X

Ark Ozark Run 2009 Ride Report

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ark Ozark Run 2009 Ride Report

We made it back to north central Missouri with no accidents, dumps, scratches or other mishaps (other than loosing some food to the raccoons).

We rode from Kansas City to Jasper Ark on June 5th after work at around 4:15pm and arrived around 9:30pm. Our route to Jasper was MO Hwy 71 out of K.C. to MO Hwy 7 to MO Hwy 13 to I-44 east to US 65 south to Harrison Ark picking up AR Hwy 7 south the last 18 miles to Jasper.

Out of Jasper on June 6th my brother rode up from Atkins Ark area on his Zook DR200 to ride for the day with us. We traveled south to AR Hwy 374 east to AR Hwy 123 North (part of the Ark Dragon), to US Hwy 65. We stopped here for breakfast and the food was good and the price was low. After breakfast we headed South on US Hwy 65 to AR Hwy 235 north, to AR Hwy 14 south. We stayed on AR Hwy 14 until turning off into Blanchard Springs Caverns Campground (see Wet Kat Post in Katana Talk). We setup our camp. This is one of the nicer campgrounds in the area and we got a site right next to the restrooms and showers, but far enough away to not be troubled by all the noise. After getting camp setup we headed out back to AR Hwy 14 to AR Hwy 5 North to AR Hwy 341 (Push Mountain). This has to be one of the best riding roads in the country. Not sure how many curves but the lower 20-25 miles of the 35 mile road has a ton of them. It was at the end of this road that my brother told us goodbye and headed home as we had been riding for the better part of 8-10 hours. Steve and I heaed back to the sourth or east depending on how you look at the map on AR Hwy 14 back to camp. AR Hwy 14 is also a fun road in most areas.

June 7th saw us a bit tired and sore so for the most part we just hung out at camp until lunch. We took AR Hwy 14 east to AR Hwy 5 into Mountain View. After lunch we headed west on AR Hwy 66 (boring for the most part but a few good areas) to AR hwy 263 North (fun road here) to AR Hwy 14 back to camp. A short ride this day, but that was OK as after we headed down to the small river to soak up some water, sun and bikini/babe watching.

June 8th saw us up early breaking camp. We headed out around 0730 that morning with the bikes all loaded up. We headed West/North on AR Hwy 14 to AR Hwy 27 North to US 65 North stopping for breakfast Just south of Marshal at a restruant (can't remember the name, but we stopped due to thier sign stating "Bikers Welcome". Agian thie food was good while the prices low. We then headed up US Hwy 65 to AR Hwy 123. We headed south on AR Hwy 123 (the Ark Dragon). We rode the dragon tip to tail. If you make this run be aware of the hairpin 10MPH corners in the middle section. At the bottom of the dragon we turn east on AR Hwy 164 to AR Hwy 7 south and stopped in Dover for Fuel. We called my parents from here and got the invite to come over. We headed out of Dover on AR Hwy 27 to Hector then on to my parents house. My parents put us up for the night and allowed us to wash our dirty clothes. That afternoon we headed out to dinner with my parents and meeting my brother. After dinner my parents went on to some planned evening activities while Steve, my brother and I went for about a 2 hour ride.

June 9th we headed down to Appleton ARK to a little place called "Whizzies" for breakfast. Again good food for low prices. We then headed back up north on AR Hwy 27 out of Hector to AR Hwy 16 East to Clinton ARK. After a fill up we then went east again on AR Hwy 16 to AR Hwy 107 south to AR Hwy 124 west back to AR Hwy 107 south to AR Hwy 310 to AR Hwy 107 (again) to AR Hwy 36 to AR Hwy 64 west ending up at Steve Aunts place. She fixed us a great meal and put us up for the night even. Great lady and I even got an invite to visit again sometime (she could have been being polite one never knows, but I think I may take it at face value as that lady cooked an awesome meal)

June 10th saw kind of a late start around 0930 saw us headed north on AR Hwy 65 to Ar Hwy 16 West to AR hwy 27 north to Ar Hwy 16 west again. On this section of AR Hwy 16 between AR hwy 27 and the small town of Ben Hur is know as the tail of the Copperhead and then heading on west on 16 to AR Hwy 7 is know as the head of the Copperhead or overall as the Copperhead. Here we stopped at Pelsor (know to those if us that grew there as Sand Gap for a break. We then headed south on the lower part of AR Hwy 123 (Fun enough to run multiple times) down to Clarksville ARK. We then headed west on I-40 to AR Hwy 23 North or as it is known the "Pig Trail". We ran on AR Hwy 23 and stopped at Huntsville for fuel and bio break. Here we met up with a guy named Tim on a BMW K1300GT out of St. Louis. We rode together until Eureka Springs where he was stopping for the night. Steve and I headed on north until AR Hwy 23 turns into MO Hwy 86 to Cassville. We considered spending the night here, but decided to come on home instead as we were only about 5 more hours away. the route here is unimportant. It was during this stretch that we got caught in a severe t-storm almost getting blown off the road before finding place to stop. After the storm passed we headed on home finally seperating at Nevada MO. He headed home to Odessa MO area and me to K.C.

There all great roads in that area hope you get a chance to go and enjoy.

Us at the top of Push Mountain

At the bottom of Push Mtn (Still alive)

The Kats resting at a US Army Corps of Engineers campground at Greers Ferry Lake

Last edited by 40something; 06-11-2009, 08:30 PM. Reason: Pix URL
    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

wow, you drove right by me and didn't stop to say hi? j/k
    92 Katana 600
    ------
    GO BLUE!!!

Comment

****! I wish I already had my Kat here and I had read thi post earlier. If I had I might have already driven to TX to get my bike.

Comment

Great write up! Glad you guys had a good trip!
        Godspeed
        CSBA #1167
        Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Next time I'll try and let you guys know when we are coming down
          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

well next year buddy I will have my VFR and will join you. too bas I sold my RC to soon, but I think i would be cursing 1/2 from a mad case of monkey butt

Comment

Sounds like a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by KatDawg View Post
                Sounds like a blast.

Come join us next year

Comment

Working...
                X