No announcement yet.
X

Touring Tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have over 8K on a set of Conti Forces and have no complaints. Will probably try Metzler's next unless someone knows something better for a pre-98 600 Kat
    What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

I just got another Futura.
      This time I went with the Shinko Podiums.

Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
      '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
      '11 Kawasaki KLR650
      I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

I just put Metzelers on my pre and I love em. barely took anything to balance them too. I used to have to push it into turns, now it falls in nice and easy. Had Avons before.
        Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

I use my 96 kat for highway commuting daily. Will be touring from VA to OH and Back this summer. Some mountain riding, but not much in the form of a knee dragger. Are the Z6's what I should get, or some other brand?

Comment

I've still got the Dunlops that came with my bike (from P.O.) and they barely show any wear at close to 3.5k miles, but when they wear out, I'll probably buy a set of Z6s as CP recommends.
            -
            -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              Metzeler Z6's.

Suitable for sports-touring, get over 10k miles out of them, handle wet weather ideally, and can still drag a knee. Not to mention, it's the best tire for the 98+ Kat, IMHO.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              I'll keep bugging you with this one. I agree with the Metz, but I run the Road-attacks also. 7400 miles so far with lots of tread left.

Last edited by Mat0302; 05-21-2008, 09:54 PM.
              myspace
              2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

To be fair, Mat0302, I didn't new-vs-new test the Road-Attacks, because they weren't on the market when I did my tire comparo. One of these days I might do another Kat tire comparo test with all the newer offerings that have come to market since, but I'm not particularly motivated since the Z6's are so good to me (unlike the situation when I did the test).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I know. to be fair, I haven't tried the metzlers.. haha

I like the idea of the continuous compound in the tread.

myspace
                  2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Mat0302 View Post
                    I know. to be fair, I haven't tried the metzlers.. haha
                    I like the idea of the continuous compound in the tread.
                    Nothing new there -- Metzeler's been doing mixed compounds for long enough that the patent recently expired!

Try the Z6's one of these days (take mine for a test run, if you ride a 600 to give it a fair comparo).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

is it mixed compunds or continuous compounds?

I saw an article a while back and I can't find it for the life of me now, but it talked about conti use of the continuous rubber over everyone else's mixed compounds. I'm still looking for other tire pics to show, but just can't find the right one.

you know I got a 750, but I'll take you up on the 600 test run, we can trade for a ride!

you should come to Sarasota on a sunday, there is a spot that has sunday rides all day.
                      myspace
                      2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Mat0302 View Post
                        you should come to Sarasota on a sunday, there is a spot that has sunday rides all day.
                        If she's finished and road-worthy by Sunday... I still have a long list of stuff ahead of me, but the only thing to get her "minimally" road-worthy is sync'ing the carbs and buttoning her back up now. I had hoped to throw the Z6's on and the battleaxes off this week, but doesn't look like it'll happen (weekend rush has started at my tire-mounters shop). Mind if I drag Kat6 and/or Rodimus with me?

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It's every Sunday, so no rush. anybody can ride!

Feul Cafe in Sarasota is the meeting spot and even has a tuesday bike night. It's nothing like QS&L, but the local riders meet there. I think the first ride leaves around 9am, but they come back, then more people join...etc. It turned into an allday thing where riders just come and go basically
                          myspace
                          2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

I put the podiums on yesterday, so far so good. I like them and will buy them again. They are suppose to have good mileage. 005 seem to turn better though, but that could be in the bike.
                            Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                            '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                            '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                            '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                            I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

After this trip, I will definately need a new set of tires. Now, I am torn between the two. If price is similar though, I am going to have to try the Z6's.

Comment

Well I have 17,000km on my Z6's and love them, going to order another set before the rally.

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X