X

Tipping factor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping factor

Well I finally tipped one of my bikes I decided that Sunday was the perfect day to put some miles on the kat so I took off from Haslett, MI and headed north. There's great county roads and a few stretches of curves just about 30 minutes or so away. So I got to Round Lake Rd. which is a stretch of curves and decided to run through a few times. Nothing crazy, speed limit is 45 with a handful of 30mph curves mixed in. On my 3rd trip through, there's a spot next to the lake to pull off and so I deceded to stop and take a break. I pulled in, turned the bike off and popped my helmet. I sat for a few minutes watching boats go by and then threw my leg over to get off. All of a sudden I felt that dreaded feeling of the bike moving forward on the kickstand!! It probably looked pretty funny to watch me fight this thing as it leaned over in slow motion and rested on its side. Luckily nobody was around and I don't think anyone saw me. I took about 30 seconds to gather myself (which seemed like forever) and then quickly and actually pretty easily picked the kat back up. I imagined it would be more difficult to pick up from all the stories I've read of others who have had my same misfortune. I guess I didn't really pay any attention to the slightly uneven parking lot and I had parked nose down. It's surprising how little it really takes to upset the Kat on it's sidestand. So anyways, I started it back up without problems and did a quick inspections. Not a mark besides a scuff on the tip of my clutch lever so I consider myself pretty lucky. Here's a quick pic. 2 hour ride, one little mishap and over all a still a great day out riding..
    Attached Files
    sigpic2006 GSX600F

Sucks, I had the same thing happen to me right in front of the Suzuki dealership. That center stand can be a *******.
    Originally posted by katanawarrior
    I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

I feel ya, mine's almost gone down in the garage while I was making more space -- if the sidestand isn't FULLY extended it just collapses
      Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
      H. L. Mencken

Comment

lol have u ever had your jeans get stuck on the footpeg? you tip over and can't do anything about it. and if someone sees ya apperently its the funniest thing to watch lol

Comment

Originally posted by xXstreetbikedethXx View Post
          lol have u ever had your jeans get stuck on the footpeg? you tip over and can't do anything about it. and if someone sees ya apperently its the funniest thing to watch lol
          LOL Tipping over with the bike is likely a hilarious thing to watch. I know my wife bust out with laughter when my kickstand popped up on me and I fell right on my side in the garage. IT HURT, but she was too busy laughing to help me get the bike up off of me.
          Originally posted by katanawarrior
          I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

Tipping Point

Malcolm Gladwell calls it the "tipping point" when things or events come to a certain point that what might happen is definitely going to happen no matter what!

I find the Kat kickstand to be the worst - I have half chased mine out of the garage a couple of times on just the slightest slope.

I am so paranoid now that I double triple check it and then get off and kind of watch it a minute to see if it is gonna decide to roll off without me.

Glad the damage was small and there were no "non-biker" audiences -- they just don't seem to appreciate how easily it happens!

Comment

One of the ways to prevent some of the tip overs is to always leave it gear when you go to get off. My son suggested it to me after mine rolled forward as i was throwing my leg over and fell on me. I also got into the habit of having my foot on the end of the stand as I go to get off. If it starts to move, just pull back on the bars hard and hope to hell it stays up.
              Last edited by deputydog_45; 08-22-2011, 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
              Don’t walk before you can crawl, and don’t try to sprint until you are a good walker. Use your head, wear the gear, and have fun

Comment

After a while you learn to watch the ground slope. It becomes automatic. Parking in gear isn't a bad idea, though. When I took the MSF course (again) this summer the instructors made a big deal out of it as well as pointing the wheel to the left to lean the bike over more. I've been parking in neutral so long that it's habit now, though. I just park facing uphill.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Been there, done that. I was able to softly lay the Kat down on my boot, so worst thing was the embarrassing scene as I wrestled to get it back up

Glad there was no real damage in your case
                  2002 GSXF 750

Comment

it sucks
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

last time i dropped mine i was moving it in the garage. when it tipped i was holding on the left bar and didn't turn loose fast enough. popped the tendon in my left arm. damm heavy azz bike.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I have had it almost happen twice... Being a big guy, helps to muscle it up prior to hitting the ground.. I would like to thank lifting weights most of my life for this
                        Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

i never trust my side stand...

always use my center stand...

Comment

i had mine tip over on me, had some boxes and stuff to side of it, i fell onto the boxes, kat fell on me, gf was there at the time, she couldnt help to much because shes pulling it from the other side.... yea it sucked....
                            "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                            2004 marauder 800

Comment

i almost put mine on the ground acouple days aga. i was harrasing my kids before i had to leave for work and in the excitement of them chasing me out the door. while running i jumped on the kat from the leftside and my momentum took me and the kat to the right. at that point it was " O SHHIITTT!!!" *Insert slow mo voice " it took almost all i had to stop it a few inchs from the ground and pulled it back up. i sat there laying over the tank thinking to myself Dee da Dee,dump arse.
                              "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                              1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                              2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X