No announcement yet.
X

Parts from other bikes (Tire-Swing arm)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts from other bikes (Tire-Swing arm)

Hey guys
    First thanks for a forum like this! Just joined today cause I am having a terrible time finding answers about my bike...

OK! So first off its a 2003 Kat600 Ive been building into a streetfighter. (swapping out the motor thatll be in a dif thread)

Where can I get a new swing arm for this bike?! lol
    Its sitting on the stock 150 tire and I want to go AT LEAST 180 and thers no way I am going to cut into my stock swing arm....

Does any1 also know if there are any swing arms I could pull off of a parts bike and use? also would need to fit at least a 180.

Originally posted by 2003KAT600SF View Post
    Hey guys
    First thanks for a forum like this! Just joined today cause I am having a terrible time finding answers about my bike...

OK! So first off its a 2003 Kat600 Ive been building into a streetfighter. (swapping out the motor thatll be in a dif thread)

Where can I get a new swing arm for this bike?! lol
    Its sitting on the stock 150 tire and I want to go AT LEAST 180 and thers no way I am going to cut into my stock swing arm....

Does any1 also know if there are any swing arms I could pull off of a parts bike and use? also would need to fit at least a 180.
    If your dead set against the simple process of modifying or buying a modified swingman for you specific bike, then you will need to a bunch of other mods to the bike to fit a wider swinger.

Nothing stock from another bike that uses a 5.5 will come close to work with no mods. Either you buy a customer made swingarm, modify the swinger you have, or modify the bike and a swingarm from another bike.

I would suggest if your sole focus is width... mod the arm you have. If you want something that looks diff... then get the cool looking swinger you want and make the mods needed to make it work.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 03-14-2014, 10:15 PM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey has modded more than a few swing arms for members on here - he definitely knows what he's talking about.

Why are you so keen to run a larger rear tire? Certain look you're going for, planning on taking it to a drag strip, other?
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Hey thanks Krey Really appreciate it! Looks like Im going to have to just go with a custom swinger and not look for one from other bikes.
        I just REALLY don't want to cut or mod the stock one and risk some kind of damage to its integrity,

shpielers yeah its all soley about a look im going for. Not looking to drag it or anything I just have this thing for customizing my vehicles like my 200HP 95 del sol,
        This is the first motorcycle ive decided to mod and kind of want to go with the look of the Hayabusa streetfighter here

basically, its just for show and I love the streetfighter look.

Comment

Aaah, ok gotcha. If you're goin for something along those lines you have yourself a lot of customization to do. Probably going to cost a pretty penny. It's your $ though, so as long as you're havin fun, have at it! And post pics!
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
            Aaah, ok gotcha. If you're goin for something along those lines you have yourself a lot of customization to do. Probably going to cost a pretty penny. It's your $ though, so as long as you're havin fun, have at it! And post pics!

Haha will do! just got the bike back tonight so should be ordering stuff by next week muahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by 2003KAT600SF View Post
              Hey thanks Krey Really appreciate it! Looks like Im going to have to just go with a custom swinger and not look for one from other bikes.
              I just REALLY don't want to cut or mod the stock one and risk some kind of damage to its integrity,

shpielers yeah its all soley about a look im going for. Not looking to drag it or anything I just have this thing for customizing my vehicles like my 200HP 95 del sol,
              This is the first motorcycle ive decided to mod and kind of want to go with the look of the Hayabusa streetfighter here

basically, its just for show and I love the streetfighter look.

I get what you see in that linked fighter. Custom swinger, wheels, triples, USD forks, well done over all...

I'm going to just put out there... the Katana is probably the worst base to start with to get anywhere close to looking like that. The frame is horrible, very few parts would cross over, every part you put back on the bike will need to be heavily customized including the frame just to get a very anemic similar look. ALOT of work on the frame. You will also need to buy a lot of other parts from other bikes. Buying individual parts like that could cost you more than just starting with a better base bike.

You don't have to break the bank for that either. I'm sure there are lots of salvage yards that you could find a good base to start with having mostly cosmetic dmg on the plastics.

The aluminum framed SS bikes will have that beefy frame that is a huge part of the look.

If you haven't, I'd strongly suggest you look at other "katana" specific street fighters, and asses if any of them came close to what you want to it to look like.

It would be a lot easier to get what you want from the Kat though if you get past the aversion you have to modding the parts you have.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X