X

Coil lead voltage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil lead voltage

So I found that my coil leads for cylinders 1,4 I found that I had a voltage of 10.55. On the other hand the leads for the other coil give a voltage of .03. Does that mean I'm grounding out in the wiring for the first coil

Means you lost a connection some where, or shorted out somewhere.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Could it be the cdi shorted? I'm guessing that I'm not supposed to have the 10+ volts to that coil. And would I just trace the white wire to the coil since the orange/white works just fine on the other coil?
      Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 10-25-2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

White is negative from the cdi. The other is positive from the loom. I highly doubt it's the CDI.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

What is the best way to diagnose a short in a wire, I used a multimeter to check continuity and it showed a load.

Comment

Continuity to what? A wiring diagram and follow the wire back.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

I checked the continuity from the white wire in the cdi connector to the plug in for the coil. Maybe I should give up on the dream of having the bike and find another hobby.

Comment

You bought a very old bike, it's going to have some bugs some where. Think of it a learning expierence. We've all gone threw this at some point in ownership. Chances are the wire to the coil is chaffed some where. Start checking the loom at any frame or metal area for a worn wire.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Ok, thanks, junker. I'm sorry to be such a pain in the behind

Comment

Well I followed the wires all the way, no abrasions, no grounding on anything, unless the wires are just bad, I don't know. It starts and runs with just cylinders 2 and 3 but 1 and 4 are a no go. I'm sure they are all supposed to fire upon start up. I'm stumped and really I'm not in the position to try to buy another coil after just ordering a new petcock.

Comment

If you have no voltage going to the coil, it's not the coil. Jump a wait from 2/3 coil from the + to the + of coil 1/4. White is negative or trigger wire from the CDI. See if it runs. I'll do some wiring research for you.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

The coil with low voltage is the one that fires and the one that reads over 10.5 at the leads is the one that doesn't. I have swapped wires from coil to coil and nothing. I appreciate all of your help.
                        Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 10-25-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

That's not right, the coil needs min 10.5v to spark strong .90v won't get you nothing....?????
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

I don't know that's just what I got I took the plug wires off 1,4 and the bike kept running no difference at all. I checked twice and same result.
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            This pic is the voltage of the coil leads that is causing problems

[IMG][/IMG]
                            This is my reading from the woring coil
                            Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 10-25-2015, 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Some wasn't measured correctly. That is the power leads feeding the coil? Should be bat voltage max 10.5-11v min.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X