try my best to keep up!

Comment

I have July 21st through August 4th off and thought about heading down to Deals Gap. I am from boston and have made no camping arrangements. I am guessing things are already booked for camping sites for then.
                          Any advice from folks who live in that area?
                          The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by cpark_12 View Post
                            i'll definitely do that...we'll be riding it thursday, friday, and probably saturday too. i'd like to think i'm an aggressive rider, but seeing those pics, i'll try my best to keep up!
                            Don't try and keep up so much, the locals know the roads. Just relax have fun and stay rubber side down.
                            Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
                              Don't try and keep up so much, the locals know the roads. Just relax have fun and stay rubber side down.
                              Yes, when you try to keep up or ride above your abilities, you get into trouble.

Ride your pace that you're comfortable with, especially at Deals Gap. There is no room for error here.
                              2007 Honda CBR600rr
                              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X