Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I'M LOST!!! How do I find out where I am?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slip304 View Post
    I thought that getting lost was all part of the fun ? ?
    i try and get lost in smokies,lots of good roads.
    still use paper maps l

Comment

well considering that i don't use gps i keep a few things in mind....

1. the sun... it rises in the east and sets in the west.

2. moss generally grows on the northern side of trees and rocks ( northern hemisphere above the 49th lateral, or southern hemisphere around the same (-)latitude.)

3. north star is is less than 3/4 of a degree of the northern celestial pole.

4. ( in california ) clouds often move from west to east. find out the local weather by checking the forcast before you leave.

5. in urban areas the ****ty part of town is often the furthest away from the water.

6. also if your looking for the ****ty part of town. follow the trail of rail roads, spray paint , and liquor stores.

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
      Very good replies. If you're really really lost and need to navigate the old fashioned way, and there are no people around (how likely is that) here's what you do.

For the northern hemisphere people, you wait until dark, then find the North Star, Polaris. Determine the angle of Polaris above the horizon (or horizontal if you can't find the horizon). That is your Latitude. If you don't have an octant, you can get creative with ways to find an angle, and then use your compass wheel to find the value of the angle. Using sticks and string to sight Polaris you find that it is 40 degrees above the horizon. Your Latitude is 40 degrees North.

Now take a nap. Feel free to sleep in.

At noon the next day (by the sun, not your watch), mark the time on your watch. Since there are 360 degrees of Longitude and 24 hours in a day, the earth will spin 15 degrees per hour. Let's say your watch is set to Eastern time and reads 12:34 at local noon. GMT, is 5 hours ahead, so it is 5:34 PM GMT. So, your longitude is 5 x 15 = 75 degrees 34/60 x 15 = 8.5 75+8.5 = 83.5 Degrees West.

So you are 40 degrees North 83.5 Degrees West. You now know exactly where you are and using your compass and map you can find out which direction will lead you towards civilization.
      ^Epic!

Originally posted by thetable View Post
      No, you still have no clue where you are as most maps aren't marked with lat/long.
      If you a map, all you have to do is figure out what road you're on, then assuming no sun, find two cross streets or identifiable locations on a map, to figure out which direction is which.

I mean, seriously, you're going to spend a freaking day to figure out where you are??? Even if I'm in the middle of the freaking woods with no trails, I'm not going to go to those lengths to figure out where I am. With a compass, a topo map, and a couple landmarks, I can tell you where I am in just a few minutes. I don't need no freakin' sextant.
      Agreed

dirt roads are a hole other subject though.... one which atomonkey is prepared for...
      Last edited by il_ragazzo; 07-10-2011, 05:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

If you have a compass, a watch, and a map you could get Meguiver and build another GPS !

Comment

Originally posted by turboer View Post
          If you have a compass, a watch, and a map you could get Meguiver and build another GPS !

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
            Awesome! I totally butchered that spelling! But man that mullet is sick!

Comment

Originally posted by hemikat View Post
              thats for women...
              lmao
              I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

I never get lost. Temporarily off course, yes. But never lost. Must be because I am a man and we have a sense of direction.
                "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                  well considering that i don't use gps i keep a few things in mind....

1. the sun... it rises in the east and sets in the west.

2. moss generally grows on the northern side of trees and rocks ( northern hemisphere above the 49th lateral, or southern hemisphere around the same (-)latitude.)

3. north star is is less than 3/4 of a degree of the northern celestial pole.

4. ( in california ) clouds often move from west to east. find out the local weather by checking the forcast before you leave.

5. in urban areas the ****ty part of town is often the furthest away from the water.

6. also if your looking for the ****ty part of town. follow the trail of rail roads, spray paint , and liquor stores.

Yup, use this stuff. Look at the sun and figure out what general direction you want, then ride till you find a familiar highway.

Comment

Your never lost til you run low on gas... Until then it's just part of the fun!
                    Caveman

2002 Katana 600
                    A bunch of dirt bikes
                    A wife who takes my bike!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slip304 View Post
                      I thought that getting lost was all part of the fun ? ?
                      ditto - you guys are all doing it wrong. Getting lost IS part of the fun. I've had some of the best rides and seen some of the best scenery while completely lost. You not really in trouble until you do stop to ask for directions and someone says, "You can't get there from here".
                      Like to dive? www.ScubaHides.com
                      Drive a Wrangler? www.TakeEmOff.com

Comment

I can memorize my entire route (for the most part) for a cross country trip before leaving home. I usually don't have a problem with remembering my route traveled from one gas stop to the next. I generally have a final destination in mind before heading to unfamiliar areas of the country, so even if I am not on a planned route, I still know where I am. Never lost, just taking the less travelled scenic route.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

Find someone to sell the map, compass and watch so you can buy a bus ticket home.
                          I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                          -Unholy m-
                          Current project: Un-Katchable
                          sigpic

Comment

Moss grows on the South side of a Yamaha
                            Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Originally posted by cybrnathan View Post
                              Moss grows on the South side of a Yamaha
                              Nice one. Hope your enjoying the new bike
                              I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                              -Unholy m-
                              Current project: Un-Katchable
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X