Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question: #1 reason noobs drop their bikes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: #1 reason noobs drop their bikes...

I searched, but either used the wrong keywords or just didn't find the info. What is the main reason noobs drop their bikes? Is it using the front brake in a low speed turn, or not reaching the ground when stopping (nearly happened to me once with my scooter, stepped out too far instead of down...) Just curious so I can try to avoid dropping my new (to me) Katana.
    Sold: 2001 Katana 600
    Bought: 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

Still waiting for my Braada Cowl... 62 weeks and counting... I'm told it will be worth the wait...

Because they're noobs....i forgot to put my kickstand down

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyhj2002
      +1
      Kyle

Comment

I think it would be a combination of side stand mishaps, and low speed turning/braking.
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Agreed .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
            I think it would be a combination of side stand mishaps, and low speed turning/braking.
            -That why the bike manufacturers added that kill switch to the side stand.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyhj2002
              i was going to say that

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle

And now it should show up in a search!!

Comment

I would think there are two things.

1. Dropping it in the driveway, garage, etc.

2. Wrecking while riding.

I think dropping it in the driveway usually happens because newbs aren't used to the weight of the bike, or the bike is not set up to the correct height for them and they are on their tip-toes. Oh, there is also the side-stand in the grass or gravel!

I think MOST of the low speed accidents occur from newbs braking in a corner and standing the bike up. It is counter intuitive to roll the throttle when your corner isn't going the way you want it to. You have to KNOW this works to be comfortable doing this.
                  -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                  -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

yep, i found that one out, the way you control the throttle helps HUGE in making a turn, too much youll slide, not enough, you wont turn/its harder to turn.

Comment

That makes me feel better... I don't have side stand issues and I have one of those carbon fiber plates to put under it in grass or dirt. The weight of the bike itself won't be an issue for me either as my scooter weighs 530+ lbs., but the fact that the weight is more in the front and up higher will be different.

I'll have to watch my throttle control in turns though. With the scooter, I can pretty much roll it wide open as I lean into the turn with no fear of too much power! Thanks for the info...
                      Sold: 2001 Katana 600
                      Bought: 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

Still waiting for my Braada Cowl... 62 weeks and counting... I'm told it will be worth the wait...

Comment

I think MOST of the low speed accidents occur from newbs braking in a corner and standing the bike up
                        yep been there done that. going "hot" into a corner, let off the throttle (wrong) hit the brakes hard (wrong). wound up sunny side up in a field...bike in the ditch. lesson learned
                        carpe diem

Comment

just go with what feels right, its usually good enough, and you'll learn. try startin out in subdivisons where theres corners but no traffic to worry about. you can get your timings down (if you slow down, apply brakes, come out of a turn) set, then start workin your way out. thats how i did it anyways

Comment

Originally posted by dkdickerson
                            just go with what feels right, its usually good enough, and you'll learn.
                            No no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO
                            Thing is , man was not really MEANT to travel faster than they can run . So the problem when they CAN move faster than they can run is that what "feels right" , may not actually BE the right thing to do . You learn some of this the hard way , and those lessons stick . Or , you can read about them and practice . Might I suggest something ?
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I come from riding cruisers before the Kat.
                              A good number of accidents I saw with new riders was they were too cautious in corners and curves. They would try to corner (right or left) going very slow and without leaning. Trying to corner slow and without leaning is what makes them wobble and then go slowly down.
                              I also see the new riders over-react and panic. Grabbing a handful of break when they did not really need to.

Comment

Working...
                              X