X

Hello Katriders 1st Post "no spark"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Katriders 1st Post "no spark"

I am new to forums and Katana. I have a 1992 Katana with no spark. I have tested everything I am able to test. As Far as I can tell from the wiring diagram if I have + 12v to th orange and white wire at the cdi box everything before that is good (neutral switch, sidestand switch, kill switch). I have + 12 volts at the orange and white wire and a good ground. I checked the primary and secondary resistance of the coils. They are within specs. I also checked the resistance across the pickup coil and tested each of the two leads to ground. Both tests were good. I decided it must be the CDI box. Ordered a used one from ebay, installed it still no spark. With the ignition on I see +12 v (to Ground) on both leads on the primary side to the coils at all times (with both leads connected to the coil) not sure if this is right. I see this with both the original CDI and the one from ebay. From what I can tell the ground side of the primary is what the CDI switches. I also noticed that when I turn on the ignition my tach goes to (and stays at) roughly 9000 with the bike not running (Not sure if that is right either). When I crank the engine over the Tach drops down and bounces around 500 or so RPM (which seems correct).

try new plugs?
    sigpic'98 600 Parting Out

Comment

welcome to KR, Im sure someone will be able to assist you,

All I could do would be to suggest new plugs, battery, and/or check the volts at the coils. But from the sound of it your more electronic saavy than I so Ill be sure to be the one asking you questions. 0
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

pusle coil/signal pick up (right side of engine) or the wiring for said unit.
        fuse
        if your getting power to the coils but no spark signal and you have tried a known working cdi you need to chech the signal going to the cdi.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I ohmed out the pulse coil it read 165 ohms which is within specs. I also read each of the two coil leads to ground and it read an open (no short to ground). These were the two tests from a manual and a shop. I put my digital meter across the leads and cranked the engine over. It read a max around 386 millivolts, but it is hard to get a good reading on a pulse like that with a digital meter. There was a voltage though.

Comment

I appreciate everyones help. I figured it out. Something in the tach is messed up. When I unplugged it I got spark and the bike started right up.

Comment

good job.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

The tach reading 9000 was the indicator. Not normal.

Comment

Welcome!
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome home and feel free to help or ask for help you seem to be electric savey which a lot of people are scared of.
                    Burn it

Comment

welcome

Comment

welcome to KR!
                        sigpic
                        "Horsepower has a tendency to break things, if your not breaking anything your not going fast enough"
                        "The shortest way between two points is a straight line...Whats the fun in that?"

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
                          The tach reading 9000 was the indicator. Not normal.
                          didn't seem normal to me either when I read it, but I remember seeing the needles move on old cars as a kid (and some new ones now) when you turn the key to "on", so I figured maybe it WAS normal on a pre.
                          sigpic'98 600 Parting Out

Comment

Working...
                          X