X

R1 LED Integrated tail light mod.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 LED Integrated tail light mod.

This is my R1 (02-03) intergrated tail light (Lockhart phillips), $25 used from ebay. My first attempt was a fail. Im not sure if it was a faulty circuit board or if the old style flasher burnt out the LED's, but this one seems to work well. This is probably the easiest integrated tail light there is, its basically plug and play. If you can use butt connectors, you can do this mod.

You only want the circuit board. If you get the whole light, just cut the outter lens, and the black mount off and keep the guts.

Basically just hook up the tail light wire for wire, and place the LED board in the tail light housing. The ground wires going to the tail light are obsolete, just hook up the hot wires of your turn signals to the corresponding blue or yellow wire off the LED board.

When you screw on your cover it will hold the board in place. Youll need to swap out your flasher relay for a variable load, #552 at Oreilly's for $2.99, Plugs right into the Pre harness.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBn0gwAEb7w"]YouTube- FILE0045.MOV[/ame]
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Great job. The turn signals seem a little, um, blah on the video. I really hope they're much more noticeable and brighter when not on camera.
    - Remember -
    Ride wherever the road takes you and
    never stop until every inch of pavement
    has tasted your rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroGlycerin View Post
      Great job. The turn signals seem a little, um, blah on the video. I really hope they're much more noticeable and brighter when not on camera.
      Yeah they are better in person. They are actually yellow, so they stand out against the red tail light. My shoddy camera taking skills didnt help.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroGlycerin View Post
        Integrated LED turn signals aren't as bright as the OEMs, but look at least 1.2 million times better. If someone doesn't notice the LED turn signals, they weren't going to see the originals.

Cool mod Hemi.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Another bookmark in the "Bike Projects / Tax Return" folder.
          In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

I like the turn signals...

Comment

man that is sweet.. i love the idea.
              sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
              www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

thats great probly going to be doing that.

Comment

nice work

Comment

I just did this mod and the tail light is definitely more noticeable. It also makes the rear look cleaner. It only cost me $22 total to do the mod. I picked up my 02 lockhart phillips r6 integrated tail for $13 shipped on ebay

Btw when you are taking the light apart... Stick a small screw driver in the seal between the housing and clear lense and it should pop off. No cutting required.

HemiKat thanks for the write up and help...

Comment

I can't wait to get a pre and do this mod. I always thought the rear light was lacking. Also I can get rid of the stock turn signals that stick out. You know I may even order the parts before I even get the bike. God I love mods the are freakin cool.
                      I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                      -Unholy m-
                      Current project: Un-Katchable
                      sigpic

Comment

so ready to do this soon as my r1 tail light arrives in the mail
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
                          I can't wait to get a pre and do this mod. I always thought the rear light was lacking. Also I can get rid of the stock turn signals that stick out. You know I may even order the parts before I even get the bike. God I love mods the are freakin cool.
                          I think getting rid of the turn signals made the biggest difference. Nothing hanging off out side of the fairings really clean up the lines of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                            Youll need to swap out your flasher relay for a variable load, #552 at Oreilly's for $2.99, Plugs right into the Pre harness.
                            I have a question...

I will be owning (soon) a pre cat with an 01 wiring harness (also 01 motor and other guts from an 01). Can I still do the mod step for step or do I need to do anything different?

I must know how to do this cus I have the r1 light on the way.
                            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                            -Unholy m-
                            sigpic

Comment

Can we make this a sticky?
                              -Unholy m-
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X