No announcement yet.
X

HID upgrade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got 35W 5000K bi-xenons in a stock Katana housing and no issues. Never been flashed and the light output is much better than stock. I purchased from here:

The HID bulb has a metal shroud that covers the bottom so light can't reflect off the bottom of the Katana's housing and upwards into the eyes of oncoming traffic. Good info on the light toggle switch, I'll have to get one wired up next spring to save the HID set-up. I have a full out retrofit on my truck and I do realize that projectors would be a better way to go, giving me a cleaner cutoff and a wider beam pattern but plug and play kits do work if done correctly. Also, I avoid night riding so the brighter bulbs in the day time is easier to be seen as well as at dusk when people are fighting solar glare.

Comment

The relay is MUCH more important then a toggle switch BTW...
      I am a Penn State fanatic.
      Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
        The relay is MUCH more important then a toggle switch BTW...
        What exactly are you putting on a relay? I figured a toggle switch where you can shut off the headlight until the bike is fired up would do the trick. I guess I'm confused as to what the relay is supposed to accomplish. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pugga View Post
          What exactly are you putting on a relay? I figured a toggle switch where you can shut off the headlight until the bike is fired up would do the trick. I guess I'm confused as to what the relay is supposed to accomplish. Thanks!
          If it is a TDR (Time delay relay) you shouldn't need a switch... Just make sure you start up the bike before X amount of seconds after putting the key in the ignition.

Comment

A wire relay so as to directly wire the HIDs to the battery since their draw is much more then the stock wire harness can really handle and you run a high risk of shorted, melted, or otherwise destroyed wires...

Most HID sites now sell the wire relays for just this issue.

And yes as numus stated you can get them with a built in delay should you wish so as to absolve the need for a switch.

Comment

The switch may not exaclty be legal depending on where you live.

Well, in most places in the US it's not legal to operate an MC with the headlamps off.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

the switch is legal, driving without the headlights on in most places is not...

But if you use the switch to save the ballasts then you are good to go

Comment

This write up on Cheriff's bike should help also, one of the best installs I've seen:

Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems
                  "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
                  Chris
                  graphic designer | drummer
                  2002 Katana 600
                  Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                    A wire relay so as to directly wire the HIDs to the battery since their draw is much more then the stock wire harness can really handle and you run a high risk of shorted, melted, or otherwise destroyed wires...

Most HID sites now sell the wire relays for just this issue.

And yes as numus stated you can get them with a built in delay should you wish so as to absolve the need for a switch.
                    Thanks!

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    The switch may not exaclty be legal depending on where you live.

Well, in most places in the US it's not legal to operate an MC with the headlamps off.
                    I'm aware of the potential legal issues of the switch, I'll have to check for sure about it. Either way, I'd only use it to save the ballasts on start up, I don't intend to drive with the lights off but I'm thinking a time delay relay might be the best option. That way I can route power directly from the battery, eliminate the need for a switch and not risk frying the bulbs, ballasts or wiring.

Comment

As stated... The switch is 100% legal. The law states it is illegal to ride a motorcycle without front illumination (at least this is how Florida is). Defining front illumination as headlights... As long as you do not turn off the switch while riding, the law doesn't acknowledge a switch period...

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                        As stated... The switch is 100% legal. The law states it is illegal to ride a motorcycle without front illumination (at least this is how Florida is). Defining front illumination as headlights... As long as you do not turn off the switch while riding, the law doesn't acknowledge a switch period...
                        But who wants to go to court arguing over the legality of a switch because of a $20 fix it ticket?
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          But who wants to go to court arguing over the legality of a switch because of a $20 fix it ticket?
                          The point is you can't get a ticket. The cop has to write a statutory violation in the ticket... What is he going to write? That you didn't have headlights on? The law only applies to the physical lights, not the electrical pathway to the lights.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            Why would you? You cant get a ticket for something if you are nto using it. Same goes for things like Nitrous tanks. Legal to have in a car but illegal to use in most cases on the roadways. This falls into same category.

Comment

Meh, the issue is if you forget to turn the lights on, and get pulled over.

I would say "dang I guess that fuse blew again, I'll get it fixed ASAP"
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                                Meh, the issue is if you forget to turn the lights on, and get pulled over.

I would say "dang I guess that fuse blew again, I'll get it fixed ASAP"
                                That would be my worry since I do most of my riding in the daytime. I could go miles and never realize I didn't flip the switch. I'd just go with the time delay relay and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X