No announcement yet.
X

When Is A Ride Too Long?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously? Best drummer in the world? Rick Allen. How can you compete with a guy with one arm?
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Michael Shrieve, not bad considering it was in 1969 and he had a basic drum set, a rare thing today. Santana always has the best musicians.

Depending on what the definition of "the best" is, I thought I would embed a video of Derek Roddy, he is almost a machine when playing and he is 38 years old, and a snake breeder, can't be too bad of a guy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7kQvyPXEQc&feature=fvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7kQvyPXEQc&feature=fvw[/ame]
      Last edited by ChrisInTexas; 01-21-2011, 09:40 PM.
      "Emini's are the future"

Comment

Hmmmm.....check out the uncut solo....
        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDalZ4-53g"]YouTube - Santana - Soul Sacrifice (Woodstock 1969) Incredible drum solo by 20 yr old boy! Michael Shrieve[/ame]
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Google best drummers and you'll usually find Peart at the top. Drummer magazine does an annual survey and Peart won it some times that they gave him his own category.
          Mick Fleetwood? He is interesting, with that chest tapping thing that he does, but I don't think he would make the top ten.
          The number two drummer, second to Peart, would be Carl Palmer. He can play dual kick drums and has incredible techniques
          I haven actually seen all three in concert, saw Palmer at the Spark Rib Cookoff last Sept, playing with "Asia" (free concert- awesome!).The thing about Peart is that the guy is intense and is still learning, still seeking advice from drum legends

Peart has received the following awards in the Modern Drummer magazine reader's poll:[11][52]
          • Hall of Fame: 1983
          • Best Rock Drummer*: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 2006, 2008
          • Best Multi-Percussionist*: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986
          • Best Percussion Instrumentalist: 1982
          • Most Promising New Drummer: 1980
          • Best All Around: 1986
          • 1986 Honor Roll: Rock Drummer, Multi-Percussion

Peart has received the following awards from DRUM! magazine for 2007:[53]
          • Drummer of the Year
          • Best Progressive Rock Drummer
          • Best Live Performer
          • Best DVD (Anatomy Of A Drum Solo)
          • Best Drumming Album (Snakes & Arrows)

Peart received the following awards from DRUM! magazine for 2008:[54]
          • Drummer of the Year
          • Best Progressive Rock Drummer (Runner-Up)
          • Best Mainstream Pop Drummer (Runner-Up)
          • Best Live Drumming Performer

Peart received the following awards from DRUM! magazine for 2009:[55]
          • Drummer Of The Year
          • Best Progressive Rock Drummer

Peart received the following awards from DRUM! magazine for 2010:[56]
          • Drummer of the Year
          • Best Live Performer (Runner-Up)
          • Best Progressive Rock Drummer (Runner-Up)

Digitaldreamdoor.com top ten:

1. Neil Peart (Rush)
          2. John Bonham* (Led Zeppelin)
          3. Keith Moon* (The Who)
          4. Carl Palmer (ELP)
          5. Ginger Baker (Cream)
          6. Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa)
          7. Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson)
          8. Hal Blaine (Session man)
          9. Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
          10. Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
          http://www.faqs.org/shareranks/593,G...rs-of-All-Time

Comment

Wow! I had to watch this video twice, he is amazing. I will say it again, 1969, no electronic effects, basic drum kit. He is awesome.

Originally posted by DClark View Post
            Google best drummers and you'll usually find Peart at the top. Drummer magazine does an annual survey and Peart won it some times that they gave him his own category.
            Mick Fleetwood? He is interesting, with that chest tapping thing that he does, but I don't think he would make the top ten.
            The number two drummer, second to Peart, would be Carl Palmer. He can play dual kick drums and has incredible techniques
            I haven actually seen all three in concert, saw Palmer at the Spark Rib Cookoff last Sept, playing with "Asia" (free concert- awesome!).The thing about Peart is that the guy is intense and is still learning, still seeking advice from drum legends
            I love Rush, it is amazing that 3 guys can put out that much sound. But how much electronic wizardry are they using. I saw Boston last year and Tom Scholz had 2 guys in a booth just off stage helping him run all of his synths. Lots of electronics these days.

Did you watch Slofuze's video above?
            "Emini's are the future"

Comment

I wasn't impressed with Peart when I saw Rush on their Power Windows tour. I've always felt he was one of the most highly over-rated drummers ever.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
                I wasn't impressed with Peart when I saw Rush on their Power Windows tour. I've always felt he was one of the most highly over-rated drummers ever.
                I saw that tour too. In all fairness, that was a bad time for Rush- they let synthesizers take over the band and Peart was playing those gawd awful electronic drums. He has gotten a real drum kit since then, and the last time I saw him(Snakes and Arrows tour) was great. He was tutored by Freddy Gruber and the guy who play drums for Jimi Hendrix (forgot his name).
                When I was in marching band in college, our advisor was a faculty percussion instructor and I asked him what is the most obvious difference between a good drummer and a exceptional drummer. He told me that the exceptional drummer makes it look easy, their body is still, they don't like they are breaking a sweat. This, as opposed to one who looks like "Fozzy Bear" from the Muppets.

Comment

Wasn't Fozzy, "Animal" was the drummer lol
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X